PDA

View Full Version : Cockpit Life and Long Transits

Sean7432
6th Jun 2015, 21:29
I'm considering a career in the airlines but I'm not a particularly talkative or extroverted individual. Do most airline pilots expect to constantly chat with eachother for hours or do they keep to themselves? I am someone who prefers minimal conversation, especially long periods of smalltalk, and would usually just prefer reading a book or something during transit. Is that weird?

Does it suck to fly with quiet guys or is it welcomed? Are there a lot of airline pilots like me out there? I'd love to hear input from some real airline pilots! Thanks all.

galaxy flyer
7th Jun 2015, 02:48
Three topics over forty years--sex, salary and seniority. Talk about those three and you'll fit in. It's flying a plane, not a library.

Intruder
7th Jun 2015, 03:10
There are lots of bookworms in the cockpit. Usually the chatter dies down after the first fuel check in cruise...

JB007
7th Jun 2015, 16:59
Big airline, just do your job well! End of!

I work for a small airline, we're all mates, we know each other, Boeing 757/767 fleet of 3 aircraft...very easy! I love that, don't ever wish to be a "seniority number" ever again...

Despite HR involvement these days, it's still about where you fit...but it's also just a job! Just do your best...

AerocatS2A
13th Jun 2015, 14:06
Dont worry about the social aspect of flying. If you want it enough you will do it regardless.

B737900er
13th Jun 2015, 14:39
Sorry guys but there is nothing worst than siting in silence for 6 hours. I suggest single pilot flying if you want to be quiet and left alone.

westhawk
13th Jun 2015, 19:25
If you want to be an effective component of a two pilot cockpit, a little flexibility goes a long ways. I certainly have my own preferences, but I can deal with either the talkative or taciturn type of crew-mate. Even real jerks. Less pleasant perhaps, but entirely within my capability to tolerate and even work effectively with. What I find difficult to tolerate is being on the ground when I'd rather be in the air!

parabellum
13th Jun 2015, 23:31
Sean7432 - when you say 'Transit' are you talking about time in the cruise, time on the ground during an extended turn-around or time spent in hotels awaiting your next trip?

The first two have been covered above.

If it is the lay-over time spent in hotels then feel free to do your own thing. The days of the crew party and crew outings are not gone, totally, but are much reduced, multiple reasons for this sad state of affairs.

On the subject of affairs, I have lost count of the times when a captain or FO said, "may not join you in the bar, I have an aunt/relative who lives here and I must see her/them, she/them expects it", very little chance the 'relative' is in any way a blood relative and is frequently of the opposite sex and about the same age as said captain/FO!;)

ShotOne
14th Jun 2015, 09:40
Some pilots rabbit on all day, Sean. Others quietly get on with the job. Relax, and welcome to our profession; it takes all sorts