PDA

View Full Version : Another PPL RT question

Evo7
6th Jun 2002, 09:30
I'm just getting ready for the RT exams, and I'm trying to figure out what I need to know. GID35 (requirements for a FRTOL) part 4 gives a good list, but includes 'VDF procedures and terminology' under the 'en route procedures' - this is confusing me.... :)

In CAP413 there is a section on Direction Finding (Chapter 7 page 10), which includes QDR/QDM/True Bearing calls and the meaning of Class A/B/etc., but there is also a section called 'VDF procedure' (Chapter 7 pages 12-17) which is

a procedure whereby a pilot requests a series of QDMs to home to a VDF station .... to carry out a prescribed VDF Instrument Approach procedure ...

Is this required for the PPL exam? The procedure seems non-trivial and instrument-based (so non-PPL?), but it does appear to be specifically required in GID35 :confused:

Anyone done the RT exams recently and know if you need it....?

FlyingForFun
6th Jun 2002, 09:34
I would imagine that, if you could find anyone willing to give you a VDF procedure, it would be "non-trivial" to fly. But the radio part of it shouldn't be - you just request several QDMs, a couple of minutes apart. If you understand how to ask for and use a QDM, I wouldn't worry about it mate!

FFF
---------------

GoneWest
6th Jun 2002, 14:25
EVO...there is NO VDF approach procedure required on the R/T test.

You will need to call "Homer" for a bearing of one type or another - but not an approach procedure.

Evo7
6th Jun 2002, 17:54
Cheers chaps - and bl**dy hell, FFF, a whole 4 minutes after I asked ... that's what I call service :)

AerBabe
6th Jun 2002, 18:05
QDM is fairly easy to fly. We practise them here as part of training because Coventry are happy to provide them! If ever you need one, address the station as "xxx Homer" so they can immediately start looking for you on their screens. This saves them having to ask you to transmit again for example. Then, as FFF says, ask for a repeat QDM with increasing frequency as you get closer to them (as the wind will have more relative effect on your track).
Easy! :)

HelenD
6th Jun 2002, 18:20
You will be expected to ask for a VDF in your oral test and the examiner is expecting you to ask for a true bearing. Once given the bearing and class you just repeat it. The oral test is OK but nerve wracking just remember to tell them where you are going to.

Wrong Stuff
6th Jun 2002, 20:17
Or do as I did - take your examiner by surprise and ask for a QDM - not what they're expecting and it doesn't specify in the instructions that it has to be either true or bearing from. There was certainly a pause before the response came back.

Perfectly valid as well - indeed given the proximity to a magnetic-aligned VOR rose on the "chart" used for the test I thought it quite sensible!

Wrong Stuff

[Edited to say...]
Oops - just noticed my examiner was an earlier poster in this thread. Passes can't be rescinded can they??