PDA

View Full Version : CPL X-Country's

pil
5th Jun 2002, 20:36
Evening all,

I'm hoping to get some suggestions for a CPL qualifying XCountry flight. Flying from somewhere out of north east london and hopefully returning there a few hours later :p
Any suggestions are welcome, even the 'head soak go' type.

BTW; does anyway know where the 300 nm that's quoted by the CAA is as the crow flies or actual distance travelled? If so would 100 or so circuits count :rolleyes:

Skycop
5th Jun 2002, 21:25
You could get a loop of string 300nm long and arrange it in a suitably eye-catching fashion on your chart.

Kemble, Wolverhamton, Netherthorpe, home should just about do it. Wellesbourne Mountford would make a nice alternative on the northbound part, especially as a good crew feeder would be an essential part of your pre-flight planning!

Regarding your question on crows flying - do you normally weave about a lot? :D

Good luck wherever you go!

matspart3
5th Jun 2002, 21:52
Doesn't it need to be a Licensed airfield for the 'grant or renewal of a licence or rating'?...if it does, that rules Kemble out because it's unlicensed.
Gloucester is the obvious alternative in that part of the world (I'll buy the tea!!). From there you go whichever way you like, Shoreham, Bournemouth, Exeter, Tatenhill, Leicester, Cambridge...just get your wiggly bit of string out!:)

eyeinthesky
6th Jun 2002, 15:15
Why don't you use it as a chance to go foreign? There are many airfields such as Ostend, Rotterdam, Teuge, L2K, Deauville and even Le Bourget within reach and which could be combined into a 300-mile trip. Failing that, Cardiff-Shobdon and back from NE London are over 300nm.

I think the distance takes reasonable account of route flown. (e.g Stapleford-Southampton would take account of going around the Heathrow zone, but saying Stapleford-Cambridge via Norwich and Birmingham without landing might be difficult to prove..):p