PDA

View Full Version : BAA in discussions to put £65m into NATS-Telegraph

MarkD
7th Jun 2002, 12:00
Telegraph story (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2002/06/07/cnbaa07.xml&sSheet=/portal/2002/06/07/ixport.html)

Indiana Jones
9th Jun 2002, 07:03
This would be great news if BAA invested, I believe they need to be a stakeholder in the Air Traffic System as well. But are we not missing somethiing here,......the very fact that BAA (most probably Man PLC) and indeed airports in general are the only companies that are making money in aviation right now.Without the airlines they are sunk......they bring them the passengers and have continued to do so, but at 40pc less revenue, so the numbers may be down a touch, but to entice cash flow they have had to lower the fares.Added to this BAA recently put £60m into Scottish airports,.....this is a partnership, shouldnt BAA be helping the airlines a bit, and irrespective of the CAA Commision currently reviewing their charges, should they not recognise this fact?

I do note the low cost carriers are making money, but in essence the majority of carriers and handling agents are bleeding from the wrists big time......so how did we let this one go past without commenting, or are we all happy for them to use the airlines to fill their shops?

Whats your view?

ALTSEL
9th Jun 2002, 12:54
Something needs to happen at NATS a.s.a.p. - yesterdays massive slot delays were due to staff shortages at LATCC acording to my mole on the inside. Some senior NATS management should try sitting in a packed jet parked on some ramp in the UK and europe waiting for your slot time to arrive.

This slot business is losing airlines millions each month and needs to be addressed now. The safety implications on stressed crews should be enough to get things moving but knowing how things happen in Blair Britain it will take an accident to wake up the clowns in goverment.

eyeinthesky
9th Jun 2002, 13:40
Don't forget also that NATS is turning away revenue every night by rerouting Oceanic traffic via Brest UIR because there are insufficient staff rostered on the West End sectors at night to open the sectors to meet the demand..! You think it's crazy? Try working for them!:rolleyes: