PDA

View Full Version : BMA Viscount Pilots

airsmiles
5th Jun 2002, 19:32
This is a real long-shot but here goes.

I have many entries in my passenger flying log-book, but I haven't got any details for my first flights in April 1972. These were Sun 2 April 1972 Bournemouth-Hurn to Jersey and Sun 9 April 1972 Jersey to Bournemouth-Hurn. The outbound flight should have seen t/o at about 4pm, but there was a weather related delay which meant that t/o was delayed until about 8pm. From memory there were 2 or 3 BMA Viscounts in operation that day, all of which arrived more or less together at Hurn when the weather lifted. I think our flight was the last out that night. The return flight on 9 April was a normal scheduled flight which left Jersey at about midday.

If any previous BMA Viscount pilot still has details of these flights I would be extremely grateful if some basic details could be forwarded. (i.e. flight numbers, flight times, a/c involved)

Incidentally, this was at a time when Channel Airways had just gone in receivership and BMA stepped in at short notice. I think BMA had just purchased 7 Viscounts from South African Airways, so presumably had the spare capacity to do it. In the event the route licence was awarded to Dan-air who operated the route for many years with HS748's.

Apologies to all if this is the incorrect forum for this enquiry.

Corporal Jones
7th Jun 2002, 14:03
Hi there,

I happen to know a current BMA ex Viscount Captain, so I will make some enquiries and who knows.....

TTFN

airsmiles
8th Jun 2002, 19:43
Thanks Corporal Jones.

I did try to post my enquiry on the BMA forum but I couldn't get access. Apparently you need an ICQ no.

TeeS
9th Jun 2002, 07:22
I will pass this on to my old man who was flying them at the time.

TeeS
16th Jun 2002, 10:41
Sorry, no joy from the old man. Does not know where his log books for the period are. (I suspect he had got bored keeping them up to date by that time!!!)

MaximumPete
16th Jun 2002, 11:07
Not me either.

I was off on the 2nd and flying Southend - Jersey - Southend on the 9th.

MP

airsmiles
18th Jun 2002, 18:21
No problems - you can't expect miracles after 30 years!

Thanks for trying.