PDA

View Full Version : Australian Schools

david 3354
8th Jun 2002, 11:11
HI,

Some friends and I are planning to travel the world post uni.

I am considering combining this with some elementary (ppl) training in Australia.

Can anyone recommend any JAR schools in Oz?

is this a good idea?

cheers

redsnail
8th Jun 2002, 11:25
Unless it has changed recently there are no JAR schools in Australia. You can do a PPL no probs but I am not sure how it will convert over in the UK. You'd need to check that out with the CAA. You'd still get some good flying in cheaply though.

Capt L
8th Jun 2002, 13:50
Unless the rules have changed very recently you can fly day VFR on an Ozzie Licence in the UK no probs.

david 3354
8th Jun 2002, 13:54
I should have made it clear this was with a mind to ATPL.
Flyer last ed. said you could do a full JAR/CAA PPL for £3000.

24Right
10th Jun 2002, 08:12
If you're going West, then you might try Minovation at Jandacott (Perth's GA airport). Min is a UK ex-pat and so is well up on UK requirements. Jandacott has excellent facilities (proper tower, several hard runways, lights, nav aids etc).

Email is [email protected].

4seater
11th Jun 2002, 16:19
CAS at Bankstown have a good operation, with loads of aircraft and instructors.

I have an Australian PPL, which the CAA told me with 130 hrs TT, I would need to pass air law, Human performance UK exams and a flight test to convert to UK PPL.

FlyingForFun
12th Jun 2002, 09:12
As far as I know, there is nowhere in Oz where you can get a JAR ATPL. You can certainly get an Oz ATPL and convert it, but it's not easy - Redsnail is our resident expert on that subject, having just done so herself.

FFF
-----------------

busconductor
13th Jun 2002, 06:33
From memory BAE Systems in Adelaide were doing BA training and probably have CAP509 accreditation. You could ask.

Gunner B12
13th Jun 2002, 07:56
Just do the Oz Atpl and don't bother going back. You can even get a student's visa which would allow you to work 20 hours per week. The profession of Airline Pilot is also full points on the migration skills list!

Air Australia, R.A.C.W.A or Minovation are all supposed to be good in the Perth area to name but a few. Food and Flying are cheap in West Australia accomodation is also relatively easy to find at reasonable rates.

As they said on the game show.

Come on down, the price is right.

:D :D :D :D

david 3354
13th Jun 2002, 08:50
HMMM.... maybe thats not such a bad idea. Not getting much golfing weather over here lately...

Gunner B12
17th Jun 2002, 02:44
I should have also pointed out that we also have world class golf courses freely available to the public. Some quite cheaply.

I should be on a commission from the tourism board!

:D :D :D :D

david 3354
18th Jun 2002, 12:18
Hotmail seems to have lost the email from STREWTH please can you resend as I am very interested in flying in NZ too!

cheers

dave

mattbrowne
18th Jun 2002, 22:01
See:

http://www.aft.com.au/cplafsd.htm

for links to many aussie school websites

Matt:)

Aussie Andy
19th Jun 2002, 06:07
Not sure that planning to do an Oz ATPL and then work there is a great one - have a listen in on the Dunnunda & Godzone forum; seems not many jobs around for the locals with these already.

iainpoll
19th Jun 2002, 06:49
Not sure about Australia, but in NZ, (at the PPL level) Tasman Bay Aviation are very good. Based in Nelson (nice town on the south island, has best weather in NZ). Jenny was my instructor, and was superb. They use PA38'S.

www.flytasmanbay.co.nz

Hope this helps.:cool: