PDA

View Full Version : weston or dublin int?

long final
11th Jun 2002, 14:13
I am off to Dublin on Sunday, and am after any info of either weston or dublin. I did ask this some months ago, when I last planned a trip there, but didn't make it, and have forgotton what was said. :o

Regards,
LF

NovNov
11th Jun 2002, 15:58
I would go to Weston ... Friendly Folk and a lot cheaper and less hassle to get to than the main one. Also if the wind is right Dublin ATC normally want you out of their hair pronto so they bring you in at the mouth of the Liffe and then fly you straight up at 1500' :)

Only gotcha is that both times I've been I filed my return flight plan over the phone and each time I made it back home before the flight plan! The Irish sea is big, wide and cold!

Enjoy!

cblinton@blueyonder.
11th Jun 2002, 19:47
Definately go to Weston.
Dublin requires a handling agent and is very expensive.
Weston is cheap I think I payed £15.00 in a twin and a taxi into Dublin is only 15 mins.
Have a good one !!!

long final
11th Jun 2002, 21:37
Thanks both. The only real reason to think of Dublin now is that we need to leave Ireland at 7am Monday and we will be near MAUW, so the long RW has its advantage.

Anyone know what time Weston ( and a phone number would be useful ) opens and how much the handling/landing fee is at Dublin Int.?

Thanks,
LF

dublinpilot
12th Jun 2002, 10:16
I think weston opens at 8 am. But not exactly sure.

There phone number is 00-353-1-6280435

15 Min taxi to Dublin city centre is a bit optomistic!!!

Count on 30 minutes off peek, and 1 hour during rush hour (7:30-9:30am & 5:00 to 7:00pm). That's going into the city. Comming out count on about 30 minutes all the time.

NovNov
12th Jun 2002, 12:57
Also check out http://www.westonairport.com/

Mister Gash
12th Jun 2002, 16:50
Also be aware that the airspace surrounding Weston has recently been revised. Check AIP for details and ring ahead for any revised joining procedures. Circuit is mayhem there at the weekends!

long final
12th Jun 2002, 18:36
I have to leave Dublin by 7-30am Monday, so its gonna have to be Dublin this time. Thanks for your replys. Could just do with knowing how much Dublins going to cost for the overnight and handling etc. if anyone has experience.

Could always ring them I suppose ;)

Regards,
LF

cblinton@blueyonder.
12th Jun 2002, 19:49
Dublin would be approx £80.00 for handling and overnight.
Check though its a few years since I went there.
Have a good one!!!!

N Reg Aztec
12th Jun 2002, 20:10
If you settle the bill with the nice folks at Weston on Sunday (or even when you arrive) then you can depart before they open - no problems.

Had plenty of early morning departures from Weston - I think the place is at it's safest when it's closed and theres little or no traffic about :D :D

GoneWest
13th Jun 2002, 00:03
LF - you don't say what kind of aircraft it is (I'll have to assume sort sort of corporate jet/business airliner) - but have a look in the flight manual and calculate the runway length reuired for departure at MAUW.

Just to be on the safe side, use an uphill slope, 25 degree OAT, a 10 knot tailwind and at least double the density altitude.

Then have another look at the runway length available at Weston - I'm sure you've already done this once if you've already planned the trip before - and then you can make the decision as to which airport you NEED for a departure at near MAUW.

Are you doing this trip IFR? Or is that phrase "NEED" to leave Dublin at 7:30am more of a "we are going to be in trouble if the weather is crap at 7:30am"?

long final
13th Jun 2002, 08:03
GW,

I wish. It's only a pa28 with four up - two small ones though - that puts us full weight. The RW at Weston really has more than enough for my needs, even factoring everything I can think of in, we would need a MAX of 650m. Just call me cautious. ;)

The 7-30am is a "need", but not a necessity. IMC is an option but there are worse places to be holed up in than Dublin. :p

Thanks for the advice.

And, seeing as we are talking T/O factors, does anyone have an excel prog to speed the job along?

Best Regards,

LF

GoneWest
13th Jun 2002, 16:44
LW - IMC is not an option.

If the zone is not VFR - at least as far as Liffy - you stay.

IMC rating is not valid in Southern Ireland.

long final
13th Jun 2002, 19:49
GW,

Appreciate the zone is VFR, it was more the over water stage I was refering to. Thanks.

Regards

LF