PDA

View Full Version : Blackbushe Landing fees

Bushebiggles
17th Jun 2015, 17:04
Has anyone visited EGLK recently? The last time I visited about 2 years ago I thought the fees were high at £24 (although discount if 50l uplifted. That was in a PA28.
This week I needed to visit the area and I chose EGLK, and due to short notice took the ac available a C152. I was outraged to be charged £27.80 and no offer of discount for fuel uplift. Fortunately I did not need to stay overnight and incur parking charges.
It seems the management have decided they now have jets landing there and that puts them in the commercial league able to charge recreational pilots high fees and discourage their visit. It si not even as if they have any decent landing aids, relying simply on NDB+DME.
I suppose they view if you can afford to fly you can afford our fees!! Fortunately there are other nearby airfields that welcome visitors and charge reasonable landing fees and parking.
So unless you have a big wallet and cash to spare avoid EGLK
Bushebiggles

soaringhigh650
17th Jun 2015, 17:38
I was outraged to be chargedSo am I, but I thought 25 pounds was quite reasonable in the UK given you guys don't fund your airports from public money.

Shall I tell you the charges for a 152 at Shoreham and Stanstead? :}

piperboy84
17th Jun 2015, 18:38
Don't feel bad, I took the other half for a drink at the hotel bar in Liverpool last week, she ordered some shyte with an umbrella in it and I got a gin and tonic, the smarmy scouse git gave me a bill for 22 quid then was hovering around looking for a tip the cheeky bar steward.

Simon T
17th Jun 2015, 18:58
Steady on there!

Simon (another scouser)

piperboy84
17th Jun 2015, 19:13
Sorry Simon you are right I apologise and retract the Scouse bit. Smarmy git still stands

xrayalpha
17th Jun 2015, 20:01
Tried parking a car at an airport?

The Ancient Geek
17th Jun 2015, 20:02
Do you have any idea what it costs to run an airfield ?
Spend a few moments to figure out how many 152 landings it takes just to pay one man a decent wage. How many men do you need ?.
Now add in rates, taxes, CAA fees, maintainance, assorted overheads etc.

An airfield takes up several hundred acres of land worth a few million so you need a 10 percent pretax return on that to make it worthwhile to keep the developers at bay.

Its an expensive business and if it cannot make a decent profit it will be lost.

Simon T
17th Jun 2015, 20:47
Fair 😀

Simon

Gertrude the Wombat
17th Jun 2015, 21:27
An airfield takes up several hundred acres of land worth a few million
Only if it's in the middle of nowhere.

If it's anywhere with people around it's not "a few million", it's from "a few hundred million" up to a billion or two.

You try explaining to shareholders why their £1bn asset is earning £25 a handful of times per hour. Before costs.

chevvron
18th Jun 2015, 00:49
This week I needed to visit the area and I chose EGLK, and due to short notice took the ac available a C152. I was outraged to be charged £27.80 and no offer of discount for fuel uplift.
£12.60 incl VAT at an airfield (hard runway) not far from Blackbushe

John R81
18th Jun 2015, 10:38
Must admit I avoid Blackbushe because of the landing fee (helicopter). Never been in there.