PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions?

alby2000
10th Jun 2002, 17:51
Hi guys!
I'd like to spend my summer break in a smart way. I'd like to get the first, yearned PPL but I'd like to do it as fast as possible also because in late September I'm going back to work. So i need your help to find the best flying school that can train me to get the PPL quickly. Any experiences, suggestions comments are welcomed!!! Thanks a lot!
Alby :)

tacpot
10th Jun 2002, 21:33
U r in Italy - is that where u want to get your PPL?

alby2000
11th Jun 2002, 16:50
Dear TACPOT,
i'm not concerned about the location, i'm concerned about time. I'd like to get the PPL real fast, before going back to work in late September.... so any suggestions? Thanks a lot!

Evo7
11th Jun 2002, 16:56
If it's quick you need, go somewhere sunny (certainly not here... :( ). The USA and South Africa seem like the obvious choices. There have been threads on training in both countries here recently :)

tacpot
11th Jun 2002, 20:16
Doing an intensive course in the UK should get you your PPL in five/six weeks allowing for weather. You'll be able to fit the groundschool and R/T practical in during this time if you're organised about it.

If you can do the groundschool beforehand, even just doing the studying bit from books, then take your exams when you start the course, you'll have a big headstart. If you're on a mission to finish the PPL you can't afford to get behind on the groundschool. Try to get the R/T training done as close to the start of the course as possible.

I'd did 38 hours for my PPL in five weeks during the summer of '82 on an intensive course in the UK (when the PPL course was just 35 hours!)

As to a school, I can't really make any recommendations. I've only recent experience of two schools - one I would not recommend for an intensive course, and I'm not sure if the other really goes in for that sort of thing.

So, make sure that the school:
a) is totally happy about doing an intensive course (reject any school that raises ANY objection whatsoever)
b) is willing to give you equal priority with existing students at weekend. Don't be pushed to the back of the queue for slots on Sat/Sun just because "you can catch up the time during the week".
c) can do the R/T practical test in house.

Best wishes and have a great summer.

poetpilot
12th Jun 2002, 09:49
Tacpot, no-one can predict what the UK summer will be like;)

Therefore no-one can predict how long a UK PPL course will take, even if intensive. Plus, booking & availability of instructors & aircraft may also be a problem at many UK places.

My vote would be for US or SA.

tacpot
12th Jun 2002, 10:31
poetpilot - agree totally with the comment regrading the weather. I was lucky with the weather, but still had 5 days in five weeks that weren't flyable. (The course had more IMC training on it in them days, so I was able to completed some mandatory training on days when VFR flight wasn't possible - this is less possible nowadays because there is less IMC training.)

US or SA definitely is an advantage in terms of weather, but if a JAA PPL is required, there's alot less choice of shcools than in Europe. Some of the US (and SA) schools have had many more recommendations on PPRune than I can give for any schools in the UK, so I'll truncate my contribution here.

Evo7
12th Jun 2002, 12:04
For what it's worth (not much :) ), Bill Giles thinks that this summer will not be a memorable one (http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/90day.shtml). :(

FWA NATCA
18th Jun 2002, 21:19
Alby,

There are numerous flight schools in the US that have accelerated courses for earning a pilots license but they are expensive.

Mike

mattpilot
18th Jun 2002, 21:25
the fastes way? Go to the US and find a part 61 school (plenty). Find an instructor who is willing to fly with you almost exclusivly every day (plenty). Bring rougly 3000USD with you for flight lessons. Your all set.

According to Rod Machado, there was a instructor once who finished a student off in under 2 weeks. Of course, you would have to be very competent to pull that off too.

Ground Classes are not necessary. Just buy a book & study it real good. The knowledge test can be taken whenever you feel like it. It must be before your Solo though.

PH-UKU
19th Jun 2002, 01:01
I use the used the maxim - I want to fly in Scotland, so I learnt in Scotland.... in 3 weeks, doing the groundschool/bookwork myself. Where did I get this done and at less than £3500 ? Inverness, that's where. The area has consistently better weather than the reat of Scotland, has beautiful scenery, and quailifying cross-countirs to the northenr islands like Orkney. Sure the weather is not a cert, but speak to Peter Brook at Highland Aero Club and if he could work it out for you, I'm sure he would do his best.