PDA

View Full Version : Flying requirements in the USA.

Vortex what...ouch!
7th Jun 2002, 09:54
I am looking at doing some flying in the USA later this year. I wrote to one of the schools out there and they tell me I must do 10 hours dual "Be aware that under the FAA regulations (SFAR73) you will need to receive 10 hours of dual instruction from an SFAR'ed instructor before you can act as PIC ".

Is theis true, as it is the first I have heard of it, or are they trying to rip me off?

Thanks for your help.

The Nr Fairy
7th Jun 2002, 12:34
Vortex :

Check http://www.flymidwest.com/SFAR73.html for the text of the SFAR.

I did the awareness training - about 1 - 2 hours on the ground, and about 1.5 hours in the air in an R22 and I got signed off.

My interpretation of the text :

1. You can't be PIC unless you've got 200 hours in helicopters including 50 in R22s.

2. If not 1) above, then you must have had at least 10 hours dual instruction in the R22 AND be signed off by a CFI authorised to do so.

I note no requirement to have the same CFI do the dual as do the signoff. That's how the two schools I've been to in the last 6 months interpreted it.

So, it's either a case of mis-interpretation or something more sinister. Out of curiosity, what school did you ask ?

Vortex what...ouch!
7th Jun 2002, 12:50
I presently have less than 200 hours total but expect to have over 200 by then so that would explain what they meant. It was helicopter adventures.

You did R22 flying there, where did you fly?

I’m also interested in flying a 206, any idea who rents them out SFH? I believe insurance is a problem in the US on the turbines. Not had that problem in the UK or Australia though.

Cheers

The Nr Fairy
7th Jun 2002, 13:23
I flew in Long Beach - check out Rotorheads for all sorts of suggestions as to where to fly there !

As for SFH turbines, no idea - too rich for my blood.