PDA

View Full Version : US PPL valid in other countries?

mattpilot
10th Jun 2002, 15:53
Hi there.

I was wondering whether I, a US PPL holder, am allowed to fly in countries like Germany or Austria (Europe).

What limitations, if any, apply to me. And what rules/regulations apply?

Lets say it would be possible, and i would go to europe on my next vacation, could i just go to an airport, rent a plane, and go fly or would i have to fill out some gov't paperwork?

Last question; Generally speaking, what are the major differences when flying in the US and when doing it somewhere else?

Thanks for any help!

BEagle
10th Jun 2002, 19:35
To answer your questions:

1. Yes. You have an ICAO PPL.

2. You will be liited to day VFR unless you can rent a N-reg ac, then you will be able to fly within your licence privileges.

3. Go to a flying club, fly some sort of acceptance check, rent, fly...

4. It's a lot more expensive. The weather is less certain and RT is very different! Europe also has 'landing fees'........

Fuji Abound
10th Jun 2002, 22:04
Beagle - one other point not directly asked but maybe relevant. I think there may be a problem renting an aircraft in a member state and then flying to another member state on the strength of your FAA PPL. I know for example that an FAA PPL flying a G reg aircraft whilst welcome in the UK is rather less welcome in France or Germany in the same aircraft whilst operating on the privilges of an FAA PPL. I am not quite sure the legal foundation for this position but it seems to be the practical one. It must be part of being one Europe! The problem of course goes away if the aircraft is on the N reg but renting one of those may be a tade more difficult.

Keef
10th Jun 2002, 23:24
Both the above are right.

There's a "two out of three" rule. The three are:
- country of reg of aircraft
- country of pilot's licence/certificate
- country being flown in

As long as two are the same, you're OK.

So you can fly an F-reg or a D-reg in its home country on your US PPL, but you can't legally take them abroad.

To cross borders, you need an N-reg.

mattpilot
11th Jun 2002, 04:27
I was originally planning on taking an instructor with me on a first flight or so to get used to the foreign system. I was just curious about whether i could actually fly or not. Thanks for your help!

Couple more questions though:

Medical: will the US medical suffice ?

Regulations: who's rules must i follow? FAA? Foreign? Or Both?

thanks again

BEagle
11th Jun 2002, 05:47
1. You just need the medical associated with your licence - i.e. the FAA medical must be current - and your licence must be current and valid in all other respects.

2. You must fly within your own licence privileges and observe the laws of the land you're in - i.e. when in Rome,......

3. Sorry - forgot about the '2 out of 3' rule!

4. Don't forget that many small aerodromes may not have fluent English speakers on the RT. This is particularly true in France.

2Donkeys
11th Jun 2002, 06:13
Without disagreeing with the thrust of what has been said, there is no "two out of three" rule. This is general guidance to help pilots remember the basics behind a more complex set of rules and guidance.

For flights with JAR-land, there should be no issue with an FAA PPL flying a JAR-registered aircraft under day VFR wherever he pleases, irrespective of borders.

The French are traditionally slightly awkward around this subject, not because of any deep-seated convictions, but because the guys typically doing the ramp checks are the local gendarmerie who have a very variable understanding of the documents that they are asking you to produce. The Dutch, German and Belgian ramp-checkers are less likely to ask for your paperwork, but are rather more educated when they do.

Secondly, in response to whose rules do you obey, the short answer is all. FAA, country of aircraft Reg and country in which flight is conducted. Apply the most restrictive rules applicable in the case of conflict.

Noggin
11th Jun 2002, 07:25
The Rules really depend upon which country you wish to fly in. Whilst all ICAO countries will allow you to fly on an ICAO PPL, most countries have a validation proces, the FAA issue you a FAA Restricted Licence for example. The UK is about the only country in the World that allows you to fly witrhout a local validation. It all depends upon the Law in the country concerned.

Germany require a validation.

As to the rules regarding; can you then fly to another country, the 2 out of 3 is rather simplistic. Again it depends upon the Law of the countries concerned. The State of licence issue, the State of aircraft Registration and the State you wish to fly in. All 3 must permit it.

You can fly an N reg aircraft on a UK licence, the French do not not object to you flying it in France but FAR-AIM does not permit it, as the FAA authority to fly a US registered aircraft overseas only permits it in the country of licence issue.

englishal
11th Jun 2002, 10:49
...although an FAA restricted licence is not very restricted...in fact is pretty un-restricted when considering things like converting IR's and the like.

Just to add to Noggin's last point, if you are flying on an FAA certificate, then you can fly an N reg anywhere...

Cheers
EA
:p

mattpilot
11th Jun 2002, 17:12
Thanks everyone!

It all sounds very confusing. I guess the safest thing to due is to take a local instructor with me on all my foreign flights. Thanks again!

Send Clowns
11th Jun 2002, 17:52
Don't forget that (finally) it is possible to convert your licence to a JAA one. Takes some exams (law at least, can't remember what else if any) and a flight test. This is better than when I tried, and they told me "it is allowed under JARs, but the requirements have not yet been written. Sorry!" :mad: (hence I never had a UK PPL, waited for my CPL).

bookworm
11th Jun 2002, 18:45
General Recognition of Foreign Certificates or Licences (NfL II - 4/95) (http://www.lba.de/dokumente/nfl/1995/ii495e.pdf)

validation of foreign flight crew member licences (http://www.lba.de/deutsch/lba/fachbereiche/l/l1/ll921.pdf)

may be helpful for Germany.