PDA

View Full Version : Is Perranporth Licenced?

PA28181
6th Jun 2015, 08:23
Getting confusing info about this, all Google answers say "The airfield has two licenced tarmac runways" but looking in the AIP Aerodrome specific for EGTP there is no entry.

S-Works
6th Jun 2015, 09:26
Why do you need it to be?

The Ancient Geek
6th Jun 2015, 10:45
Many airfields have given up their licenced status to save money since the recent CAA announcement that training no longer requires a licenced field.
This removes a lot of admin and expense for fields which are only used for private flying.

Licencing is still required for commercial operations so if the passengers are paying you can no longer land there.

flybymike
6th Jun 2015, 11:44
Licencing is still required for commercial operations so if the passengers are paying you can no longer land there.
Does that then mean for example, that it is not possible to charter a helicopter and land at a private unlicensed site?

The Ancient Geek
6th Jun 2015, 12:01
Does that then mean for example, that it is not possible to charter a helicopter and land at a private unlicensed site?

Helicopter landings are a different can of worms because they can land almost anywhere. Commercial helicopter operations would still need to operate from a licenced site.

mrmum
6th Jun 2015, 21:00
So if you are say operating a C172 on an AOC doing pleasure flights or photography, then you can only operate from licences airfields? During their notified opening hours, when ATC and RFFS are available?

PA28181
6th Jun 2015, 21:48
Why do you need it to be?

I don't.

I wanted to get proper airfield info and looked in the official source and found none, hence the confusion over what appears now on-line (Google)and is out of date.

The Ancient Geek
6th Jun 2015, 22:14
So if you are say operating a C172 on an AOC doing pleasure flights or photography, then you can only operate from licences airfields? During their notified opening hours, when ATC and RFFS are available? As I understand it (but check with CAA) this is correct.
Another reason why going unlicenced can be a shortsighted option.

In the end it all comes down to money, operating a licenced field is expensive and the owner needs to attract enough commercial operations income to justify the cost.

In the case of Perranporth the field has been for sale for a long time and it is being operated by the local flying club faced with the possibility of a sale to developers at any time.
The airfield is in danger and nobody is going to spend money until the situation is resolved.

The complication is that large parts of the field are a scheduled monument and English Heritage are involved in any potential changes. Scheduled Monument status is the big daddy of protection.
The only surviving WW2 fighter dispersal pens are protected to the same
level as Stonehenge or St Pauls.

The Ancient Geek
6th Jun 2015, 22:19
I wanted to get proper airfield info and looked in the official source and found none, hence the confusion over what appears now on-line (Google)and is out of date.

So get hold of the flying club and ask them to sort out their website and wikipedia listing.
The CAA information is, of course, the one to believe.

TheOddOne
7th Jun 2015, 12:29
Getting confusing info about this, all Google answers say "The airfield has two licenced tarmac runways" but looking in the AIP Aerodrome specific for EGTP there is no entry.

Yes, Perranporth is no longer licensed. Action is being taken to remove the overlooked comment on one site which states otherwise.

As always, the official publication, the IAIP, is the place to look (incidentally, it's published by NATS, NOT the CAA). There is no entry, of course. It was removed at the time of delicensing.

TOO

Talkdownman
7th Jun 2015, 13:26
the IAIP, is the place to look (incidentally, it's published by NATS, NOT the CAA)
From UK IAIP GEN 0.1-1 (http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadbasic/pamslight-CD2B3248C03A649A7164E9051D1F7726/7FE5QZZF3FXUS/EN/AIP/GEN/EG_GEN_0_1_en_2014-08-21.pdf):

UNITED KINGDOM AIP

1 Publishing Authority

1.1 The United Kingdom Integrated Aeronautical Information Package (IAIP) CAP032 is published by authority of the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).

'Chuffer' Dandridge
9th Jun 2015, 21:44
By authority, not by.

ICAO requires signatories to the convention to publish an AIP, the CAA outsource this to NATS.

TheOddOne
15th Jun 2015, 07:00

I understand that as far as the Perranporth Flying Club website is concerned, the offending sentence referring to licensing under the 'About' tab has been removed.

I also understand that visitors are still VERY welcome, call the new PPR number, as the airfield is now being run directly by the owners.

TOO

The Ancient Geek
15th Jun 2015, 09:56
I also understand that visitors are still VERY welcome, call the new PPR number, as the airfield is now being run directly by the owners.

Are you sure, the last I heard the owner was living in Jersey and the field was for sale ?
Has it been quietly sold to new owners ?
BTW the website www.perranporthairfield.co.uk is broken.

PA28181
15th Jun 2015, 13:44
Not sure about that website, as it includes links for sperm donors and spurious links to some flying activities.

The Ancient Geek
15th Jun 2015, 15:28
Not sure about that website, as it includes links for sperm donors and spurious links to some flying activities.

None of that shows up here, I am using AdBlock and Ghostery.
Highly recommended to keep the crap out of your browser.

It WAS the owners official site for the field but seems to have been neglected
and secumbed to bitrot and hackers.

TheOddOne
15th Jun 2015, 17:52
The new airfield web site is

PerranPorth Airfield (http://www.perranporthairfield.com)

apparently

TOO

The Ancient Geek
16th Jun 2015, 00:17
<takes a look>

No, it is a second Perranporth Flying Club site, incomplete and claiming to have 2 licenced runways (again).

So now they have 2 incomplete, misleading and amateurish websites, looks like the place is going to the dogs with driving lessons and trucks getting in the way of flying.

From ghoulies and ghosties and longlegged beasties and daft clubs that give us a fright, good lord deliver us.

robin
16th Jun 2015, 09:20
Give the guys a break.

Most of the staff are volunteers and have kept the airfield going through a very bad patch through their efforts. To criticise their website is a bit below the belt.

Whenever I've phoned them they've been helpful and informative, so if you have a question for them, speak to them.....

PA28181
16th Jun 2015, 13:22
To criticise their website is a bit below the belt.

Hardly below the belt to point out that info obtained from official sources contradicts an airfields website regarding it's licenced state, and airfield management wether volounteer or not, should ensure that on-line info is the same as official sources.

maxred
16th Jun 2015, 15:29
wether

As a point of good order, WHETHER.

They are giving up their time to run, and keep, the place open. Well done to them.....the website, is frankly, the least of their concerns

PA28181
16th Jun 2015, 22:01
WHETHER.

Wil trie 'arder neks time.

No need to shout.....

Sir George Cayley
16th Jun 2015, 22:18
It's a long way from that Lunun!

Anyway, aerodromes that don't cater for commercial flights requiring a licence are in a better position being able to divest themselves of any CAA intervention.

SGC

The Ancient Geek
17th Jun 2015, 00:06
Licencing and CAA supervision is all about safety.

Delicencing and then teaching children to drive on an active airfield is not just unsafe, it smells strongly of financial desperation.

If flying clubs charged the same membership fees as their local golf club this kind of nonsense would not be necessary.

POBJOY
17th Jun 2015, 07:32
PERRANPORTH is still very much alive and well,with the dual use not affecting the flying in any way.
Having such a large space to utilise (plus the peri track) the airfield can easily accommodate other activities and in fact helps to provide a secure future.
I can only assume the negative comments seen on the thread are made by persons who have not used the facility.
Keeping an airfield 'open' is quite difficult in these times so the reality of some dual use is far better than no airfield at all.
A fabulous location which has not changed that much since it opened in 1942 i would suggest a visit will not disappoint,and is only a phone call away for up to date information.
The flying club continues to operate and a call to 'Ben' will always be met with a friendly response.
The club do not actually operate the airfield,but their existence ensures the facility is available even out of hours.
There is an active Para drop zone which is mainly in use at w-ends but the nearby Newquay Airport oversee the ATC part of this.
Comparison with golf clubs is a joke,as most of them down here are very short of members,so no contest.

captain_flynn
19th Jun 2015, 01:40
I sincerely hope things pick up there. Spent a few years flying from Perranporth, such a lovely airfield. Must go back there sometime.