PDA

View Full Version : ME IR Licensing Confusion

dn88
27th Feb 2015, 08:01
I'm hoping that some of the wisdom on this forum can help me to clarify this!

In November 2013 I completed my MEP rating and 2 weeks later my CPL. Roll forwards to June 2014 I started training part time for my MEIR and sat/passed my skills test in a DA 42 first time in October 2014. I subsequently finished my MCC in November 2014 with the aim of starting a twin jet Type Rating later in 2015.

My problem/question comes down to my license which I recently received back from the CAA (it took 3 months due to a question on my application form and their loss/mis-filing of my subsequent reply). In my ratings page the only thing listed is 'IR-SP-ME class/SE' valid until October 2015.

A) Is this correct? As far as I'm concerned using ME and SE in the same line is a contradiction and I want to be certain that the still counts as an MEIR.

B) Obviously my MEP expired in November 2014 but this was after my IR skills test and after the date that I submitted my IR application to the CAA. So presumably is ok?

C) Can I claim to have an 'f ATPL' and have sat my MCC with the way it is currently written?

D) Presumably to commence a Type Rating before October 2015 I'd simply have to renew my MEP?

Sorry for lots of questions but having felt like I crossed the final hurdle on the completion of my MCC, and a job lined up, I'm now a little worried that everything is in order.

nick14
27th Feb 2015, 12:15
Your rating is correct, it is an ME IR but also gives you SE privileges.

Sounds like your MEP Class has expired which is no big deal unless you want to fly MEP class aircraft in your spare time.

You hold a CPL, ME/IR, ATPL Theory and have completed the MCC course. There is no such thing as an fATPL although that's what many people call the above qualifications.

In order to add the first MPA type rating you will have to hold an ME/IR at the commencement of the course, your MEP Class is irrelevant. This however will be changing at the end of the year so it might be a different case if you don't start a type rating until next year.

dn88
27th Feb 2015, 21:02
Nick, thank you so much for the clarification.

I hope to commence a Type Rating before October, but otherwise I will have to renew my IR. Presumably I can renew the MEP at the same time? Would it require a slightly longer flight to do them both combined?

nick14
27th Feb 2015, 21:29
I'm not 100% but the IR alone should be around 1:00, the combined should take around 1:30 at a guess as there are extra items for the class.

Yes the IR must be current by the time you start the type rating.

Level Attitude
28th Feb 2015, 22:55
In my ratings page the only thing listed is 'IR-SP-ME class/SE' valid until October 2015.Your expired MEP should be entered on the back of your Licence.

Do you have an SEP?

It may not matter if you are solely concentrating on obtaining your Type Rating but, if no valid Class Rating, I take it you are aware that you are not currently entitled to be PIC in any aircraft.