PDA

View Full Version : B737-300 Classic inadvertent reverse thrust operation

Centaurus
11th Feb 2015, 11:40
If an inadvertent thrust reversal should happen either airborne or on the ground, it is my understanding the the relevant thrust lever automatically closes to idle. The FCOM or QRH makes no specific mention of this fact. Can anyone recall in which document to find this technical information?

despegue
11th Feb 2015, 14:07
We did an reverser unlocked excercise last sim. Just after rotation.
You had to cut off the fuel immediately, or else you were not able to control the aircaft.

I did not see any thrust lever go to idle automatically.

We then did another excercise with reverser unlocked inflight and the other engine with a thrust lever stuck at 85% N1.

Now THAT is a challenge to get it on a runway again:}
( went through the landing gear myself:O)

Jwscud
11th Feb 2015, 14:19
I don't fly the Classic, but have had this discussion for the NG. The EEC in the NG limits thrust to idle with no thrust lever movement in the event of an inadvertent deployment.

The only place in the documentation I could find this is the QRH Checklist for reverser unsafe.

Johnny F@rt Pants
11th Feb 2015, 15:56
Both 737-300 sims that I have done this exercise in have immediately idled the relevant thrust reverser, and there it is stuck, you cannot move it even if you wanted to.

This is a mod that was installed any moons ago after an aircraft, (I'm wanting to say Hapag Lloyd but I might be wrong) had a thrust reverser deploy in flight. It was developed to prevent the uncontrollable roll that occurs unless you spot what has malfunctioned quickly enough and cut the fuel off.

As for a reference, I'm afraid I can't point you to one, sorry.

AngioJet
11th Feb 2015, 19:27
Lauda Air Flight 004 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauda_Air_Flight_004)

Although a 767, it was caused by in-flight deployment of the thrust reverser.