PDA

View Full Version : 225 Sqn Whirlwinds

Alex Crawford
25th Feb 2015, 19:32
Hi,

can anyone shed some light on these two 225 Sqn Whirlwind force landings?

10th Jan 1962; Whirlwind came down and was recovered by a 72 Sqn Belvedere.

31st Jul 1962; Whirlwind suffered engine failure and came down in a field while on Exercise Blind Mouse IV in Germany. It was recovered by a 72 Sqn Belvedere and taken to Gutersloh.

I'm looking for the serial number, crew details and any other info regarding the force landings. It's for my continuing Belvedere research.

Regards,

Alex

DaveReidUK
25th Feb 2015, 19:39
Looking for records of a Royal Air Force squadron | The National Archives (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-subject/raf-squadron.htm)

Alex Crawford
25th Feb 2015, 19:51
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the link. I know the site well. Was hoping someone might know the answers before I go ordering stuff and waiting weeks for it to arrive.

Alex

Old-Duffer
26th Feb 2015, 05:45
Don't order anything just yet!!!!

At the RAF Museum, DORIS holds the RAF Forms 1180 and these record accidents and some incidents - definitions change over the years. These 1180s are filed by aircraft type, in date order, well the other way round actually. I suggest you arrange to go and look at the docs or ask DORIS staff if they will do so for you.

If that does not bring an answer, next try the RAF Forms 540/541 which are held at the NA Kew and can be readily accessed by a personal visit or by getting a researcher to do the job for you - £20 an hour or thereabouts.

Old Duffer

teeteringhead
26th Feb 2015, 08:24
And 72 still exists as an (R) Sqn flying Tucanos at Linton.

IIRC they retain the old scrapbooks/photo albums of 72, which are likely to have something on the incidents - there's nothing a Squadron likes better than recovering someone else's aircraft!! :E

Alex Crawford
26th Feb 2015, 18:48
Thanks for your replies guys, much appreciated.

Alex