PDA

View Full Version : Pat Flynn ex-EGLL

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Apr 2015, 11:41
I am deeply saddened to report the passing of Pat Flynn during the early hours of 23 April following a short but devastating illness. Please think of Pat, Gillian and their family in your prayers. God Bless old friend.

DC10RealMan
23rd Apr 2015, 15:05
That is a shame as Pat was an all-round "good egg" and a nice guy.

ATCO Two
23rd Apr 2015, 15:33
Although unfortunately the outcome was expected, the shock of how quickly the end came is hard to come to terms with. I only saw Pat just over a week ago, when we shared some memories together. Sincere condolences to Gillian and the girls. My thoughts are with you all at this difficult time.

Eric T Cartman
23rd Apr 2015, 17:07
Incredibly sad news - I was on 26 Course with Pat from 1972-75. He has left a legacy with me, as he taught me how guitar chords were formed, in just one night in a Bournemouth flat. I still use his lesson today - RIP buddy.

Brian 48nav
23rd Apr 2015, 19:03
I was on the same Area Course as Pat in 1974, we were the odd ones out as the others were all from 28 Course.

Didn't see him again until I pitched up at LL in '86, he was instantly welcoming even though I did not go to his watch. I recall he had some health problem that meant for a while he worked 'days' in an office.

I know he was operational again at TC as my off-spring mentioned him.

A good guy! RIP Pat.

surfingatco
23rd Apr 2015, 21:03
Pat made it to the recent Heathrow Nostalgia Night and I'm sure he enjoyed ACE's stories and seeing many "old" colleagues.

He trained me at LL, and I helped him revalidate at TC. One quick story which I'm sure he won't mind hearing wherever he is - the day he revalidated we went for drinks after work and I drove him home. As we got in the car I asked him about his medical problems - it took the whole journey home for him to relate all, and I mean all, the gory details :uhoh:

RIP Pat(rick) - you'll be missed. Condolences to Gillian, Larissa and Tanya.

IThink
24th Apr 2015, 17:37
Rest in Peace Pat. I remember many late nights at Heathrow in the early 90's with Pat trying to get me to understand Word for DOS! I will always remember Pat as one of the gentlemen of ATC.

AlanM
25th Apr 2015, 01:36
So sad to hear this. A lovely genuine guy who I personally never heard any vitriol towards - rare in an ATCO.

A true gent and encouraging OJTI who I happily sat with in the old West Drayton coffee lounge (smoking side) on our breaks to hear his funnies. RIP dear boy

25th Apr 2015, 10:03
Sad news. Condolences to family, friends and colleagues.
I was on 26 Cadet course too. In the course photo Pat is just about in the middle.
http://i.imgur.com/1Eh0PbP.jpg

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
25th Apr 2015, 11:45
Looks like a "rush" from Hammer Films! Thanks for that '166K; brings back happy memories and Pat looked exactly the same when i last saw him. Bren

BAND4ALL
25th Apr 2015, 13:38
:( RIP Pat

26left
26th Apr 2015, 02:43
Very sad to learn of Pat's passing.
A good guy and friend, who helped many of us at EGLL in the early days of personal computers. Rest in peace mate.

Doug B

viaEGLL
26th Apr 2015, 16:05
I was trained by Pat on EGLL and enjoyed many a long chin wags. My thoughts are with his family and RIP Pat.

Brian 48nav
27th Apr 2015, 13:44
Blimey!

So Steve James wasn't always silver-haired! But looks like Ollie always had a beard.

IIRC Pat's hair was much longer when we were on the area course - wasn't his old man Director Tels?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
27th Apr 2015, 14:22
Not quiet Brian, his old man - Mr A P Flynn - was an Operations Officer in the Min of Aviation. I know this because I was a lowest of the low clerk and my office was close to his!

chevvron
27th Apr 2015, 14:30
Don't recognise any of those 26 Course apart from Ollie Smith; I was 23 Course and Ollie and one or two others were temporarily drafted in to Farnborough one airshow.
Edit: Unless that's Pete le Gros on the back row right hand side.

Talkdownman
27th Apr 2015, 16:01
Bent a few notes together in our time. Pat was a very particular and diligent musician (cf. me being somewhat 'off the wall'…) but we worked well together and I always enjoyed rehearsals with him. I still have his thorough 'musical directions' for our repertoire. A very genuine, caring, and loving Old Rocker, he was always very nice to me, and I shall miss him hugely. Sincere condolences to Gillian, Larissa and Tanya on his EG.

Keep bending those notes, Pat, Dear Friend…save a jack-socket for me next to yours...

Eric T Cartman
27th Apr 2015, 17:26
@ chevvron - that's Paul Ravenscroft you've picked out. The others are :
Steve James, Bob Allen,Stu Jones, Ron McNab, Veronica McHugh, Malcolm Cottle, Chris Clark, Dave Mobbs, Pete Clarke, Pat, Colin Taylor, Trevor Hughes, Stu McDonald, Simon Peel, Gordon Frampton, Steve Sanghera, Paul Templeman (guest appearance for the rating course - actually from Luton), Oliver Smith & John Trigg.

cambioso
27th Apr 2015, 20:04
So very sorry to hear of Pat's passing.
Many happy memories of a super chap.
Jez

EGLL19791986
28th Apr 2015, 19:27
Really sorry to hear about Pat. A really nice guy, always enjoyed chatting to him about music, one of the real characters from my early days in ATC. Pity there aren't a few more like him these days! My sympathies to his family.

surfingatco
10th May 2015, 22:18
From Pat's daughter Larissa's Facebook page which I'm sure she won't mind me reproducing here:

As promised, details of dad's service can be found below.
Easthampstead Park Crematorium, South Road, Bracknell, Wokingham, West Berkshire RG40 3DW (01344 420314)
Thursday 21st May 2015 3.00 p.m.
And afterwards at:
Downshire Golf Complex, Easthampstead Park, Wokingham RG40 3DH
(01344 302030)
The co-ordination of floral tributes and donations in lieu of flowers (by cheque made payable to Sue Ryder) can be made through J B Hall, Funeral Directors, 142 Finchampstead Road, Wokingham, RG41 2NU (0118 979 3623)
Please note: a video link will be made available (details will be posted on Facebook) approximately 24 hours ahead of the service for anyone who is unable to attend in person.
Local hotels can be found here: Bracknell Crematorium Ea… - Google Search (http://www.bedandbreakfasts.co.uk/bracknell-crematorium-ea…/)
R.S.V.P. [email protected] or 07885 838344

surfingatco
22nd May 2015, 17:27
A wee note to say that Pat (Patrick) had a great send off yesterday, from the eulogy from his eldest brother to the readings from his daughters Larissa and Tanya, he was sent to a better place with style.

Afterwards, at Downshire, his son-in-law (Tanya's husband) gave a great speech highlighting Pat's virtues. ATC (ex LL) were well represented at the funeral, including Derek Rham, Paul Louden, Al Carter, Chris Prentice, Chris Huggett (current LL!), Joe Hanbury, Steve James, Gerry Nicholas, Tom Toy, Gerry Hewitt, Malcolm Hemming, Roger and Celia Kunert, Pete Bish and myself. (Apologies if I've missed anyone out!)

A great celebration of a varied and talented life - RIP Pat!

Mike

Talkdownman
22nd May 2015, 19:34
"I have to say, let's put it another way, I hear what you are saying…"

Save me a tuned-in lyre, Pat. Miss you loads, Mate...

gawbc
26th May 2015, 10:41
I was thinking that the person on the left looked very much like a guy I knew called Trevor ???? (cannot remember surname) he was an instructor at the Air Cadets in Southampton, then a controller at Gatwick (he took me up the tower a couple of times, drove me there in his Ford Anglia and also took me flying in a C150 out of Bournemouth c 1973/4) and then I think he went on to be a training captain with Monarch (Britannia?) - I have an idea that he too was seriously ill so no idea if he is still alive -wish I could remember his name...........ah just did, Trevor Hughes!

Then I just read in a post above and he is mentioned - is he still alive?

About 13 years ago I wrote a book about aviation and put a bit in it about him (wishing him well) but did not mention him by name - top bloke!

kcockayne
26th May 2015, 16:42
I went flying with Trevor when we were both ATC cadets at EGPH. I was doing the power checks at Strathallan & having to hold the a/c on the foot brake, as the handbrake was u/s.
pressing hard on the foot brake & against the back of the seat, I was suddenly thrown backwards when the back of the seat broke off ! The a/c lurched off at full power with me on my back !
I was certainly glad that Trevor was there (it was just before he left ATC to become a BA trainee), as he knew exactly what to do, & rescued the situation.
Pat Flynn was on my ATCA course at 'HH in 1971. I don't think I ever saw him again. remember him as a very nice person. RIP.