PDA

View Full Version : air ministry WWII astro compass 1942

laurisa
2nd Jun 2015, 14:10
Hi, this is my first time posting.
I have this astro compass, it was my dad's, I've heard it contains radium, I'm just wondering if anyone knows if this is true.
Thanks

megan
3rd Jun 2015, 05:00
Radium, (a radioactive isotope) was a material used during the war to paint the numbers on the instrument dials in order to provide luminescence. Not a concern I'd think to you, although in the production line it did cause problems and deaths.

Have a look at the following if you have concerns http://www.epa.gov/radiation/radionuclides/radium.html

Bushfiva
3rd Jun 2015, 06:30
Since it's an astro compass, I assume you're referring to painted markings on the surface rather than on a dial behind glass. The (slight) risk is from flaking markings.

Also, note that the phosphor was usually zinc sulphide: the radium made the phosphor glow. The phosphor wears out after a few tens of years and stops glowing. However, the radium has a half-life of 1500 or 1600 years, so is as lively as the day it was applied. So don't think that non-glowing numbers are safe numbers.

I'd probably wear latex gloves or similar when handling it, just out of an abundance of care. The gloves would protect you from alpha radiation (indeed, dead skin cells do a reasonable job).