PDA

View Full Version : Prestwick Vacancy

Nobodys Desk
30th Apr 2015, 06:56
Vacancy advertised on the GPIA website:

Air Traffic Control Officers (ATCO's) | Glasgow Prestwick Airport (http://www.glasgowprestwick.com/about-the-airport/recruitment/airtrafficcontrolofficers.html)

Closing date is 15/05/2015.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
30th Apr 2015, 08:53
Someone tell the writer of the advert that an apostrophe is not needed in Air Traffic Control Officers.

Nobodys Desk
30th Apr 2015, 09:23
Thanks HD, I predicted that would be the first response. :ok:

Glamdring
30th Apr 2015, 17:00
Does Prestwick actually handle anything these days? Whats the movements like?

ZOOKER
30th Apr 2015, 18:01
Glamdring,
I spent a year living at the seaward end of 13. It's quality, not quantity.

kcockayne
30th Apr 2015, 18:04
So, nothing then , Zooker.

Fly Through
30th Apr 2015, 19:23
Future spaceport, don't you know.

LandingConfig
30th Apr 2015, 20:03
Glamdring Still some Ryanair sunshine routes, plus Cargolux and AF Cargo. Lots of GA and military movements.

ZOOKER
30th Apr 2015, 20:11
It was odd kcockayne,
Some days it was interesting, then nothing happened for a while. A great shame, as it's a top location.
No, seriously. If you're landing in Scotland for the very first time.......It's a great introduction to what Caledonia has to offer.

LEGAL TENDER
30th Apr 2015, 20:13
from the CAA stats
25k movements for the year 2014. Of which just 6.6k were air transport.

(I just looked at the 1990 stats and Prestwick had 122k movements that year (of which 102k test and training) -
Only LHR, LGW and MAN had more that year!

kcockayne
30th Apr 2015, 20:58
Zooker

I was only being flippant. I passed through 'PK as a cadet & saw some interesting a/c there myself. But, that was back in the mid 70s.
However, apart from ACA & Speedbird, I saw little airline traffic.

ZOOKER
1st May 2015, 07:35
kcockayne,

No worries, it was one of my posting requests on the cadet course oddly enough. While I was there in 2010 it was mainly RYR, with AFR and CLX freighters, plus some crew training.
All the best,

Zooks.

Jwscud
1st May 2015, 08:19
Prestwick is also popular for base training - I have done it for two types there and on one occasion had a 787 waiting for the circuit once we were done.

Some big stuff in the visual circuit I would imagine would be quite fun for an ATCO?

Hooligan Bill
1st May 2015, 08:36
I believe Taylor Wimpey may be interested.

LadyAtco
1st May 2015, 18:01
Did you notice this classic bit of HR rubbish

"All applicants need to be able to provide photographic proof of identity if selected for interview".

What are they expecting ? Bogus ATCOs sending their friends for interviews !!

parkfell
3rd May 2015, 06:15
Somewhat emotive language in the advert.
Your passport is regarded as photographic evidence.
This is a standard document kept as part of ATPLs. :ok:

chevvron
3rd May 2015, 06:52
Lady ATCO:
An SRG examiner once told me a tale of arriving to do a validation and recognising the candidate, but under another name! He had somehow managed to get ATCO Licenses in 2 different identities.
I suppose it was possible in the days before you had to complete an 'approved course', ie you could just train at an ATC unit then go and take the exams.

kcockayne
3rd May 2015, 07:37
then, there's always the Harkins twins.

obwan
3rd May 2015, 08:21
kcockayne (http://www.pprune.org/members/155823-kcockayne)

There I was having a perfectly pleasant morning and you had to spoil it.:=

kcockayne
3rd May 2015, 08:49
We'll, I had to venture out in the wind & the rain to get the Sunday papers , so I figured on making somebody else's day miserable, too !

2 sheds
3rd May 2015, 08:52
I think that LadyATCO has missed the point. It's to protect you and me and the genuine applicants and the employer. There are people around who will try to blag anything. Also SOP for anyone applying to CAA for any form of certifcate or licence.

2 s

ZOOKER
3rd May 2015, 10:18
It's a long time ago, but I'm fairly certain I had to send NATS/CAA a photo attached to both my ATCO and ATSA application forms.

chevvron
3rd May 2015, 19:07
I can't recall doing it, but then my initial interview for NATCS (they lost 'Control' and became NATS about 5 years later) - then part of the Board of Trade - was in 1967.

LEGAL TENDER
4th May 2015, 23:14
Sorry if I hurt your feelings. I realise the choice of words was a bit harsh.

However...
18 months on the market with no buyers - bought by Scottish Government for £1 - on £25 million loan from Scottish Government to operate until 2016 (which is estimated to rise to £40 mil) - running at a loss of £4 million per year.
The Scottish Government made a business plan to return to profit by 2022 estimating passenger growth of 10% per year in the first 5 years.
Like that is going to happen?

The initial loan funding of 21 million until 2022 has now been revised to £40 million until 2021.

How the Scottish Government gets away with throwing good money after bad (while at the same time being very critical of the defence budget and other things) is beyond me - but this is a different subject altogether.
Perhaps the legacy of Elvis landing at PIK and the prospect of a thriving spaceport justify the use of public money to support a failing business.
If I owned a factory (or a football club for that matter) that failed I doubt there would be a similar intervention.

I apologise for the unfortunate choice of words. However the numbers paint anything but a success story I'm sure you'll agree.

Regards

Nobodys Desk
5th May 2015, 22:53
I'm guessing you're not interested in applying then??? :ugh:

Standard Noise
6th May 2015, 16:12
Applied for a job there 17 years ago, what a complete clusterf**k! Halfwit on the Information desk left me sitting waiting way past my interview time, despite me telling her several times that I had an interview to attend, and when I finally got to the CTB, the DSATCO greeted me with "where the f**k have you been? We thought you hadn't bothered f**king turning up!"

Needless to say, I found a position somewhere else. Glad I did too.
I believe said knobhead DSATCO ended up in SRG..............figures.

Gingerbread Man
7th May 2015, 21:55
I applied a couple of years ago, painstakingly filling out their paper application form, calling to find out who it was appropriate to address my cover letter to, etc, etc. They didn't even have the courtesy to respond and say thanks but no thanks.

off watch
10th May 2015, 19:50
I'm curious G Man - did you apply on spec or for an advertised ATCO vacancy ?
I don't remember seeing anything there around that time.

Gingerbread Man
12th May 2015, 06:53
It was an advertised vacancy. It wasn't two years ago exactly though - September 2013.

Nobodys Desk
26th Jan 2016, 17:55
Looking for two more..........

Air Traffic Control Officers (ATCO) | Glasgow Prestwick Airport (http://www.glasgowprestwick.com/about-the-airport/recruitment/airtrafficcontrolofficers.html)

chevvron
26th Jan 2016, 22:15
Glamdring,
I spent a year living at the seaward end of 13. It's quality, not quantity.

Remember the F104s which were serviced there? And the old story of 'can you make FL250 by the coast?' (meaning east coast)
'Affirm' was the answer.
You guessed it, he was above 250 by the WEST coast!!
Edit to remove 'Luftwaffe'.

malcolm380
26th Jan 2016, 23:22
Weren't they RCAF CF-104s? As a 14 year old in 1969, I was shown round the old Scottish Aviation facility and there were several RCAF Starfighters in there then

chevvron
27th Jan 2016, 09:08
Weren't they RCAF CF-104s? As a 14 year old in 1969, I was shown round the old Scottish Aviation facility and there were several RCAF Starfighters in there then
I think you're right, but weren't they based in Germany?

Liobian
27th Jan 2016, 09:35
Correct - contracted from Jan '63; completed 1000 overhauls by Dec '67; contracts ended in 1978.

ZOOKER
27th Jan 2016, 12:22
chevvron,
I remember an ex-NATS ATCO at EGNX telling me about the time he was on detachment to EGPX/Gailes. I seem to recall him telling me about 'Ailsa Craig 240s' off EGPK. I think it referred to the same aircraft type?

LEGAL TENDER
27th Jan 2016, 13:08
Is the RAF F104s the most up to date tale involving traffic spotted at PIK? ;):cool::E

obwan
27th Jan 2016, 13:45
The Ailsa Craig teardrop was the "procedure" for F104s landing at EGPK , basically involved them arriving over Ailsa Craig (a rock in the middle of the Firth of Clyde, for southerners) at FL240 and 2 mins. later appear on final approach. Prestwick APC. had very little say in the matter other than to keep other aircraft out of the way. I believe one of the D controllers at Scottish Airways was qualified to fly the F104s and did so on occasions, maybe I just dreamed that bit but you never know there might be some old duffer out there who might know.

ZOOKER
27th Jan 2016, 13:56
Thanks obwan. It was about 40 years ago he told me that. You do get a cracking view of Ailsa from the EGPX VCR too.

Musket90
27th Jan 2016, 19:16
Norwegian AF F104's also were occasional visitors for maintenance.