PDA

View Full Version : Extra VFR privileges with IMCR

Zonkor
19th Jun 2015, 10:29
A well-know privilege of a UK IMC rating (IMCR) is that it allows the holder to exploit the low visibility minimums in class G airspace (1500m if below 3000 feet agl and less than 140 kts speed), whereas PPL holders without IMCR are limited by the higher minimums of their license of 3000m (all clear of cloud, in sight of surface). The IFR privileges are only valid in IK airspace, but the above is valid also outside of UK airspace.

My questions are:

1. To actually make use of the lower minimums of 1500m, does the holder of the IMCR to fulfill the its currency requirements, or merely have to own an IMCR?

2. I heard that a second privilege of an IMCR, also valid outside of UK airspace, is the ability to fly VFR on top without surface in sight. Can you confirm this, and does the pilot to be IMCR-current to exercise that privilege?

Thanks a lot,

Michael

Mach Jump
19th Jun 2015, 10:39
Hi Michael.

Neither of the privileges you have mentioned require an IMC Rating.

During JAA times, this was the case for UK PPLs only.

All other JAA and EASA PPLs have always had these privileges.

MJ:ok:

alexbrett
19th Jun 2015, 11:37
Also what do you mean by IMCR-current - I'm assuming you mean holding a valid rating as there are no currency requirements specifically within it (though obviously it would be rather foolish to go into solid IMC 24 months after having passed the test and not having done anything in between!)

Johnm
19th Jun 2015, 13:22
Actually the IMCR vis minimum is 1800 metres which is now an anomaly as a vanilla PPL can legally fly in 1500 under EASA. The same is true about VFR on top an EASA PPL holder can now do that.

The main benefit of the IMCR is to be able to accept an IFR clearance in controlled airspace other than Class A and to fly instrument approaches, these privileges are currently restricted to the UK.

BEagle
22nd Jun 2015, 06:00
A UK PPL does include the full ICAO VMC privileges of the JAR-FCL or Part-FCL licence; to exercise the full ICAO VMC privileges using a UK PPL, the holder is required to have a valid IMCR included in the licence.

These anomalies might well be resolved following the UK ANO review, as should the take-off and landing visibility minima.