PDA

View Full Version : Batteries

ericferret
2nd Feb 2015, 12:34
Over the years we have had good service from our aircraft batteries Gill G 25.
However the last two have struggled to make two years and the days when they were £40 each are long gone. Our charging system works fine and there is no leak to earth.
How are they performing for other users? I am replacing the Gill with a Concorde, dearer but I seem to have little choice. Hopefully it will give me more than two years.

ChickenHouse
2nd Feb 2015, 13:58
Gill appears to struggle with some quality issues. If you are lucky, you get a good battery, but if you are out of luck, you might fetch a bad one. Odds are uncertain, but I had a real good one for many many years, had to replace it and got a bad one which only lasted less then two years. As I was uncertain on the alternatives I again got a G-25 and this is a good one, now serving for two years without issue. Heard of many switching to Concorde, but did not hear long time experience up to now, so please keep us posted.

Rod1
2nd Feb 2015, 15:02
ericferret I assume you are putting this in a C of A aircraft?

Rod1

S-Works
2nd Feb 2015, 15:12
I have a Gill thats knackered after only a couple of years in my Cessna. No longer holding charge.

rgsaero
2nd Feb 2015, 16:54
I have just disposed of my share in (and Trustee status of) an aircraft after 22 years; we had the above named battery for many years but the last one never held charge after about 18 months.

Our maintenance organisation has a room full of them, all less than three years old and will only fit Concorde batteries now, having had a host of warranty battles (many unsuccessful) with the battery maker under discussion.

Meanwhile Concorde has a new system for preventing the plates warping and thus shorting out I believe, which our people recommend.

ericferret
2nd Feb 2015, 17:02
BOSE-X
Ditto

That more or less sum up my experience, thanks gents. At least it's not just me.

Croqueteer
3rd Feb 2015, 07:39
:)Been using a Honda Goldwing motor bike battery for 5 years with a C90 giving faultless performance.

Rod1
3rd Feb 2015, 07:57
I use Red Top 8 or Odyssey 8. Much lighter than the certified rubbish and more cranking power. Normally replace them after 5 years (last one was around £100).

Rod1

Crash one
3rd Feb 2015, 11:41
Croqueteer Been using a Honda Goldwing motor bike battery for 5 years with a C90 giving faultless performance.

Been using Halfords for 4 years, Cont C90. No problems.

VictorGolf
3rd Feb 2015, 11:50
2 years? You're lucky , my last one did 12 months! Oh to be on a permit.