PDA

View Full Version : Swanwick Visit

paulo
11th Jun 2002, 17:41
See post 16ish of this thread for the final details...

Evo7
11th Jun 2002, 17:51
I've got Golf Lima Delta booked for 3pm Sunday, so I'm out :(

AerBabe
11th Jun 2002, 18:00
Thanks Paulo!
But...gonna be up in Yorkshire Saturday night, and not sure what time I'll get home. Pretty likely it won't be in time though :( Put me down for the next trip though!

paulo
11th Jun 2002, 18:15
Evo & Aerbabe - thanks for letting me know (I wasn't going to invite you anyway :D )

Evo7
11th Jun 2002, 18:56
:p

OK AerBabe, you a better organizer than me...? :)

AerBabe
11th Jun 2002, 20:46
Depends on what needs organising!
Can manage a pi55 up in a brewery... ;)
Fancy one? (pi55 up that is)

matspart3
11th Jun 2002, 22:02
Just for info, if you're planning to fly there, landing fee and parking for a PA28 at EGHI is £43 and a return taxi trip cost £28

....go to PC World instead, looks the same, free parking!:D

BRL
12th Jun 2002, 02:55
Confirmed. I will e-mail you later today. Just got in, loooooooooooong shift, poor weather, very, very tired. Look out for e-mail around midday. :)

FlyingForFun
12th Jun 2002, 09:00
Confirmed. Will also e-mail you later today. Flying up there - now that's a thought! Will have to see if the plane's free first though. But if anyone else is thinking about flying there, drop me a mail at [email protected] - no point paying for two taxis.

FFF
---------------

FlyingForFun
12th Jun 2002, 09:57
Damn, the plane's already booked for Sunday, so it looks like I'll be driving. Never mind - should be an interesting afternoon anyway!

FFF
---------------

eyeinthesky
12th Jun 2002, 10:09
It's a pity I'm not on duty on Sun pm. It would have been good to meet a few faces behind the aliases!

I hope you enjoy your visit. Unless policy has changed recently, however, I think you won't get any closer to the Ops Room than the viewing gallery. There is a ban on visitors (other than bigwigs) on the Ops Room floor at present. I think they're worried someone might kick the plug out by mistake..:D

Wycombe
12th Jun 2002, 12:21
eyeinthesky..

No access to Ops Room was certainly the case when I visited a few weeks back. Good view of how it's all organised from the Gallery though.

We did visit the Simulator (which is the same as the Ops Room, only without live radar data to look at), and were given a very thorough look at the system and it's capabilities.

Very impressive I thought it was too (although, yes, some of the text is a bit small!)

Whirlybird
12th Jun 2002, 13:06
Can't make it. :( Just too long a trip from North Wales on an already ridiculously busy weekend. Thanks a lot anyway.

AerBabe
12th Jun 2002, 15:36
Woohoo!! I can make it now! Seems I'll be driving back from Yorkshire very very early on Sunday morning. So I should be able to grab a few hours kip before the mad dog downstairs wakes me up (I mean the canine, not the landlady). :p
See y'all there kids! :)

HelenD
12th Jun 2002, 16:10
If there is no room for me can you let me know how I can arrange a visit of my own please. I really would like to go.

MikeSamuel
12th Jun 2002, 20:34
Not standing by I'm afraid, got to go to work :( Enjoy it, and thanks for the offer in the first place :D

paulo
13th Jun 2002, 17:54
A repeat of the final instructions!

---------snip---------------

OK, Here's the deal for this Sunday.

FFF - Confirmed! :cool:
Aerbabe - Confirmed! :cool:
HelenD - Confirmed! :cool:
BRL - Confirmed or no???

Meetup is 14:45pm at Swanwick Railway Station.

Liaison on the day...

Aerbabe - If FFF doesn't have your number, and you are coming seperately, please mail me your number.

BRL - If you are coming, send me your number.

(FFF & HelenD I have your numbers - cheers)

AerBabe
13th Jun 2002, 18:01
No worries, FFF has my number, and I'm picking him up en route anyway. If BRL doesn't read this let me know, and I'll sell you his mobile number for a fiver ;) :D

HelenD
13th Jun 2002, 18:33
As I am local to Swanwick if anyone is flying in to southampton and would like a lift please let me know.