PDA

View Full Version : French boy flying with FAA PPL in uk ? should I try it ?

PB4
11th Jun 2002, 10:19
Hi,

I spend some money last year in completing an FAA PPL in US :D .
As I've seen what the french system looks like. For this reason I didn't even try to convert it to a French JAR licence, but in a week I'll be in uk (London) for a year and my feeling is that uk is less restrictive than france to let people flying (right ?)
My first question will be :
- What is the best way to convert my FAA PPL to an JAR PPL(A) in uk ?
then :
- Where is the best cheapper and closest flight school to London ?(if you consider going by public transportation)

thanks for your help !!

Red Four
11th Jun 2002, 20:21
What area of London are you going to?

IanSeager
12th Jun 2002, 09:25
PB4

You don't need to convert your FAA PPL to a JAR PPL if all you want to do is fly for fun in the UK. Assuming that your FAA medical and BFR are current just go to a flying school and get a club checkout in the normal way

Ian

PB4
13th Jun 2002, 12:22
Hi guys,

thanks for the replies.

RedFour, I'm gonna live in center London where I'll be also working, I don't know if I'll be able to aford a car so I am looking for an airfield close enough to public transportations.
By the way, did you know any good place to stay.. I'm arriving this we and don't have any room yet..

IanSeager, my background idea is also to be able to fly when I'll be back in France that's why I hope to convert to JAR...

Watch your six !!

SteveR
13th Jun 2002, 12:38
OK, I'll bite. Come to Rochester!!

There are a number of people I know who are in Central London and flying from EGTO. They use a train to Rochester, and catch a bus, or they come to Maidstone East and I pick them up on the way.

There are 2 schools, a Cabair office and Millen Aviation - Millen's are cheaper (which isn't hard). They have a few C152's, a very well appointed PA28-181, and a 150hp Airtourer.

Rochester has 2 grass runways (20/02 and 16/34), so very ocasionally we go out of cross wind limits, and sometimes in the depths of winter it is too boggy to fly.

There are a fair few groups, with a range of interesting aircraft, looking for members and a club which organises a range of flyouts (mostly to France....)

Et, bien sur, on parle Francais!!!

Steve R

PB4
13th Jun 2002, 13:17
Hi steve !

I'm surely gonna come to rochester when I'll be all setup in London, I've seen the airfield web site, very interesting..
I know airfields where you can't fly in winter ! I've been a glider pilot here in Normandy on the pretty nice grass airfield of Vauville..
Well I'll send you an e-mail if I want further informations..

Thanks !!