PDA

View Full Version : The Condor

Squawk7777
7th Jun 2002, 02:42
While browsing through some WWII books last night, I realized that I have never seen a FW 200 Condor in a museum. Well, honestly, I haven't been to many, but I wonder if one of you knows a museum which has a FW200 on display.

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/images/lrg1062.jpg

Taken from www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org

7 7 7 7

Volume
7th Jun 2002, 05:55
As far as I know, there is only one Condor left, and itīs in really bad condition.
It was recovered from a norwegian sund a few years ago, but this was done in a very poor manner. When trying to lift the plane out of the waters (using just two clamps around the wing roots) the large amount of water and mud inside let it broke apart.
Why oh why are the so many planes destroyed during recovery by non professional people (for example the keebird :confused: )
The Condor is now restored by either Airbus or Lufthansa, donīt know exactly, but it is at Bremen at the moment. Bremen was the former Focke-Wulf plant and now is Airbus. It will never fly again for shure, but might be suitable for a museum.
Some details showed the very good quality of the design and construction, even after 50 years in the sea, all 4 oleo struts of the main landing gear had internal pressure within the limits for airworthiness ! The guys dissasembling the parts were really wondering when they were suddenly soaked in oil when opening the cylinders...

treadigraph
7th Jun 2002, 08:08
When I was at La Ferte Alais about 15 years ago there was a fuselage alongside one of the hangars - I seem to recall that this was a French licence-built Condor, though I can't remember what it was called (Siebel?). Dunno whether Jean Salis had the rest of it, may have a pic somewhere in the loft.

solotk
8th Jun 2002, 01:42
The Condor is under restoration for DTMB Berlin. Dasa and Lufthansa, and a whole load of other German companies are involved in the restoration. Yes, it is a very big job. The Museum director tells me, about 10 years. However, the restoration has been greatly helped, by the find in very recent times, of a chunk of Condor centre section, being used as a garage!!!!! in Eastern Germany.

I am actively helping in the sourcing of parts for this aircraft, and have found bits as far afield as Jan Mayen Island, Ireland and Iceland , where some propellor assemblies are currently in a back garden!

If anyone has any leads on Condor parts, it would be appreciated

Tony:)

treadigraph
9th Jun 2002, 07:59
I think the French version was the Nord NC702 Martinet (flash of inspiration in the pub last night - who says alohol is debilitating?), but can't find any more details about it. The Musee de l'Air at Le Bourget is supposed to have one now, so proesumably that might be the one from La Ferte Alais.

GlueBall
17th Jun 2002, 16:08
Only 263 were built, including four export versions, 2 each for Brasil and Finland.
Engines: four 1200-hp BMW-Bramo 323 R-2 Fafnir radials.
Cruise speed: 190 Kts
Ceiling: 19,000 ft.
Range: 2300 NM
Weights: Empty 28,000 lb; Gross 51,000 lb
Length: 77 ft.
Span: 107 ft. 9 in.
Last Lufthansa scheduled wartime Condor flight was operated on Saturday, April 14, 1945 from Barcelona to Berlin.

PaperTiger
17th Jun 2002, 16:25
NC702 was a development of the NC701, which was an occupation-built Siebel 204. The Czech Aero C-3A was another copy. Twin engine, nothing like a Condor. The fuselage at La Ferte is being restored by Lufthansa too so maybe this is the source of any confusion.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/paqsenior/Avions1947.htm
http://www.algonet.se/~molrog/Luftwaffe/siebel/siebel.htm

treadigraph
17th Jun 2002, 22:13
Thanks Tiger,

Maybe I should stay off the beer after all! So, are Lufthansa restoring the Martinet to fly do you know?

That would be an interesting addition to their fleet!

Cheers.

PS just looked at the site - it is a lot smaller!

Cheers

A now strictly TT Tredders (yeah, right!)

Nopax,thanx
19th Jun 2002, 13:07
I took that French site back to the home page.....excellent reading, well worth a look, thanks PT!!!