PDA

View Full Version : Using EASA PPL in the US

slw29
19th Jun 2015, 09:39
I am planning on spending several months in the US and would like to do some flying there. I hold an EASA PPL and will be in the NYC area for a bit and then in Las Vegas and California. I have a few questions, and would be grateful for some local knowledge, as well as any tips from Brits who have done similar whilst on holiday.

I realise I could fly G-reg without anything but a check ride but I would prefer to get the proper US certification so I have more flexibility, as well as having a few lessons to get to grips with the doubtless different way of doing things over there.

1. I understand that it is possible to piggyback my EASA PPL into a US Private Pilot Certificate. Is this something that is straightforward to do at any flying school or is it a procedure that only certain places will be familiar with?

2. Could anyone recommend such a flying school in the NYC area, or in Vegas?

3. From checking the air space it seems to be possible to fly low over the water around Manhattan, are such sight-seeing trips doable from a local field?

4. What should I expect costs to be in the US for typical rental (say a C172) and instruction?

Thanks
Sam

MarkerInbound
19th Jun 2015, 10:33
It's not done by a flight school, it's done by the FAA. You provide them with information, they contact your CAA to verify your license and you go to a FAA office to pick up your certificate. Since you're a Brit, your CAA wants paperwork saying the FAA will be asking about you. After you get your certificate you have to complete a flight review with an instructor to be current. The regs require a minimum of 1 hour ground and 1 hour flight time for the review but I'd plan on several hours ground time to get up to speed on the differences.

Airmen Certification ? Verify the Authenticity of a Foreign License, Rating, or Medical Certification (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/)

slw29
19th Jun 2015, 10:42
Great, thank you. I should have realised some form filling would be involved. Good job I've got a few months!

Mark 1
19th Jun 2015, 22:02
Flying the Hudson River corridor below 1300' is done all the time. You will need the TAC chart and a thorough brief. You can even circle the statue of Liberty at 600' following the standard procedure.

Rental of a Skyhawk is in the range $100-180/hr depending on age/kit/location etc. An instructor will add $25-60/hr typically. You will need at least 2 hours of instructor time to get your flight review to be legal - that's 1 hr ground and 1 hr flight. If you're new to flying in the US, you may need a bit more than that.

I've flown that route myself but no specific knowledge of clubs and rental in that area.

For Vegas, most people head to Henderson.

worldpilot
21st Jun 2015, 10:49
And, for rental purposes, don't forget to acquire insurance coverage.:=

WP