PDA

View Full Version : THY 20% increase 777/330 for 70h per month

Mr Good Cat
7th Apr 2015, 17:30
Seems THY just increased their salary by 20% on the 70 hr per month roster.

Along with a roadshow in Dubai.

Would this tempt the EK guys or not?

:eek:

woodja51
7th Apr 2015, 19:04
Yes, agree it seems pretty low to me?

And then you have to worry about home taxes too in many cases.

All these airlines need to get with the programme.

The bench mark salary for heavy jet captain on a contract needs to be around 18k to match the Chinese offers out there and ME carriers to some extent when you add in the perks. But if you need a job mates of mine seem to think its ok.

Wja

de facto
8th Apr 2015, 08:45
Yep,if they want to recruit from the pool of pilots in the Asia area,they will have to do better than 11000 usd :rolleyes:

twentyyearstoolate
8th Apr 2015, 09:14
Remember too that this is at todays exchange rate. With such a volatile currency you need to be compensated accordingly, either with a high salary, or exchange protection. I see neither.

Just like most of the other airlines, I don't see them doing anything to meet the market. What I do see, is requirements dropping to get the numbers they need to fly big shiny jets.

The 2000 Lira accommodation allowance is not enough for anything bigger than a 1 bedroom apt in a crappy building. This allowance was the same as 6 years ago when the Lira was substantially stronger. Any rent contract here increases by 10% per annum, but the allowance doesn't.

Long haul is a good gig, but do not come here for money or job security!

Kirks gusset
8th Apr 2015, 10:17
Why do you think the company wants to attract ex EK guys? Let's be honest where are all the sandpit pilots going to go tax free apart from SE Asia? Saving money? Yes why not, Turkey is not nearly as expensive as Qatar or Doha and even after all costs it's not difficult to save. Many of the European 777 guys live in their home countries and come day before flight.

PPRuNeUser0215
8th Apr 2015, 12:48
11000$ for 70 hours
Vs how much for 95 (which is 35% more flying).

To that, you can effectively commute - Get a life - (Cannot be said the same at EK).

More is better but you have to compare apples with apples.

TypeIV
8th Apr 2015, 17:41
The bench mark salary for heavy jet captain on a contract needs to be around 18k to match the Chinese offers out there and ME carriers to some extent when you add in the perks. But if you need a job mates of mine seem to think its ok.

Remove half of it in tax, reduce the amount by a large portion since it's just a lie until you sign the contract (written in chinese btw) and add the cockroaches in the nice hotels, also that the FO that doesn't speak a word of english and even has his QRH written in Chinese. You are now comparing apples with apples.

Dihedral1
9th Apr 2015, 05:47
Your right the bench mark in China for a widebody Capt does seem to be 18K.
Which seemingly pales in comparison to what is on offer for narrow body Capts (500hr PIC) on a 737/320, with far superior commuting contracts IE month on / month off, if you can't avail yourself of the limited overseas based options.

However hold on, Hainan has improved their terms and I suspect Beijing Capital when they get their 330s will offer an industry leading package.
China Eastern have 20 777s coming, plus who knows what else is in the pipeline.

As LongReach allude to in their ME recruitment flyer, there are going to be some interesting developments over the next 18-24months in Asia, more so China, as the Chinese carriers expand their ambitions.

Emma Royds
9th Apr 2015, 06:37
If an airline is offering the right package then the applicants will come to them and not the other way round, as we are now seeing with TK coming to Dubai. Draw your own conclusions.

Dihedral1
9th Apr 2015, 09:04
Hear what your saying, but even the legacy carriers attend job fairs in the US.
Seem to recall that even among the list of Top ten companies to work for in UK/USA etc, they all still advertise and attend campus events to recruit and actively headhunt.
So I wouldn't suggest just offering a good package means a firm (airline in this case) can rest on their laurels and not go in search of talent.

IMHO what is more important, are what are the actions of the company (airline for this discussion) to retain the talent they have recruited, rather than constantly allow inflation to ravage their salary, seek to extract every single ounce of productivity (to the detriment of said talents QOL and ultimately safety), while imposing arbitrary rules and procedures, designed to stroke the ego of the latest narcissist (oops manager) installed in the corner office. (Wherever in the world, said airline is located).

Stone_cold
9th Apr 2015, 09:07
</title> <meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en-GB" /> <meta name="myLanguageType" content="englishUTF8" /> <meta name="Copyright" content="© 2015 The Emirates Group. All Rights Reserved." /> <meta name="Section" content=""></meta> <meta nam (http://www.emiratesgroupcareers.com/english/careers_overview/pilot_jobs/roadshows.aspx)

Yes , draw your own conclusions

kingpost
9th Apr 2015, 11:07
That's really way below market rates, they'll struggle to get guys from the ME!

Kapitanleutnant
10th Apr 2015, 11:15
Kingpost…

I disagree that TK will have trouble getting guys from the ME.

I do agree that the pay is not where it should be BUT… at some point to the ME pilots, money is not the issue. They will say enough is enough with the 92 hours a month, lack of reasonable vacation and time off between trips to fully recover etc

My guess is the TK Road show in Dubai will be standing room only. But I could be wrong too.

K

SMT Member
10th Apr 2015, 15:49
If the number one priority in a life is money, to the detriment of your health, sanity and family life, I pity such an existence.

I've personally resigned from 2 very well paying jobs, simply because my mind and body told me this wasn't going to work. First time was because I'd stayed enough time as an expat away from family and friends. The job and the company was great, but my gut told me it was time to go home. I didn't have a job to go home to, but left none the less. Through the network I landed a new job within a few months of moving home, with more responsibility, better pay and prospects, than the previous one. Trouble was, my boss was an idiot, the company was run by fools who had a collective track record of multiple failures, yet carried an air of grossly misplaced superiority. Senior management were, to a man, a bunch of megalomaniac w@nkers. I gave it my best, as I do have a very deeply rooted sense of obligation, but eventually my body told me this was going to end bad.

So, I resigned my position, and in the process had to make several 'downgrades' to my lifestyle, including moving into a smaller place and discard the poseur wheels.

I'm still back home, and through the network landed another job. This time I'm working for a great guy, with a great team of people, doing something I truly love. I'm also making less than 75% of my previous salary, but there's no happiness to be found in buying expensive, and largely unnecessary, things when you can't sleep at night, have no social life and wish your boss and the company would just go away forever.

If any of the above reads even remotely true for someone trapped in well-paying job that's driving them nuts, deep down you know there's only one solution. And trust you me, a Mazda 3 will get you just as well to the shopping as a Range Rover will. Even better, it will likely do so in a place where every other fellow road user is a not certifiable madman, with an overinflated ego fuelled by a V8 hauling 2.5 tons of air-conditioned metal.

Kapitanleutnant
10th Apr 2015, 16:04
SMT,

You missed your calling as a Psychologist!! I think you completely nailed it for many an EK pilot these days. Money is pretty good but at what cost?

The rosters are killing us slowly and it's time to move on….

K

FBW390
10th Apr 2015, 18:16
NO, the THY pilots have not had their salary improved by 20% or whatever. Maybe in 2 months? In 2 years?

FNGDXB
10th Apr 2015, 18:49
Call me paranoid if you like but has anyone else noticed that most people posting negative thoughts about other airlines we might be thinking about joining have only made one or two total posts?

bob777
11th Apr 2015, 04:07
I was renting a brand new, fully furnished, 1 bedroom apartment for 1600 TL.
4 Swimming pools, tennis courts, gym, super market, hair dresser, etc. included.

The opther option is that THY pays for the hotel in Istanbul. Most of the captains I've met there took the hotel option, since they were only a few days in Istanbul.

In Halkaly..aka Halkatraz. sorry but that does not qualify as Istanbul or as anything more than an esthetically questionable array of dormitories built on a dump ( that is what the place was and you can still smell it) As said if you don't want to feel like an outcast in an unfriendly area, if you have a minimum of sense of esthetic and want to enjoy the positive side of not being in the desert ( but with a free villa or apartment) your balance is in the range of 3500 / 6000 TL for 1+1 to 2+1 and it will increase 8/9 % per year. The hotel..well..you will have to move out of your room every single flight ..go figure...

twentyyearstoolate
11th Apr 2015, 06:46
In Halkaly..aka HalkatrazSpot on bob777. There are apartments that go for that amount in Halkali. For those of you not familiar with the area, it is an isolated third world dump. You cannot go outside the compound without a car. The area is a filthy s###hole.

I was renting a brand new, fully furnished, 1 bedroom apartment for 1600 TL.Think about that for a second. You can rent a 1 Bedroom apartment in a very very poor location for 1600 lira. Plus with inflation in Turkey, landlords typically want 10% increase. So not long before the 2000 Lira only just pays for that too.

As an example, a 3 Bedroom apartment in Halkali was 1300 Lira only 2 1/2 years ago. Now its more than that for a 1 bedroom!! INFLATION IS HUGE!

Conclusion = Allowance is not enough.

Boeingrestricted
11th Apr 2015, 07:46
@ twentyyears toolate

What about the leave allotment , how many days a year ? Is it correct that you will/can get winter -12 days and summer -8 without days before or after?
And is it correct that they (can)give you a flight at 01:00 the night your annual leave ends?

twentyyearstoolate
11th Apr 2015, 08:19
Boeingrestricted - Check your PM's.

porkflyer
11th Apr 2015, 14:06
The problem starts with the fact that there is no real civil aviation in Turkey. The vast majority of pilots are still coming from air force/army/navy and flew anything form F16 to CASA to helicopters. The style, the hierarchic system are still today very much the same.Many times I was asked "what squadron are you on" well..more or less. No leave first year , deduction from salary if sick and absurd related procedures, no money if you don't fly, 20 days max leave after one year , killing roster up to 110 hours per month, minimum days off ending late before your day off and starting early just after the place is survivable just by those that have no alternative.
Still the reason behind this fooked up Bulgarian charter style T&Cs is that of these pilots many would not stand chance if not else for the level of English ( 6 on the license 1 in reality).The remainder by the way is largely made of their sons and new blood is very rare creating kind of a professionally incestuous environment Ethics or meritocracy are unknown words. Only seniority counts. ..and who you know/are related to. Very dangerous in this business. I believe it will take 100 years to change this and therefore I decided not to wait. I still believe that expat pilot will not last that long in THY as they are evidently an anomaly. As said it is good if you are cashing your pension and want to make some extra money flying 777. Do not think of THY as a career move and stay far far away from Turkish narrow bodies .

Kapitanleutnant
11th Apr 2015, 14:25
I have heard it's about 70, maybe 80 hours for the 21 days flying on the 777.

Is it even possible to do 110 hours in those 21 days???

What is a typical 777 roster by the way…. anyone care to divulge or share?

Thanks

Kap

foswillruletheworld
11th Apr 2015, 16:12
porkflyer;
You are right that there is a strong chain of command because of the ex military guys. For example a guy who left military with a low rank and yunger, another guy like 5 years later with an older age and higher rank.
The first guy has become a captain and the second guy sits on the right seat. They are struggling who is on the top of the chain. They still feel like they are in the military and act accordingly which i think is very very bad.
Annual leave is the right you get after you first year so you can think it as 20 days for the first 2 years, than yearly 20 days.
English level in general is bad. I mean bad for the captains of ex military. However captain number of civilian background is increasing. Those guys are mostly from the origin of aviation academy of university or engineering. So their english is pretty good. moreover you won't have a problem of CRM with any of them.
However! You never fly 110 hours a month in THY. I mean that is impossible in many ways. First of all the regulations of THY is according to EASA so the crew rest regulations are too. Besides company really really wouldn't let you fly that much because they are supposed to pay you the double of your basic pay. So THY prefers to hire another pilot instead of making one guy fly the whole flights.
I have a lot of friends at almost all fleets of THY so here is the deal:

B737: 70-75 hours monthly. High season: 85 hours. Sometimes you get the ground transport for SAW airport which is far away and the traffic is crazy so you spend like 2-3 hours to get there from home. Mostly Africa flights, 5-6 days layover here and there, but never in Europe. a lot of domestic destinations. 10-12 days off a month.

A319-320-321: 65 months monthly. High season 80 hours. Very very relaxed roster. One of my friends came to his hometown for 7 days in a row. Mostly Europe and domestic, sometimes ME, rarely Africa flights. 10-16 days off a month.

A330: 65-70 hours monthly. High season 75 hours. Very relaxed roster as well. Rarely Europe and Africa, mostly domestic(not more than 2 legs: ADB, AYT, ESB flights not exceeding 1 hour a leg) and far east flights. 12-18 days off.

A340: I have no friends on this type so no detailed information. THY is getting rid of 340's in time so i don't think information won't be available in a couple of years.

B777: 60-65 hours. High season same. A lot of South and North America flights, sometimes far East and Japan. 2-3 times domestic same route as A330. very rarely Africa flights. Sometimes you have 2 flights a month.
1 at the beginning of the month to the U.S.A and 1 at the end to far east like China. 10 consecutive days off in the middle.
At least 12 days off. Sometimes 20 :)
So as you can see you never fly 110 hours a month in THY. If you would be able to fly those hours(would definetely be covering your weekends) you would get paid like 26-27000TL at least as a first officer and that is like 9,700 euros a month. after tax which is impossible.

You can combine 4 days off at the end of the month and 4 days off at the beginning of the next in any fleet. So you will have 8 days off in a row. You get paid extra for weekend flights(i think only for sundays), national holidays, religious holidays. If you come home after 12 at night, the next day is given you as a rest day(not off). You have 8 days off minimum every month.

Don't go to B737 in THY. Any other fleet is really relaxed rosterwise. A lot of off days and crew planning respect your off days as far as i know. You mostly get your off days bidding.

I hope this information helps.

Kapitanleutnant
11th Apr 2015, 16:21
Thanks fo…

Perfect brief for us.

Gotta say, it seems a little better and better the more I look into it.

You mentioned they wouldn't fly a guy the more hours but rather would hire a second pilot so as to not fatigue the first pilot. I wish EK had that concept!!! And they wonder why so many are looking at other options….

K

foswillruletheworld
11th Apr 2015, 17:05
Of course there are some problems in THY.
First of all there are 4 groups:

-Islamic oriented guys(due to THY is under the control of Turkish government and they are really strong in so many ways-would know if following international politics). Mostly don't know what they are doing. Just getting their really big paychecks with a lot of 0's on it and trying to poke people who know what they are doing. They don't like anyone except their own people.

-Ex military guys. Unaware of chain of command in civil aviation. God help civil oriented people if one of them came from general(commander) rank from airforce. They mostly don't like foreigners. In their twisted mind, the foreigners are the people who are taking the salaries of the upcoming military guys who are about to resign. Lack of civil aviation knowledge, some have good handling skills and general knowledge but mostly ignorant. Gets angry pretty quickly, sometimes breaking the CRM. Don't like civilians but thinking they are better than foreigners. Mostly lack of english, however surprisingly mostly holding an ICAO Level 5 or 6 on their certificate, which DGCA rated me as 4 :)

-Civil oriented guys. Mostly well educated and well handling. Some lack of general aviation knowledge but eager to learn. However THy has dropped down the requirements(about the general knowledge in the assessments) for the last 2 years. So the quality of new recruitments are not as before. However still better knowledge than military guys in general. Fluent english. Mostly young(from mid 20's to 30) Good capability of observation and situational awareness. In war with ex military guys who made them suffer for the last 10-15 years. Now getting good positions in the management and paying back their debts(REVENGEEE) to the ex military guys. Generally in good relations with foreigners.

-Foreigners. Generally fluent english and CRM. Sometimes becoming a little cocky and lack of respect(in terms of Turkish style). Getting their paychecks and keeping low profile. Staying away from politics.

So if you are a captain THY might be a really good choice especially if you are a wide body experienced pilot. If FO, you need to bare some sh.t attitude, but still able to maintain your nice flight hours and money.

Just as an additional information: For A319-320-321 fleet, most weekend flights are given to foreigners. I don't know why but they get better paychecks than turkish guys because of this.

And one more thing. Most of the fleets except B737 fly 800 hours maximum yearly(roughly). So for the EK guys who are sick of the company due to all night flights, fatigue and minimum rest in general might look up for THY(if they know the conditions). I don't think it is a very bad choice. And it is alway better to live in a ME country which is slightly infected by European style than a REAL ME country.

de facto
11th Apr 2015, 17:24
With such a detailed assessment of your peers,THY ought to promote you to TRE,first thing in the morning:rolleyes:

foswillruletheworld
11th Apr 2015, 17:33
lol
I am not working for THY but any turkish pilot's target is that airline, especially and specificly wide body. I gave the information coming from friends directly. Some from military, some from civilian background. My first aim was the same. But right now my biggest target is to get out of Turkey as soon as possible. For a turkish citizen who is carrying a brain and can use it, this country has become the biggest center of torture(speaking of politics)
So good luck for those whose only aim is to feed their families and trying to get a better life for them.
My chance for THY or Turkey has long gone. Already applied for green card and if i can get there, i will not care for major or minor airline, i will be out of here...

porkflyer
11th Apr 2015, 18:03
A very good assessment I must say and my compliments for your English that, until a new Ottoman empire will dominate the world, still is the official language of aviation not so common in Turkey
I see there have been some general improvements and also read on a forum I can still access that a few foreign FO are now upgrading. That gives some points to THY.
Still I can show you my roster as B737 cpt back in 2011/2012 and I can show you that I was rostered more than 100 hours in a month mutliple times and flew 998 hours in 11 months. For what I hear/read at least on that fleet the situation seems unchanged.

foswillruletheworld
11th Apr 2015, 18:31
porkflyer thanks for the compliments :8
Unfortunately i guess this is the curse of the type of B737.
However even for 737 things started to change. There have been a mass resignation wave from Pegasus(you probably know them under the name of Sunturk-the guys always asking for visuals and shortcuts lol ) In 2013 approximately 150 pilots joined THY and all are 737 pilots. So the crewing levels for 737 started getting better and better. Until the end of this year there will be so many 737 pilots in THY that they are going to have to switch their type to either 330 or 777. This is not a confirmed info but my guess.
As the 777 order rates are relatively lower than the 330, i can say many 737 guys are highly likely to be given to the 330 fleet. A320 family crewing levels seems to be fine but i don't know anything about the future of the fleet.

And Kapitanleutnant,
I said that THY would prefer to recruit one more pilot instead of paying the current one overtime. However this is not the company philosophy. THY had a very strong union about 10 years ago and they forced THY to give away many rights for the employees(minimum 8 days off per month where Turkish DGCA minimum is 7, really generous overtime/layover/weekend payments etc.). So this philosophy is the result of the gaines of the union.
However the union is torn apart now by the governing party of the government with a lot of manipulations and corruption like bribery, blackmail etc. So i don't think THY is going to give away more if they can have the enough crew levels.
As EK used to have enough crew levels until last year, they didn't give anything and they are now trying to get their butt together :hmm:
So if THY was at the same position and with the absence of union and a DGCA who is not even reading the manuals before approving, it would have been a disaster.
So none of the companies will learn not to make budget cuts on the crews unless they face the earthquake within.
By the way, THY catering rules.

As there are rumours about foreign FO's being upgraded i have spoken to a friend who is a 737 captain and assistant of chief of type(i think he started in 777 now). It is true that they upgrade foreign FOs. In addition to that; they have started giving TRI position to foreign captains who are willing to have one if it is ok with the seniority list.

This is my last additional info.

Kapitanleutnant
11th Apr 2015, 18:36
FO..

Check your PM's….

K

flareflyer
11th Apr 2015, 18:39
Dear Fo.....
Ek, in the last 4 or 5 years never had a proper number of crew.....
They always prefere to screw the pnes they have......
And things will not change......

foswillruletheworld
11th Apr 2015, 19:04
Kapitanleutnant, checked and responded

flareflyer,
You are probably right. I am not really educated about the internal stuff going on in EK. Just had some bad experiences through some friends.
If that is true what you are saying(not having enough crews and still budget cuts and achieving the level of slavery) that is just poor management. Some stupid people would see the ship sink rather than listening to other people(in this case smart people).
It is just the same what is happening in my company right now. As people leaving they are trying to find excuses as he was a foreigner/he wanted to be with his family/he always wanted to fly wide body etc. and it will come to a certain point that they will not be able to find anyone, ground some aircrafts and give subcharters to someone else for a very high price.

Kirks gusset
12th Apr 2015, 08:41
Turkish Airlines - Announcement - turkishairlines.com (http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-int/corporate/announcements/announcement/roadshow-in-london-gatwick-airport-13-april-2015)

We assume they are targeting NAS and Ryan pilots as well as sand dwellers..
With FOs netting around 5000 Euros a month and Captains over 9000 on short haul fleets perhaps there will be some interest..

wrightbrother
12th Apr 2015, 10:26
Roadshow in Dubai - 20/21 April 2015
Turkish Airlines invites you to take part in its exclusive Roadshow in Dubai
Istanbul's tranquility lies in its ability to embrace its beauties, and is one of the largest, liveliest and most exciting cities in the World.
Our mission is to become the preferred leading European air carrier thanks to its strict compliance with flight safety.
As the best Airline in Europe for four consecutive years, we understand that our customers choose us as their preferred carrier for various reasons ranging from our extended range of destinations that we fly to; as well as for striving to continue to provide world class service.
Turkish Airlines is currently seeking to employ Captains and First Officers who wish to become part of our continued growth and success.
For detailed information please visit:
Turkish Airlines - Career Recruitment - turkishairlines.com (http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-int/career-recruitment)
Roadshow Details:
Date: 20-21 April 2015
Time: Morning Session 10:00 / Afternoon Session 15:00
Venue: Le Meridien Dubai Hotel & Conference Centre
Airport Road, Dubai - United Arab Emirates
We hereby sincerely invite you to attend.
:D

safelife
12th Apr 2015, 18:26
Regarding the upgrades, did those expat FOs hold a university degree?
I was told you can't upgrade without in Turkey.

60west
13th Apr 2015, 09:59
A typical roster is with 3 ER trips.
You might also get a quick day trip, on the rise recently with the fleet growth. Could be Izmir or as far as Lhr or Cmn.
In 2014 I flew about 850 hrs, monthly avg 71, with a min of 45 and a Max of 99.

You get paid overtime above 70, sims and deadheading included.
Current rate per extra hr is TL 282.

Minimum rest at base after ER is 48 hrs.
The block off days are 9, often get a extra one.
Plan on 13 off days per month, plus a couple of stby days.
Commuting is on a confirmed economy tkt.
As a Captain you are entitled to business, I have never travelled in economy so far. Same for wife. Kids get business only if travelling with you.

The 2000 TL rental allowance has never been increased, might be sufficient in some places, definitely not in others.
Salary increased in 2014 by about 10%, only just to cover the official inflation rate.

When you leave you can claim back from Social Security part of what was payed during your contract. Been told it's roughly one months salary for every year of stay.

Cockpit atmosphere generally relaxed, CRM not always at top with a few of the "colonels".
Recent intake of fo's quite good, most from their academy or from other turkish airlines or from defunct european airlines, quite a few germans.

Training, gnd or sim or line, not an issue...

Kirks gusset
13th Apr 2015, 17:02
If you talk to HR they will tell you with no degree you will be paid less as a Captain as the salary tier structure shows with " no high school diploma"
Regarding upgrades of Foreign FOs, let's see, from where I sit.. I can't see any planned, but then again who knows what's ahead. The chances of a foreign FO getting Captain upgrade on wide body is zero to minus 10!

foswillruletheworld
13th Apr 2015, 20:42
marvelman,
I was about to share that information. Thanks for taking the action quickly.
The currency of $ against TL is very unstable right now. Yesterday it was 2,62TL and today it is 2,67. I don't know if THY has a currency rate protection for foreigners or not, but the unstability will continue until the elections which will take place on 7th June. After that FED will decide on incresing the interest rates and the currency is expected to reach 1USD=3TL.(3.2 according to some big shot CEO friends who work on some big shot finance establishments)
I think THY will respond to that quickly but you never know.
Some people might want to stay away from Turkey for a while. I think that is a good idea. Especially for ones who is looking for FO positions.

thrustidle74
14th Apr 2015, 12:35
Can someone confirm the exact new improved salary in TLs?
Is it 29000TL+20% now?(for wide body captains)

Kapitanleutnant
14th Apr 2015, 15:20
Or you can wait until the Turkish Airlines Road Show in Dubai and ask them directly.

K

thrustidle74
14th Apr 2015, 15:44
thrustidle74,

Last week THY's agents sent solicitation emails "Improved Salary and Bonus" with the so-called "New" Terms and Conditions attached.
One of these Latest T&C's and a great deal of info, already posted within these 3 pages here.
The implied so-called 20% increase is already included in the "New" average monthly salary and bonus, paid in Turkish lira, TRY 29,432 / USD 11,064, before Turkish taxes.
In general, Turkish Lira record devaluation in progress, political and financial uncertainty, as investors moving billions out of Turkey.

Thanks for the info, I've read the previous posts but I was confused. My friends there say the pay is already 29400TRY. That's why I was wondering. As you said it must be "so called" improved pay.

Kapitanleutnant
14th Apr 2015, 17:07
Every which way I try to figure this out, I don't come close to the 29K TL figure…. I'm about where Marvels is…. with the added quarterly profit share…. 24K or thereabouts

K

thrustidle74
14th Apr 2015, 17:34
Every which way I try to figure this out, I don't come close to the 29K TL figure…. I'm about where Marvels is…. with the added quarterly profit share…. 24K or thereabouts

K

Here is the link
http://jobs.flightglobal.com/job/1401416229/turkish-airlines-b777-captains-improved-salary-and-bonus-/

My friends confirmed they are already getting what is stated in the improved package. That's why I was confused.

thrustidle74
15th Apr 2015, 01:35
That must be it Marvel. It makes sense.

twentyyearstoolate
15th Apr 2015, 06:06
Let's face it. 99.9% of expats spend their money overseas, whether short term or long term, whether it's US Dollars, Euros, Pounds, Aussie Dollars etc. So this 20% pay rise is just complete BS. It's purely a rapidly declining currency, and 20% in real terms is actually a pay DROP in your home curency!

Get used to seeing these campaigns from THY, as they will be one of the very few Airlines that can spout these supposedly "substantial" pay rises, all the while their costs are reducing. When you buy a THY ticket in Turkey, whilst it is charged in Lira, the price increases according to the exchange rate of a real currency. Therefore with strong solid income for them and reducing salaries for you (THY employees), THY is doing just fine :rolleyes:

There are good points to the long haul gig, but the pay rise is a BS gimmick campaign. Go in informed and with your eyes wide open.

Kapitanleutnant
15th Apr 2015, 11:46
Can someone smarter than I tell me why this FCI advert says the Turkish taxes are 1-2% whereas the others are saying 5%?

So confused…. :-)

Kap

Stone_cold
15th Apr 2015, 13:07
Hey Kap , They probably let slip the % extra they skim off you :E:E

bob777
15th Apr 2015, 17:39
Don' t trust anybody not even the mirror:=

de facto
16th Apr 2015, 09:43
Its all because of the village' idiot.:E

bob777
16th Apr 2015, 15:51
Seems the village idiot is costing a lot to THY...

TypeIV
17th Apr 2015, 15:54
TEMEL KOT?L; 'YERL? P?LOTA KASTIMIZ YOK' (http://www.airporthaber.com/havacilik-haberleri/temel-kotil-yerli-pilota-kastimiz-yok.html)

"Please do not be mad at us for employing foreigners, we employ 700 foreigners at the moment but we are facing a pilot shortage. A captain takes 6 years to produce, therefor we have to employ them, we have nothing against our own"

"Turkish airlines pilots are our astronauts, they look after themselves and keep improving so much that they are our astronauts"

"The accident in France has taught us something new, the pilot job is something critical, the pilot there recently broke up with his girl friend, I think. Therefore, single pilots must get married ASAP"

cucuotto
18th Apr 2015, 18:47
I think this message from the CEO beside its absurdity clarifies and confirms that Turkish Airlines is no place for expat. The attitude appears appalingly utilitarian and opportunistic. The austronaut just destroyed a brand new 330 by braking all possible regulatory and operation limits only the latest of serie of incidents that killed more than 1000 people in 25 years. Delusions and arrogance a dangerous mix. I personally stay far away even as passenger..😃

Kapitanleutnant
18th Apr 2015, 19:30
Is this for real?????

K

TypeIV
19th Apr 2015, 21:54
Puts things into perspective. If it suits your short term needs, it might be a nice gig but don't have too high expectations.

flareflyer
20th Apr 2015, 11:53
This morning roadshow there were about 50 guys, most of them 777 ek........
The guys from TK were pretty honest and clear.
Money is nothing special but considering that you make around 10.000 euros to fly 70 hours a month I think it is quite good.
I see it as a very good option for this with older kids, out of school.
Very interesting is that in case you will stay more than 5 years you will also get some kind of state pension. I don't know how much it will be but if you can invest 10 or 15 years it my work quite decently.
As i said it is nothing special but comparing with 90 or more hours every month for many other years i would be very happy to get their job........

Kapitanleutnant
20th Apr 2015, 13:10
Flare…

I too thought it was a fair and direct assessment of flying at Turkish. I also thought the money was not quite what it could be and I didn't hear and answer regarding the income protection plan.

However at some point in a career, it's not about the money anymore…. it's about lifestyle and our health!!

K

thrustidle74
20th Apr 2015, 13:20
Flare…

I too thought it was a fair and direct assessment of flying at Turkish. I also thought the money was not quite what it could be and I didn't hear and answer regarding the income protection plan.

However at some point in a career, it's not about the money anymore…. it's about lifestyle and our health!!

K

There's no protection plan, however the pay review takes place every 2 years and pay rise decided for the following 4 batches of 6 months (ie 4 pay rises every 6 months for 2 year period) and always an increment plus inflation. Historically around 10-20% every 6 months. Sometimes less sometimes more depending on the inflation.Bear in mind this data is old, about 10 years ago. Don't think it had changed much.

Boeingrestricted
20th Apr 2015, 14:26
How did you calculate the 10000 euro flare? coz its 22000 tl for 70 hrs and the bonus is around 8700 every 3 months or did I miss here something?

thrustidle74
20th Apr 2015, 15:33
How did you calculate the 10000 euro flare? coz its 22000 tl for 70 hrs and the bonus is around 8700 every 3 months or did I miss here something?

Only if you add up accommodation allowance and university degree pay it adds up to about 9400€ based on today's rate.

Kapitanleutnant
20th Apr 2015, 15:44
BoeingRestricted….

I took a photo of the pay scale slide while it was up and what I can see for wide body Captain is TL 29,377. This Includes, from what I can tell, the quarterly bonus divided up to get a better representation of monthly pay. This is all for 70 hours of flying.

According my exchange rate app as of today, this TL 29,377 comes to 10,123 Euros. Then subtract the 5% tax taken out 9,616 Euros ($10,341) which would be take home pay.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here….

Kap

JammedStab
20th Apr 2015, 15:54
Minimum rest at base after ER is 48 hrs.
The block off days are 9, often get a extra one.
Plan on 13 off days per month, plus a couple of stby days.
Commuting is on a confirmed economy tkt

9 block days off is nice but.......can you put your blocks back to back so that you can get 18 off in a row and do this every time for your time off?

sluggums
20th Apr 2015, 17:07
For those of you planning to go there I can only hope they run the company better than the presentation, it was utterly crap.

Mr Angry from Purley
20th Apr 2015, 17:17
9 block days off is nice but.......can you put your blocks back to back so that you can get 18 off in a row and do this every time for your time off?

Yeah of course you can, work you to the bone - funny how any fatigue considerations go out the window when days off or money are involved :\:\

alwayzinit
20th Apr 2015, 17:28
Slugs, its always subjective, however, I thought the show this afternoon was pretty honest and open.
The commuting roster is workable though not 100% ideal ( WTF is these days?!).
The money and general package looked pretty attractive to us old gits with grown kids.
I am awaiting a copy of a buddies rosters on the 777 to see what its like "in real life".
The THY HR guys were quite open about the fact that they need expat pilots with experience. Fullstop. And are prepared to be flexible to get them. For example, they even mentioned doing as much of the selection process here in DXB, being well aware of the days off situation within our current outfit.
THY's new pay award is in negotiation so it will be interesting to see how the comparisons work out.

ps the degree thing is now dropped for the equivalent of a High School Diploma, according to the guys this pm.

sluggums
20th Apr 2015, 17:42
alwayzinit, all fair points, I'll agree. But is it smoke and mirrors? "Yes, we'll give you this and that...", but once you've joined up then the gloss comes of? The presentation struck me as being very egotistical, for example, "We want 120m pax by 2023 as it's the 100th anniversary of the Turkish Empire", or something similar.

It's the same with all these roadshows, lots of promises, but are they kept...?

The diploma thing is probably because they can't get enough expat pilots. I did chuckle when one of the team was an ex-EK captain who's been on the seniority list here for the last couple of years...

BTW, did anyone ask about smoking in the cockpit policy...?

porkflyer
20th Apr 2015, 17:50
Sluggums... they don't..:ugh:

Boeingrestricted
20th Apr 2015, 21:00
That comes closer to the reality I guess Kap. Including everything without any deductions.

Brix
22nd Apr 2015, 16:09
They require a university degree...

At the same time they discriminate by age.

Same old primitive arrogance.

object.Dispose();

sluggums
23rd Apr 2015, 18:09
High School diploma only now...

bob777
23rd Apr 2015, 19:03
You should have a look to the EUR/TRY USD/TRT charts. The TRY is back at 2,93 for 1 EUR losing another 10% in few weeks. I would suggest you all wait the outcome of June elections. The political tension both domestically and internationally with the Armenian genocide issue is very high...and it will get worse. The currency lost 100% of its value to the dollar in 4 years and economy is slowing down. Just my two cents...

JGSE
23rd Apr 2015, 19:28
100%???...

foswillruletheworld
23rd Apr 2015, 23:10
JGSE as a Turkish i do agree with 100% part. Currencies between TL euro and USD will change dramatically. Just watch and see. Today USD went up to 2.73TL and back to 2.70 again. That's a 1% change a day and believe me you will see 5-10% changes in a really short future.

foswillruletheworld
24th Apr 2015, 10:31
Today the USD is 2.7416TL and the euro is 2.9676TL so far.
USD change is 1.25% and euro 1.2% for only 5 hours.
In about an hour new statistics to come from the U.S. and if they are good expecting USD to reach 2.76-2.77TL in about a couple of hours.

Airbusiness
26th Apr 2015, 06:49
I work for THY on Widebody and there is no 20% pay raise!

I don't know where the agency got that info from, but it's not correct.

Besides that THY is reducing your block of days off, when you have vacation. So basically you don't have 20 days annual leave, which you are promissed during your assessment and what your contracts says, it's more like 14-16 days. Crew planing do not honor your contract. They Fleet manager is trying to help you getting what your contract says, but Crew planing is above Fleet officer and therefore just ignoring Fleet office request!

de facto
27th Apr 2015, 10:11
No wonder they cant recruit....below standard salary,below standard terms.
If they dont increase the salary substantially,they wont get captains,at least experienced ones,they will keep on bending metal,they wont be able to better the schedules which means more will leave.....they are doomed.

furbpilot
28th Apr 2015, 13:20
De Facto..what happened? I remember you as strenuous defender of THY.

porkflyer
28th Apr 2015, 18:57
Well what did I tell you? The levantine attitude ( constantly trying to screw anyone which is not of their kind) their arrogance (opposed to one of the most appalling gross incompetence ) , the immense frustration weighing over their shoulder added to one of the worst management and leadership style ever seen are again proving dangerous... 2 in 2 months.. Airbus must be happy.:ugh: Qualified expat were an excellent occasion to improve but to do so you must admit your shortcomings and learn humbleness... they are just ******* it up.

de facto
29th Apr 2015, 13:49
furbpilot

De Facto..what happened? I remember you as strenuous defender of THY. Have you come to the same conclusion many others have?. Pride and stubbornness kills in this business.

I dont recall defending THY but the people of turkey in general...

furbpilot
30th Apr 2015, 10:48
De Facto I don't recall anyone saying anything generally negative about Turkey or its inhabitants but I don't spend such a lot of time here may be I'm wrong. Sure is that the THY sample, that is the one expat pilot came in contact with, whilst not representative of the whole population (for its peculiarities and often background) and furthermore with a large ( but still a minority ) number exception, has often not really given, one way or the other, a positive impression and this is now effecting THY reputation as an employer, and may be, in part at least , also the perception of Turkey . The responsibility sure lies on the management or lack of thereof. Having said this, adding present T&Cs and falling TRY I see it hard to find the right candidates..if not those out of options one way or another. Many I hear are considering leaving..even Turkish pilots which is something to the aforementioned management should really ring a bell. A radical change of attitude and a substantial improvement of T&C with some ( limited in time in order to settle down may be? ) benefit for expat , whilst costly in the beginning, will save THY money in the end and attract competent and experienced pilots on all seats to help THY becoming a real international carrier...Messi is not enough . Just my two cents.

Kapitanleutnant
30th Apr 2015, 10:52
Some of the best commercials ever!! And tbh, I noticed Turkish Airlines a lot more when I saw those commercials. Messi may not be enough, but it sure succeeded in getting people to notice Turkish Airlines, both as passengers and as flight crew.

K

furbpilot
30th Apr 2015, 11:31
Kptlnt..no doubt the commercial part of the operation including on board service are top notch and advertising campaigns are very effective...the risk is to see all this effort voided... Plane do not fly with good food.....

de facto
1st May 2015, 10:57
furbpilot Plane do not fly with good food.....
Funny, I heard this before:E

cucuotto
1st May 2015, 16:25
http://chart.finance.yahoo.com/t?s=EURTRY%3dX&lang=en-US&region=US&width=300&height=180

twentyyearstoolate
1st May 2015, 17:04
A 12 hour exchange rate graph is completely useless.:ugh:

foswillruletheworld
1st May 2015, 18:55
This is EUR exchange rate for different time periods.
First of all
This is weekly:
http://i.imgur.com/wbYvo2V.jpg

This is monthly:
http://i.imgur.com/dPI3Ckm.jpg

This is yearly:
http://i.imgur.com/EaFXN74.jpg

And last this is 6 years:
http://i.imgur.com/vRziOn4.jpg

Do the math yourself.
If you like i can post the change in USD too...

twentyyearstoolate
2nd May 2015, 04:51
Now that's more useful, and does indeed show the Turkish Lira does paint some very nice looking steep graphs!

Please don't post the US Dollar graphs.... It's just too depressing!!:}