PDA

View Full Version : Beech 99 / B1900

lou ross
9th Jun 2002, 15:27
If anyone has any familiarlity with both a/c, I'd like to know the differences between the two. I think the 1900 was designed out of the 99. Thanks, lou ross.

PaperTiger
9th Jun 2002, 16:12
No, quite different aircraft.
The 99 is essentially a stretched Queen Air (model 80).
The 1900 grew out of the King Air 200 with the addition of various 'stick-ons' to counter some nasty unforeseen aerodynamic tendencies associated with the stretch.
The 1900D got a new taller fuselage, which did nothing for its looks, but did improve the handling (so I'm told -never driven one).

Naples Air Center, Inc.
9th Jun 2002, 17:58
Lou,

I have over 1200 hours in BE-1900's. I have flown all models (UB, UC, and UE) from both seats for the airlines.

The BE-1900C (UB & UC) (Engines PT6A-65B 1,100 shp) are the King Air 200 stretched 14 feet with upgraded systems and fire detection.

The BE-1900D (UE) (Engines PT6A-67D 1,279 shp) is a new design of the fuselage with the tail of the King Air 350. The "D" Model was built under a different Class of Regulations than the "C" Model was.

Hope this Helps,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.

'%MAC'
9th Jun 2002, 20:23
Lou, if you’re going to fly either model get yourself a good ANR headset, or you’ll go deaf and won’t pass an airline medical.

Handling wise the 02 is worse in icing, a real propensity for tail stall in severe icing. The BE-99 is very good at carrying loads of ice. Learn the difference between a tail stall and wing stall if you do fly the 02 (for that matter, the 120, 42, and 72 also suffer from this).

The tail in the prop slip stream and the short fuselage of the 99 gives it good pitch response. However, the 99 has an electric stab trim, with no mechanical back-up – if you get a runaway trim on the 99 and cannot rectify it with the alt trim (which works about half as fast) two grown men will not be able to override the control force. That’s a nice thought on an aircraft built in the 60’s. Things just seem to happen on that airplane, id est, one day while flying along at cruise the gear just dropped down, handle up. Slowed to Vlo and continued home. Turns out the grounding wire to the gear motor came off and that’s all it took to get the gear down – uncommanded. Now I wonder what would happen if the pitch trim motor had decided to start spinning. The BE-1900 (BE-02 for old hands) has a mechanical back-up: gives me a nice warm fuzzy feeling to know I have direct control.

Climb is obviously better for the 02, the powerplants are different dash models for each: you’re talking about PT-6A-27s in the BE-99B, and –28s in the C while the 02C has the - 65b and the 02D has the - 67d.

The 9by9 feels quicker yaw wise from the front seats, our 99 B and C models didn’t have yaw damp. The 02 B, C, and D models have a yaw damp that seems to be just out of phase with what’s needed, if you’re fast on your feet and have flown tail-draggers you’ll be able to do a better job then the yaw damp.

The 02D has quite a bit more power then the C model but from the left seat isn’t quite so fun to fly. The D model has inter-connected rudder and aileron and crosswind landings are really limited to the demonstrated x-wind. You might be able to squeak out an extra 3 knots on the D, but on the C you can get 5 to 7 extra. Maybe some hotshot pilot out there has gotten more, but I think the most I’ve encountered is 32 or so. The demonstrated is 25 on the C and 22 on the D. Oh I could go on and on, but if you want to read a really good description of the BE-1900 aka BE-02 search Elliot Moose, he posted an exceptional description of the 1900 a while back.

The fuselage height allows some people to walk through the cabin without bending over, but it also gives the airplane more surface area to weathercock, that and the inter-connect are what makes the 02D such a dog in x-winds.

The BE-1900 was originally certified under part 23 SFAR 23 and the D model is just a plane 23 airplane.

[edited so I don’t come across as such a jerk]

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Jun 2002, 02:18
'%MAC',

I mention my experience in the Aircraft to explain where my information came from. I do not see this as a competition and did not intend for it to sound that way.

The BE-1900 was one of the most enjoyable planes I have flown. It is like Formula Race Car. It is small enough to give you the feeling you strap the aircraft on your back when you fly it.

Out of all the variations of the aircraft I still like the UB series. You could fill it with Pax, Bags and Fuel and it would fly. Also it had a great flying characteristic at Max Gross (which every variation did for that matter). I know the UB Series has plenty of quirks but its still one of my favorites.

Take Care,

Richard

'%MAC'
10th Jun 2002, 02:50
Well, you are correct Captain Gentil, I did come across rather self-centered and egotistical. Allow me to edit it out, and thank-you for your temperance.

I do agree with you, the metaphor of the racecar is appropriate. The –99 is akin to an Austin-Healy; quick around the turns, slow in the acceleration, and it’s really quite sporting to try to figure out what will fail next. The 02D is like a Jag with the 12 cylinder engine, not good around the tight turns but fun for the power when empty.

Many agree that the B model is a nicer performer, but it is not as utilitarian as the C or D (less weight - no aux tanks, less range). We couldn't use them in the mountains, driftdown is quite poor on the B and C.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Jun 2002, 04:45
'%MAC',

Do not worry, not take than way at all. I did my Captain IOE in the Rocky Mountains with Mesa when the UE's were brand new. Had the pleasure of flying UE-2 when in Visible Moisture you would get a bunch of static on the radio just before losing all 4 tubes on the EFIS.

Well time for me to get some sleep.

Take Care,

Richard

lou ross
10th Jun 2002, 15:23
Thanks, gentlemen, I really appreciate your responses. lou ross.