PDA

View Full Version : UHPP as an alternate airport with CB in forecast

JammedStab
14th Feb 2015, 20:06
This airport is ideally situated as an alternate for north pacific crossing. Aside from high terrain, I have notice something very unusual about this airport.

Every time, not most of the time but every time I check the forecast for this airport, it has CB in the forecast. Even when it is -20 and all through the winter it shows a forecast for CB.

Does anyone with experience operating there know why this would be. Do the Russians have a different definition of what a CB cloud is?

galaxy flyer
14th Feb 2015, 20:44
Certainly not a TRW, My experience is the Russian met guys make the most dire predictions so, if they're wrong, they won't be blamed for good weather.

Amadis of Gaul
15th Feb 2015, 09:58
I suspect GalaxyFlyer is onto something here.

despegue
15th Feb 2015, 17:07
Think about it... CB activity in these temps will not be of such severity to prevent a landing or major delay, so yes there might be CB mentioned in the METAR/TAF, but the implication will not make this aerodrome unsuitable for diversion.

MarkerInbound
15th Feb 2015, 19:52
CAVOK OCNL WOXOF and be done with it. I know it's old but it's better than 0sm FG VV0.

redsnail
15th Feb 2015, 21:29
I've seen fog and thunderstorms in the same forecast in Moscow....

Denti
16th Feb 2015, 16:08
Yup, as galaxy flyer wrote they pretty much always put CBs in their forecast, at least for those airports we use for scheduled airline ops in russia. Moscow area airports are certainly not an exception from that rule.

Charliedontsurf_83
19th Feb 2015, 20:11
According to our SOP (and yes we are Moscow based airline operated under russian AOC) horizontal visibility and ceiling is what makes airport unsuitable, significant weather such as CB in TAF should be taken into account, but technically speaking it does not limit you in any significant way while planning your flight.

BTW it is exactly the same reason why you can't really plan anything etops-wise in Russia or in KZ. Guys who are responsible for forecast put pretty much every BS into a TAF just to not to be blamed for wrong predictions, as galaxy flyer stated. 100m visibility or OVC005 for a whole TAF taf period of validity is not uncommon, so it leaves you with virtually no choices while planning alternates somewhere in Siberia.