PDA

View Full Version : LAPL at RF

fireflybob
9th May 2015, 21:11
Simple question (I hope!) can training for LAPL be conducted at a Registered Facility (i.e. not ATO)?

Thanks for any assistance.

S-Works
9th May 2015, 21:34
Nope. Not as I understand it. Your RTF is basically frozen in time and on,y able to conduct whatever it has historically. To add a new approval would require conversion to ATO.

We have a LAPL approval and have never taught one!

Happy Wanderer
9th May 2015, 21:34
RTFs will become ATOs under EASA, but in the interim you can train for a LAPL at a RTF. Google any reputable Flying Club or School and many offer it as an alternative to a PPL.

HW

ifitaintboeing
9th May 2015, 21:36
In the same category of aircraft that they are approved as a RF: yes.

CAP 804, Section 2, Part C, Page 4, para 3.3.5.

ifitaint...

Happy Wanderer
9th May 2015, 21:48
Well I've searched a couple of local-ish RTFs and all offer the LAPL.

HW

ifitaintboeing
9th May 2015, 22:05
bose-x,

Your answer would have been correct a couple of months ago; however, since then Commission Regulation (EU) 2015/445 became effective ;)

Keep up.

ifitaint...

Whopity
9th May 2015, 22:25
In the same category of aircraft that they are approved as a RF: yes.An RF is Registered, not Approved!

Since April it has been possible to train for your PPL or LAPL in a TMG or SEP or combination of either at an RF. The class rating you get depends on the aircraft used for the skill test.

Broadlands
9th May 2015, 22:32
Also, in order to upgrade a LAPL to PPL, another course must be approved to allow training at the ATO, at a cost of course. Bonkers.

S-Works
10th May 2015, 06:30
bose-x,

Your answer would have been correct a couple of months ago; however, since then Commission Regulation (EU) 2015/445 became effective

Keep up.

ifitaint...

I stand corrected! Thanks.

Whopity
10th May 2015, 06:30
If you have an ATO approval then it would have been wise to include all the possible courses on your initial application. Having done it, I know it all came in on a single fee!

According to the CAA (Head of Policy -Feb 2015) all PPL training including LAPL to PPL may still be conducted at a RF until 2018 with no further changes or charges.

BillieBob
10th May 2015, 09:46
all PPL training including LAPL to PPL may still be conducted at a RF until 2018 with no further changes or charges.Meaning that for all those RFs that rushed to become ATOs it was a complete waste all of the time effort and money. What's more, any new starts will also have to become ATOs despite the fact that, beyond 2018, it is most unlikely that approval (or, perhaps, even an RF) will be required for LAPL/PPL training.