PDA

View Full Version : Glass / Sunglassess

shumway76
23rd May 2015, 03:30
I am currently in need of corrective glasses.
What are my options as I would like to "combine" my corrective glasses with sunglasses. Is a clip on sunglasses the only option?
Photochromatic is out, as suggested from an ealier post...

fujii
23rd May 2015, 04:35
I use clip ons with a hinge so they can be flipped up/down as required. Don't bother with prescription sunnies, you'd need to carry a plain pair as well and one day you will need to swap them at an awkward time.

The only problem I have had with the clip ons is that they do eventually scuff acrylic lenses where they attach although the marks are not in my field of vision.

India Four Two
23rd May 2015, 05:37
A word of advice. If possible, get your glasses from an eye doctor who is familiar with the needs of pilots. I got a pair from a eyewear chain where the near, middle and far zones were wrong when I was sitting in the cockpit.

Johnm
23rd May 2015, 07:14
Avoid polaroids or some screens might become invisible. My specs have magnetic clip-ons which I can basically throw at my face when I need them and keep in the side pocket when I don't.

Andrewgr2
24th May 2015, 05:18
You can buy sunglasses with clear corrective lenses built in at the bottom. I bought mine on eBay and they work fine for me. The corrective bit is essential for reading the chart or flight guide. For me, almost essential for adjusting the altimeter. Incorrect end bit is for the most important job - looking out...

Piper.Classique
24th May 2015, 09:02
I find single vision contact lenses for the distance with a pair of half glasses for the map are a good solution. I also have a pair of varifocal glasses with the top half plain and photochromic lenses which work in my aircraft just fine. Perspex lets UV through, so they darken nicely. If you go for this, get the reading area as small as possible. Alternatively, you could have a graduated tint.

thunderbird five
24th May 2015, 09:37
Cocoons Fit-overs. Google it.

djpil
24th May 2015, 10:35
I use Pre-made "Original Style" Teal Mirror on Dark Density Gray Lenses | Zurich Rx and Non Prescription Sunglasses Out-Perform Polarized (http://extremeglaresunglasses.com/products/pre-made-original-style-teal-mirror-on-dark-density-gray-lenses) which fit over my prescription glasses. Strap instead if templepieces can be worn comfortably under a headset.
I've used these for about 20 years. Lifetime guarantee against breakage - when I turned up at Oshkosh with one I broke sitting on it the only question was what colour lens I wanted.

ChickenHouse
25th May 2015, 08:14
I am currently in need of corrective glasses.
What are my options as I would like to "combine" my corrective glasses with sunglasses. Is a clip on sunglasses the only option?
Photochromatic is out, as suggested from an ealier post...
Any special cylindrical aberration and at which dioptric power - so, how expensive would custom built be? Keep in mind, if you are in need for corrective lenses, you have to have two sets!
Photochromatics are out, oh yes, same as polarized glasses are an absolute NoGo, especially since glasscockpits become more and more common, but also because many instruments now use electronic screens with polarization.

I would go for custom made plus a clip-on. The clip-on to your ordinary lenses are backup, so you comply the second pair requirement. When I had to go corrective lenses for reading only, I took the nice lady of the shop to my plane to let measure in the exact onset position for the reading lens insert: I sat in the plane at the usual flying position and she measured the position of the line of sight of the glareshield. This was recommended by the lady, who is a pilot by herself, because the reading lens inserts in common corrective glasses are too far up for use in the cockpit (making a stiff neck from unusual positioning of the head). When I received my sunglasses I was amazed how good they are adapted to flying needs and yes, if I put them next to my standard "ground-use" glasses, there is noticable difference. So, if you go custom and I would advice to, let it done to fit to your usual plane.

gasax
25th May 2015, 08:20
I use varifocals all the time. Most of the time flying an IQ reducer (hat with a peak) gives enough shade but in brilliant sunshine I have a set of prescription sunglasses - identical prescription to the normal ones.

When the hat does not work, there is plenty of light for the 'sunnies' in even the darkest part of the cockpit.

Clipons frankly just annoy me.

phiggsbroadband
25th May 2015, 12:45
Why... Photochromatic is out, as suggested from an ealier post...

I have a pair of Prescription Photochromatics and for most British days
they stay clear, and will only slightly darken to grey in sunny weather.
I hardly notice the change, and have to take them off to see if they have darkened at all.

Maoraigh1
26th May 2015, 08:24
I used to get my second Vision Express pair tinted. I now get the same from my local optician, as the extra cost is balanced by the transport cost, since retiring to the sticks.

notjustanotherpilot
26th May 2015, 13:29
I've been using clip-ons for a few years and they seem to be Ok. Oh, and the only type of sunnies I've ever used since as long as I can remember even before I started flying nearly thirty years ago have been polarised - both the normal type of sunnies before I needed glasses to now with the clip-ons.
I have three pairs of glasses. One distance/general use pair which I have never used since getting the multifocals, one reading pair which I use for serious reading and computer work and one multifocal pair or probably what has been referred to earlier as varifocal, I use all the time and they are photochromatic but the amount they darken even out in full sun is not enough, and they are too slow to change as well - both to and from clear to tint and back. Even in the cockpit of the aircrafts I fly with their perspex windows they don't darken so I always use the clip-ons, and I have very little problems with the polarisation.
Yes I do sometimes need to tilt my head slightly to see a display better but at no time under normal ops do I ever have a display "go black" because of the polarisation.
And as stated the clip-ons do and have scratched the surface as careful as I have been in putting them on and taking them off. Might be time to get my eyes checked again and get new unscratched lenses.

fyrefli
29th May 2015, 21:48
I don't understand why photochromatic lenses are out either? I've always found them fantastic for paragliding. (I do always have to insist on brown ones to maximise appreciation of the building of clouds though. Once had quite a "discussion" because the assistant was adamant that grey would look better ;) )

Would someone care to post a brief synopsis?

27/09
30th May 2015, 04:29
don't understand why photochromatic lenses are out either? I've always found them fantastic for paragliding. (I do always have to insist on brown ones to maximise appreciation of the building of clouds though. Once had quite a "discussion" because the assistant was adamant that grey would look better )

Would someone care to post a brief synopsis?

Because in most cockpits the sunlight does not fall on the lense, as a result the lense doesn't darken sufficiently. Your eyes are in the shade looking out into the bright light.

I'm guessing when you're paragliding the glasses are exposed to the suns rays and therefore darken OK

riverrock83
30th May 2015, 09:08
Me - prescription sunglasses as the second pair from the optician.
Slightly graduated colour for extra light in the cockpit.
Aviator shaped frames for better all round sun blocking ( the reason I don't like clip on is the gap around the sides).
Grey color as tests have shown they are the best for lookout.