PDA

View Full Version : PPL in Ireland

deantmurphy
9th May 2015, 23:09
Hi, I want to start my PPL training soon here in Ireland and a flight school in Limerick train in a Tecnam 2 seater airplane. I was wondering if I do my training in this can i fly/self hire/hour build in a 4 seater plane after such as a Cessna 172 after?

Does anyone have anything to say about training with Limerick flight school as apposed to afta in cork? Theres about a 3000Euro difference in cost??

Thanks in advance first time poster.

Pete O'Tewbe
10th May 2015, 07:39
The Technam aircraft to which you refer is in the Single Engine Piston (SEP) class. From a licencing point of view, this also covers the C172.

However, anyone wishing to fly one of these will inevitably have to undergo some form of familiarisation training before being allowed you to take one out.

deantmurphy
10th May 2015, 08:52
Thank for the reply! Would the transition just be a flight with there instructor or would it require a few hours of flight? Because 3000 is a lot of savings but in Limerick it is only a small runway flight school as apposed to cork which is an international airport, would I learn more if I did it in cork or am I just paying more money because il be landing into a big airport?

Duchess_Driver
10th May 2015, 10:48
It would also be worth reminding you that the €3000 difference you've stated would be based on quotations for the course minima.

Depending on lots of factors you may find that you 'do not meet the required standard' at 45 hours and therefore the you may end up paying more than quoted.

Other factors - both AFTA and the boys in Limerick will be professional and offer great service so probably little to chose from that point of view. Cork may 'hold you' for commercial traffic which may extend the flight times marginally but will be good experience, something you're unlikely to get at Coonagh.

After you get your licence I tend to find that 3-4 hours covers conversion from something 'smaller/lighter' to a 172. That covers general handling ( stalling/steep turns/slow flight) etc, PFLS, NAV, emergencies and circuit work. Maybe I am a dinosaur but I like to think that you should experience an aircraft in all regimes of flight/possible scenarios before I let you hire one of ours while other establishments seem happy to give you an hour in the circuit and then let you loose!

Travelling time is also a factor - but I'm assuming you're close to half way between the two. If not, there are other airfields around... Birr and Galway (if its still open) for example.

Enjoy your flying
HTH

DD

Maoraigh1
10th May 2015, 13:56
If you learn to fly at Coonagh you'll find everywhere else easy - unless the runway has been extended since I visited.
It'll take more hours to to convert from landing a 172 at Cork to landing it at Coonagh than converting from anything else to a 172.

deantmurphy
10th May 2015, 15:54
Thanks for the advise lads. The landing is the same and that's exactly what they said. I think it just makes sense cost wise even if I have to get a few more hours on a 172 so I can fly 4 seaters.

After my ppl I plan to go to Florida to hour build and then back here for the commercial, anybody have advise there??

Whiskey Hotel
1st Jul 2015, 12:48
Don't forget about the atpl's, it would be wise to do them before heading to USA for your hour building