PDA

View Full Version : Why ROGER?

Ed Set
10th Jun 2002, 12:32
Being involved in RTF examining for many years now, I received a question recently that I couldn't answer.
One of my students asked what was the history behind the phrase ROGER.
I know the background to Pan(Panne) and Mayday (M'aidez") but just WHY do we use ROGER as an acknowledgement . Don't quote from the CAP 413 - WHY do we use that particular word???
Ed:confused:

Cornish Jack
10th Jun 2002, 12:56
Why Roger?.... because it's the phonetic equivalent of the original W/T character indicating receipt AND understanding of a transmitted message. R = your message has been received and understood. It is distinct from the, probably, defunct 'Wilco' which means 'your message received, understood AND will be complied with' (bear in mind that it dates from the original phonetic alphabet of ABLE, BAKER.....QUEENIE, ROGER, SUGAR, etc)

CaptainBaldrick
10th Jun 2002, 14:56
Why "Roger"? Because "Cedric" would sound very silly... :D

411A
10th Jun 2002, 16:15
Second cousin of Wilco, perhaps?:D

Pilot Pete
10th Jun 2002, 16:20
maybe, but they were NEVER to be seen together...........

PP

chiglet
10th Jun 2002, 18:35
'cos it sounds sooo smooth and laconic...
O.K. Rogerrrrrr :D
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

XXTSGR
10th Jun 2002, 21:30
Is Will Coe any relation to Sebastian Coe? ;)

Ed Set
11th Jun 2002, 12:15
CJ
Many thanks. Your answer sounds infinitely believable, so in the absence of any other suggestions, I'll tell my students that from now on.
Interesting though that we have gone away from the "original" w/t meaning, with WILCO (albeit almost defunct but still in the CAP 413) having that as a meaning.
With very little effort, you've just made an old man very happy!!
I owe you
Regards
Ed

GonvilleBromhead
11th Jun 2002, 12:52
Has woger been weleased then ?

Hew Jampton
11th Jun 2002, 14:02
Interesting though that we have gone away from the "original" w/t meaning I don't think so. For example, ATC quite rightly checks again if a pilot responds to an ATC instruction with "Roger" when "Wilco" (Will Comply), possibly with readback, is the correct response.

Ed Set
11th Jun 2002, 16:36
I thought that was what I said?
ATC will NEVER accept Roger, when looking for an answer in the affirmative or negative .
Most folk get confused and say roger when they REALLY mean WILCO!!
As Cornish Jack pointed out, the original W/T meaning was message received AND understood.
Roger simply means you've received the message, not understood it.
It is the aeronautucal equivalent of "Errm" while you think of the right phrase to say
Ed

Captain Stable
11th Jun 2002, 17:36
NO

"Roger" means "All your message received".

"Willco" means "Message understood and will comply".

Semaphore Sam
11th Jun 2002, 18:17
Thwee Wespwonses:

1. "Roger, Wilco, over & out." Totally accepted (except by pedants) response to any inane/stupid request.

2. Better yet, "Roger" is a verb, known by Flashman addicts. To "roger", (or "Woger", as per Cardigan, Flashman's one-time commander), is to put forth the male perogative.

3. Reference to Mr. Wamjet.

4. "I acknowledge"...totally boring.

Thwee? Now, who is to define accuwacy?

Semaphore Sam
11th Jun 2002, 18:44
Forgot....

5. "Welease....Woger!" (As per...Biggus? Don't think so)

chiglet
11th Jun 2002, 19:14
"When I wuz at Brum".......yawn, yawn
An ATCO married an ATCA. Not "really" unusual, but , He was called "Roger Balls", and she was "Marion Cox".
I thought that they were quite suited:D
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

teeteringhead
12th Jun 2002, 15:34
And then there's the (apochryphal??) story of the irate North Yorkshire farmer who called on the Base Commander of a nearby military pilot training school; demanding redress for his recently impregnated daughter.

"I know the young blighter's name -- it's Roger Willcoe!!"

:D :D :D :D

Fujiflyer
13th Jun 2002, 21:24
On a similar note, anyone know where the terms QNH & QFE have their origins?

FujiF :)

Spitoon
13th Jun 2002, 22:52
Try this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49244) for a recent debate about QNH and QFE.