PDA

View Full Version : FAA PPL status question

Superpilot
25th Feb 2015, 13:01
Hi all,

I was issued a FAA PPL issued on the basis of JAA PPL in 2007. In September 2008, I gained a JAA CPL. In 2015, I have upgraded to an EASA ATPL.

I wish to go back to the US this year or early next to do a spot of SEP flying and would like to find out the following:

Is my FAA PPL still valid considering I now hold an EASA ATPL? (The FAA PPL was originally issued on the basis of my PPL, not the now ATPL)

Also, currently my SEP rating on the EASA license is expired (listed in the previously held ratings table). I want to head over to the US with the intention of getting a little SEP training and then subsequently a checkride with the express aim of having the SEP rating on the FAA license only. Is that a possibilty? Does this count as "training" and therefore require a training visa?

I've fired off a question to the FAA too.

Thanks

7of9
25th Feb 2015, 17:58
Hi,

The JAA licence has different licence numbers than the EASA licence.

You will have to apply for a new US licence before you go over as your old US licence will now be invalid.

I did mine last year after converting the JAA FCL licence for the new EASA as it's based on the original licence number.

It has something to do with the first prefixes. JAA started UK-------- EASA starts GBR---------

Hope this helps.

Level Attitude
25th Feb 2015, 19:30
You say your FAA PPL was issued "based on" your JAA PPL.

I am assuming you now intend to apply for an FAA PPL "based on" your EASA ATPL?

If so, to fly SEP in the US, I would have thought that your EASA SEP Rating will also need to be valid - irrespective of your passing an FAA BFR (unless someone knows differently)

ChickenHouse
25th Feb 2015, 19:35
If your underling license for the FAA validation changes, you have to redo the validation process. If it would have been only changing J PPL/A to EASA Part.FCL PPL/A then a fast track revalidation would have be possible. By having a validation based on PPL and now changed to EASA ATPL you have to do the full validation again (and only get a PPL, so additional effort is necessary).

Superpilot
26th Feb 2015, 08:22
Thanks folks.

So as I understand it, I will have to go through the entire process again then visit a FSDO in the US to pick up new FAA license? (I've read somewhere it might be possible without going to the US too).

On the subject of not having a valid SEP rating on the EASA license, I take it no one knows with certainty if that is possible or not?

S-Works
26th Feb 2015, 08:49
Its not an FAA licence its a certificate.... But moving on....

You will only be granted the categories on your FAA certificate that are valid on the underlying licence. Any rating that you wish to exercise on the 61.75 certificate must be valid on the underlying licence.

You will need to go through the full validation process again and present your self to an FSDO for validation and then undertake a BFR in order to activate the certificate.

BackPacker
26th Feb 2015, 08:53
Alternatively, if your flying skills are up to scratch, you could also consider taking a lesson or two, do the FAA written and then to the FAA PPL checkride. That will give you a standalone PPL. That avoids similar hassle in the future.

You'd have to check whether TSA authorization and/or an M-1 visa is required though. Both are not complicated to obtain, but the TSA requires a bit of money and planning, and the M1 requires half a day (or even a full day) off to visit the embassy or consulate.

dont overfil
26th Feb 2015, 09:35
You will need to go through the full validation process again and present your self to an FSDO for validation and then undertake a BFR in order to activate the certificate.

Can existing 61.75 certificate holders not still upgrade to EASA status with the help if the CAA?

I did last year. Handed docs and proofs over at Sywell and received new plastic card through the post 3 weeks later from the FAA.
D.O.

ahwalk01
27th Feb 2015, 10:34
http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/easa/

custardpsc
28th Feb 2015, 14:12
Superpilot- most of what you ask is here:

(Mods - might it be sensible to move this thread to N. America?)

http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/418519-m1-visa-no-visa-sevis-approved-schools-usa.html

https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov/afsp2/?acct_type=p&section=FQ#C2

Foreign Pilot Certification, FAR 61.75 (http://72.29.72.117/~vatusade/SEMPPT/orl/forpilot.htm)

Not quite sure if you are actually just trying to get your 61.75 reissued, or you actually do want to do the checkride and have a standalone FAA private certificate. The advice on that of course depends on what you intend to do in the USA in the longer term. I have done both routes, my advice for the checkride is the B1 visa route as below.

Yes you do need TSA if your intention is to have training to gain your first FAA Certificate (61.75 is not an initial cert) . TSA require you to be legally present within the country. (their words) and the burden is on you to prove so if asked. They do threaten to revoke permission if you are in illegally. No, you don't need an M1 visa or a SEVIS approved school. SEVIS have stated to a colleague of mine who runs a substantial FAA 141 outfit that it is absolutely not permitted to issue an M1 visa if the attendance is less than 18hrs a week - which is not the popularly held view on here but it is nevertheless from the horses mouth and has the ring of truth. Anyway, assuming you don't want to trust a school you don't know with an upfront payment for an I-20 to get an M1 and be locked in to them, which would seem overkill anyway in your situation you then have four choices for the checkride/standalone option. I'll put them in longhand for the benefit of others in this situation:

1. TSA plus the B1/B2 visa - this is a good option. I used this for my FAA CPL training which was in three two week stints. This shows respectability to TSA and anyone else involved and is good for ten years. You will need this if you intend to fly across any USA borders (canada/mexico) That is a simplification, because there are ways of using your original entry stamp , but also its a very good reason to want one and a great answer to the embassy question as to why do you want a b1/b2? They asked me only - why did I not use ESTA, did I have a DUI? I said no, and that was it. Just the application fee and an on line form and interview. Much easier than M1.

2. TSA for initial private certificate and ESTA - you are legally in the country with ESTA, no issues there. You will have an entry stamp to prove so. The TSA process does not ask for any visa details. I recently had my IR training TSA coming up for being closed and opened a request for multi, and they knocked back the multi request with a query about my address, they need a full address history and wanted to know if I was at my uk home address or was still in the USA - I replied USA and they said, no problem, please prove you are here legally, I sent a cell phone pic of the entry stamp and the permission came a few days later.

3. ESTA ,TSA, training outside USA - You don't need anything in the way of a visa just for a checkride as there is no training involved in the ride, the catch for SEP is that you need 3 hours training within 60 days before the ride. You could do this anywhere you can find an FAA instructor who will sign for 3 hours , and it does require TSA regardless of where you do it but you could do that in the UK or wherever you can find an FAA instructor, so training/visa status is not an issue. This is an impractical route unless you are very confident you won't bust the ride because if you fail you need training/an endorsement to retake so you'll have to go home to get that.

4. Technically speaking - you don't need TSA unless you are going to be training for grant of an initial FAA cert, ie if you don't require any training you don't need TSA. Now, see the three hour catch above, but if you look closely at the endorsement section 61.39 part 6 it would seem you don't need an endorsement. I wrote to the examiner I was intending to use as below:

"I believe I have all the prerequisites for the check ride with the exception of one specific issue which I’d like to be sure about. This is the CFR 61.39 signoff. My understanding of this is that my situation is covered within part 6 below – I have a foreign licence that authorises the privileges being sought and thus a training endorsement is not required."

"You are correct, you do not need an FAR§61.39 endorsement."

If you are brave and can correspond with a DPE before you go, in that fashion, you could just go and do the written and checkride... in reality you'd need at least your 61.75 sorted out anyway so that you could get familar with the aircraft and airspace.

All of the checkride options require an FAA medical and written test

Other options include:

1. just get a 61.75 ( and BFR ) issued based on your ATPL /EASA medical - time was you'd get a commercial 61.75, now in line with ICAO, you only get private priviledges. You will have to go through the verification process, and one of two things will happen, they will just (incorrectly) issue it with SEP private on it, or they will issue it with your current ratings valid for private use. You can then add the SEP rating by checkride. I'd recommend calling the Foreign Airman Certification section in Oklahoma, they are great and do actually answer the phone (sorry I dont have the number to hand) and will give you answers much quicker than calling a FSDO who cwon't commit to answers and will only call those guys anyway. You can pay 400 USD to the one UK based FAA DPE who will send off the necessary paperwork to get a 61.75 but its much easier to do in the USA and a bit of googling (or a PM) will tell you why that is a better route anyway

2. revalidate your EASA SEP and then do the 61.75 and BFR.

Sorry that is a long read, but thought it was worth laying out the whole situation as so many people ask so many questions around this point.

Hope that was helpful.

Flying Eye
28th Feb 2015, 15:43
Sorry to but in but it does seem you are looking for the most complicated solution possible.

Why don't you simply go to america CA or FL for a holiday? You will not need any sort of visa just the usual homeland check.

While there you can walk into any number of flight schools or even flying shops and sit the SEP online test for an FAA PPL. As you have already done the JAA ones previously (if i have understood you correctly) you will not need to repeat them.

Walk into a flying school and book a refresher couple of hours or however long you feel you need. Any decent school will quickly assess you and let you know when you are ready for the Checkride.

Then simply book a checkride with an FAA/EASA qualified examiner and kill many birds with one stone. You will have an FAA SEP PPL right there and then. you will also add the SEP to your EASA licence.

Not only will this solve your current problems but it will 'future proof' your SEP flying. What with CAA changing over to JAA then as soon as that was beginning to settle ... over to EASA and with the current turmoil of the EU and everyone squabbling over who should be in charge who knows what is coming next!

you are perfectly entitled to do a little flying while you are on holiday and you will not need a visa for that. you are already an ATPL holder so you are not gaining a new profession etc.

Sorry ... have i missed something?

As you were

BackPacker
28th Feb 2015, 19:12
Sorry ... have i missed something?

Yes. TSA. As far as the FAA/DHS is concerned, this is your "initial airmens certificate" so you'll have to jump through the TSA hoop.

ahwalk01
3rd Mar 2015, 16:39
Remember, any training for any rating needs a visa, don't fall foul of the CBP.

Pleasure flying OTOH you're fine as a tourist and plenty get a piggyback license for this.