PDA

View Full Version : First CH-148s delivered to CAF - finally!

rotornut
20th Jun 2015, 13:28
CH-148 Cyclones delivered to Halifax airbase - Nova Scotia - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/ch-148-cyclones-delivered-to-halifax-airbase-1.3119737)

500e
21st Jun 2015, 13:19
Sea King replacements: $7.6B Cyclone maritime helicopters lack key safety requirement - Politics - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sea-king-replacements-7-6b-cyclone-maritime-helicopters-lack-key-safety-requirement-1.2684036)

Why bother with tenders :{

Ian Corrigible
21st Jun 2015, 14:06
Plus concerns that even the second engine upgrade being developed for the Cyclone might not be enough:

DND concerned about new Cyclone helicopter's engines (http://ottawacitizen.com/news/politics/dnd-concerned-about-new-cyclone-helicopters-engines)

I/C

The Sultan
21st Jun 2015, 20:04
No doubt the CH-148 fiasco was a major contributor to the UTC's decision to dump Sikorsky along with delays on the CH-53K and no market for the S-76D. It is possible that the new owner will write the program off in the purchase price and require Canada to pay for any fixes. The only prospective owner that probably would not do this would be Textron/Bell with their strong Canadian foot print.

The Sultan

twinstar_ca
21st Jun 2015, 22:51
As a Canadian tax payer, I would be some pissed off at that... :=:*

The Sultan
22nd Jun 2015, 03:56
Twin

I would have thought the $250M per aircraft would have been enough to piss off every Canadian already.

The Sultan

500e
22nd Jun 2015, 11:49
Less the penalty payments :E

Strider21
25th Jun 2015, 20:58
The acquisition contract is only 1.9 Billion of which only 1.5 Billion is for the actual aircraft. The other .4 Billion is for a variety of things like the modification of 28 ships, the training facilities, and spares. The second contract is for the 20 year in service support. Your 250m per aircraft is incorrect. Not that it matters but the actual figure is closer to 60m per aircraft.

Peter-RB
1st Jul 2015, 13:01
Being as I am a civilian and not really up to accounts going beyond £1M, do I assume all spares plus all training and Fuel plus wear and Tear + upgrades are also covered by that Eye watering Contract Price. Or has this Heli been designed just for the Canadians and no one else..!!??:confused::eek:

I am sure somebody is putting a "B" in the wrong column... perhaps adventurous accounting..eh! :ouch:

Ian Corrigible
3rd Feb 2016, 15:36
This week's HELiDATA (http://www.aviapress.co.uk/hdn.htm) provides the following update, 12 years into the program:

Industry sources suggest that the OTE (operational testing and evaluation) programme for the Cyclone is showing further slippage, with virtually no flying taking place in the last quarter of 2015 and the aircraft now unlikely to reach initial operating capability by 2021. Full operational capability is not now expected until 2028.

I/C

The Sultan
4th Feb 2016, 02:03
The insult is that Canada will be paying exactly the same per year for these ramp rocks as they would if they were fully operational.

The Sultan

Viper 7
4th Feb 2016, 12:06
How many Seahawk Romeos can one buy for CDN$8 Billion?

We do have a new gov't...

SansAnhedral
4th Feb 2016, 14:10
From the CBC article linked by the OP:

However, when directly asked that same question by another reporter Kenney responded, "Yes," the new helicopters could fly longer than the 30 minutes without requiring additional lubricant.

:=:=:=

Hansen said the gearbox lubricant specification is unnecessary.

"I think it was a bogus requirement to begin with. Nobody else in the world has to do that," he said. "To fly 30 minutes [without lubricant] is a modern engineering miracle."

:suspect:

noooby
4th Feb 2016, 17:02
Viper 7, if you look back at the period 2000-2006, you'll see it was a Liberal government who chose the S92 in the first place.

By the time these things get into service, it will be time to start looking for a replacement!

:ugh:

Lonewolf_50
5th Feb 2016, 20:22
Viper 7, if you look back at the period 2000-2006, you'll see it was a Liberal government who chose the S92 in the first place.

By the time these things get into service, it will be time to start looking for a replacement!

:ugh:
Just like the F-35, only a bit cheaper. :}
It's OK to mention the F-35, the B Model can Hover, so it could be classes as an honorary helicopter. :cool:

deHav8
14th Feb 2016, 01:03
What is the problem with the engines? Simply not enough power for the payload?

heli1
14th Feb 2016, 11:11
Yep...plans to develop a higher power engine were abandoned .