PDA

View Full Version : belguim jet ban

jetrider
7th Jun 2002, 15:38
Has anyone else heard about the Belgiums banning any jet aircraft that doesnt have a bypass engine of 2 to1 from operating from any of its airports, supposly starting from april next year.
Is this the belgium pilots union putting pressure on their government to protect what jobs there are for there own people.
As the government apparently has paid for the ex sabena pilots to be retrained onto other types with a night freighting company.:confused:

VIKING9
7th Jun 2002, 17:34
I heard that the Belgians will want to ban stage 3 a/c, such as the Super 727 being operated for TNT. dare say TNT will have something to say about that. Seems that a top noch woman in the Belgian Government is behind this mad scheme.:mad:

Send Clowns
7th Jun 2002, 18:33
Surely this will breach EU legislation? I knwo that on continental Europe that doesn't necessarily prevent it happening, but there will be some official fuss.

9gmax
7th Jun 2002, 20:55
Viking9
I've checked with some pals of mine who operate various acft from TNT network and they all confirmed that these are purely rumours, and no attention should be given to them.
the woman in question has already been reprimanded by her political partymembers for trying to bring this subject on line...
just forget it....the (night) freight operations are TOO IMPORTANT to the belgian economy to mess around with them.
And anyway, this topic is so minor in importance that it hasn't even reached the public press.....we've checked the national newspapers and websites, checked the tv news and no mention of it for the last two weeks.....
it's dead and buried....( we hope )

mutt
8th Jun 2002, 03:12
Sorry Send Clowns, but the Belgiums are allowed to increase the present European restrictions. They have already banned B747-100/200's from operating out of Brussels at night. The B727 is so close to the upper limit of stage 3, that I personally doubt that its legal noise level can be achieved in operational service. :(

Mutt.

VIKING9
8th Jun 2002, 08:37
9gmax - interesting points, I won't hold my breath though.....

Avman
10th Jun 2002, 19:15
:mad: For Goodness sake, anything or anyone from Belgium is BELGIAN. This, and hangers instead of hangars, as you may now have gathered makes me :mad:

Rant over :p