PDA

View Full Version : IRI Upgrade.

portsharbourflyer
30th May 2015, 20:18
Just wondered what anyone is getting paid per hour for IMC/IR(R) instructing.

I am trying to work out if it is worth doing the upgrade on my FI rating.

I have the IFR time required, just wondered if the hourly rates are worth it.

dobbin1
30th May 2015, 21:00
At our small flying school it is £25 per hour (takeoff to landing, plus 0.2) for normal instruction, £30.00 for IRR or aerobatics. No doubt you can earn more at bigger commercial schools.

Duchess_Driver
30th May 2015, 22:57
It depends on how long you're working out the 'payback'.

As dobbin1 says the normal rates for IMC/IR(r) instruction are elevated above normal PPL rates and vary from school to school. Think of the investment not only over 1 renewal but over several and the figures stack up well.

However, it's another string to the bow and should bring a refreshing change to a normal days instructing at PPL level.

There are not many IRI's coming through at the moment so the opportunities do open up for those who do reach the magic figure of IFR time (we're screaming out for them). Add an ME CRI and life becomes very interesting indeed.

portsharbourflyer
31st May 2015, 01:08
Dutchess Driver

With the shortage of IRIs do you think there is any chance of a flight school funding or part funding the upgrade? That question also applies for the MEI?

Duchess_Driver
1st Jun 2015, 13:04
It very much depends.

Before I suggest to my boss a development plan for an instructor I have to know what I am going to get in return. I would not suggest any development without a proven track record of instructing for us and a reasonable guarantee that I'm going to get my 'spend' back.

My budget is stretched tight enough as it is with standards rides, lpcs, opcs and such like it can't take too much in the way of development training. Pity, but a fact of most ATO budgets these days

But, I appreciate it is a catch 22 scenario - I can't develop somebody who doesn't meet the experience requirements but in the most cases they need that development to meet the experience requirements.

It matters not from my point of view whether it's MEI, IRI or FICI I will do my best to develop those who I consider deserve it and the plodders can, well, plod.

portsharbourflyer
2nd Jun 2015, 20:06
DD,

Thanks for the response.

Seems to be one or two adverts around for IMC/IRR instructors, so seems it is worth considering doing the upgrade.