PDA

View Full Version : Renewing an existing FAA PPL in the US - Visa Requirements/Process..?

britflyer
23rd May 2015, 13:50
Hello,

Its many years since I've posted on Pprune but thought this might be the place to come looking for wise words regarding what is required to apply for the Visa to do the flight training / flight test / Bi Annual to get my FAA PPL current again. I have not flown for about 12 years so I'm sure a couple of hours refresher training would be required plus a flight test of some kind. I am a UK passport holder but currently a resident of Qatar, working for Qatar Airways in OCC.

I have tried looking on the TSA website for "Simple Answers" but alas its a typical government website that gives no straight forward answers.:ugh:

I am already the holder of an existing licence - does this help me..??
I'm resident in Qatar...will this hinder me...??:rolleyes:

Any help from anyone who has done similar with an expat status in the ME would be greatfully received. :ok:

Happy to discuss this off forum...msg me and I can pass my email to you.

Many thanks,

Steve Lewis

ps Forgive me if this is not the correct forum or the question has been answered as I could not find such in a search :)

worldpilot
23rd May 2015, 14:34
Britflyer,

Your FAA licence is good for life, however, you would need a current medical certificate and a BFR to get back into the cockpit and be at the controls of an aircraft without an instructor on your side (Solo Flight).:ugh:

You're not undergoing any training, so you don't need a Visa.:ok:

The only challenge for you now is how to acquire the proficiency level to confidently be at the controls. My advice would be to get an instructor and fly with him for some hours to gain back your confidence and then Go through the BFR Evaluation.:{:D

Good Luck
WP

Tankengine
24th May 2015, 02:03
Your license is good for life, but, in about 2004 there were changes that required renewal by about 2008 to get a plastic style license instead of the old cardboard type. If you contact the FAA in Oklahoma you will be able to renew license to the plastic, credit card type, do a medical and BFR and get flying.:)
The FAA is fairly computerised so you will need to establish a logon etc, your old license number should still be registered with them. I went through all this in Texas in 2012 with help from the local San Antonio guys.:ok: