PDA

View Full Version : Emirates accommodation.

michaela74
30th Jan 2015, 10:26
Just about to send off my application to Emirates then someone sent me pictures of the meydan accommodation. Can't say I was too impressed. Questions:
1. After a while if you opt out and buy a property in dubai can you use your allowance to cover the mortgage?
2. With 1500 hours A330 and 8000 hours total, what fleet could I expect and what is the latest time to command?
Cheers. :ok:

fatbus
30th Jan 2015, 10:40
Yes you can opt out at any time. More than likely 380 and upgrades at the moment @6 years . New hires will need attrition to continue for upgrades. Only about 40 to 50 additional AC to be added in the next 5 years.

my salami
30th Jan 2015, 10:41
Hi Michaela,
Be very aware the Meydan pictures look better than the real house....:yuk::yuk:
To answer your queries,
1) Yes,although you should be ready to cough up 20-30% upfront...
2) Most likely A380
Hope that helps...
Now be ready for incoming :mad::mad: comments..

M.S

SOPS
30th Jan 2015, 10:44
I'm not saying a word.

donpizmeov
30th Jan 2015, 10:51
3000hrs airbus FBW time needed for direct onto the 380. So if only 1500hrs it would be the 330 regardless of your total.

ChillinInTheDesert
30th Jan 2015, 12:08
Hmm, buying a property here requires a whole new thread. Not as easy as one would think. Not only should you think very carefully about coming here, you need to think even more carefully about buying here. Do a lot of research on buying property here and the laws that accompany that.

fatbus
30th Jan 2015, 15:41
1500 FBW for the the 380

Praise Jebus
30th Jan 2015, 16:11
The allowance is not assured and in the past has been denied. To some extent it depends on the supply/demand for company accommodation. Can anyone confirm if recent joiners to Meydan have later received the allowance?

Pixy
30th Jan 2015, 18:22
Michaela

If you think the accommodation allowance will be available in 5 years time, let alone the duration of a mortgage then I have a bridge to sell you.
What do you think the Meydan “Projects” are all about?

The idea is to build cheap accommodation so they don’t have to pay millions in accommodation allowance. The build cost of each Meydan unit is less than the yearly allowance for a captain. And they get to keep the property.
On top of this they simplify the accommodation department’s workload, transport requirements, hours of administration with other landlords, distribution of allowances etc.

Once they have build thousands of units, (which are well on their way) they will offer anyone who is out of company accommodation a unit. If they don’t want it they will be told they can fend for themselves and there will be successive cuts in the accommodation allowance or they will simply withdraw it.

At the very least it will not be offered to new joiners in the very near future.
Don’t do your financial planning with the accommodation allowance factored in. That would be folly indeed!

After all, if you view it from their perspective, they are simply going to do what you plan to do: Pay for their cheap building with the accommodation allowance they were going to give you!

Desdihold
30th Jan 2015, 22:43
I agree with jebus and pixy,
Do not (literally) bank on the accomadtion allowance. The company has a legal obligation to pro vide accomadtion to its employees, it does not have the legal obligation to pay for an employees mortgage.

Also, big changes are coming to our pay structure and flying hours and they will not benefit the pilots or their families.

Dirigible
31st Jan 2015, 02:13
Would you care to elaborate Desdi?

Desdihold
31st Jan 2015, 03:30
I hope a close friend in the office is wrong, he was briefed on some of what is coming down the line and was shocked.
The guy doesn't BS.

He did not want to go into detail but it involves giving with one hand (a small pay increase in a few months) and then increasing hours and reducing days off a few months later.

The company wants to open new routes but we do not have the pilots for them, plus that requirement to have an augmenting pilot on someof the night turns reduces the number of available pilots.

This warrants a separate thread.

ChillinInTheDesert
31st Jan 2015, 03:33
Spot on Pixy.

SOPS
31st Jan 2015, 07:03
The question is Desdi, just how many more hours do they think it is possible for people to fly?

glofish
31st Jan 2015, 07:33
No. The question is, how many more days and hours productivity and how many less days off and leave will they be able to have the GCAA swallow.

People have never been a concern to companies in this region.
It's only greed.

fatbus
31st Jan 2015, 07:46
Feb 3 ULR's, productivity,16 off days, don't care how the hr are calculated it's still extra cash . Can't swap but don't care.just do the job and enjoy the time off.

Mrs Mangels
31st Jan 2015, 07:51
With regards to Pixy's very astute post, don't think it can't happen. Look at CX A vs B vs C vs D scales, and that's with some sort of union protection! I fear that there will be no "Grandfather" clause, it will be one foul swipe of the pen and we're all on D scale. It will come as an update of the employee regulations manual, which we get often, and is definitely worth a read!!!

theidler
31st Jan 2015, 07:57
Feb 3 ULR's, productivity,16 off days, don't care how the hr are calculated it's still extra cash . Can't swap but don't care.just do the job and enjoy the time off.

Enjoy it while you can. This time next year expect 3 turnarounds within those 16 off days and to be paid less for it too.

fatbus
31st Jan 2015, 08:42
Don't think so or should I say I know so!

theidler
31st Jan 2015, 08:51
Exit strategy in place then I guess.

jack schidt
1st Feb 2015, 15:16
Lates Rumours (to become fact)?

When enough of the 2200 Meydan South villas are built and the already 500 (+ others) at Meydan Heights, then the company will change its current strategy for future cost savings.

It is not a right of yours that the company pays your mortgage with the living out allowance and you will be offered a villa as the living out allowances will be scrapped in the future. Should you wish to continue to live out and purchase a property then as per the normal world, you will have to finance that mortgage burden from your own salary.

There will become a park and ride service near the Meyday Camps and those living out will have to drive to the parking area where a shuttle bus service will run the flight crews into EGHQ.

Do not think that this is not in the peipeline, prepare accordingly.

Jack

White Knight
1st Feb 2015, 15:51
I doubt the Park n Ride theory... After all that effort to get us into 'world class uniforms' and look like a crowd of clones I don't see Corp Comms wanting us packed into busses like we're on our way to the building site!!! What would the general public think? Shock horror...........

Eau de Boeing
1st Feb 2015, 16:00
Also, the latest rumour from Meydan North is that people are going to be shifted down to Meydan South once the place is up and running.

Apparently the numerous problems with the villas and particularly drainage have been caused by the contractor taking an amount for each villa and then only spending 65% of that on the actual place, cutting corners left, ****e and centre and pocketing the rest.

Have to admit that it's almost funny to see someone else take the p*ss out of EK if it's true.:E

Now back to Blot, Bang, Rub........

Schnowzer
1st Feb 2015, 16:03
A thread that perfectly fits the title of the site, rumour. The 2200 villas will be swallowed up by newbies in the time they are built. Hours, days off, etc etc, it still won't scare away the new hires. You need new fodder, canning the housing allowance would be bad for Dubai PLC and I suspect lead to widespread departures.

jack schidt
1st Feb 2015, 16:24
The closeness of the villas at MH is very welcoming for a fire to rip through the lot of them, just as well no street there is called "Pudding Lane".

Talking about fire in the MH houses, there is ONLY access via the front door, otherwise via the 10ft wall surrounding the pet poop parlour out the back. Should a fire occur at the front of the house I do hope you keep a ladder out the back in the box/yard.

ChillinInTheDesert
1st Feb 2015, 16:44
Meydan South? Are they the ones currently under construction on the corner of Al Ain Rd and Sheikh Mohammad Rd?

JAARule
1st Feb 2015, 20:46
There will become a park and ride service near the Meyday Camps and those living out will have to drive to the parking area where a shuttle bus service will run the flight crews into EGHQ.
A bus every ten minutes - perfect. Which bus should one take to arrive at the HQ exactly one legal hour before departure instead of 1:45?

It'll never happen because management are not that stupid, are they? ARE they? No, surely they're not THAT stupid.

Saltaire
2nd Feb 2015, 10:23
A little fear mongering here. The housing allowance will not change. Existing mortgages, contracts etc. not to mention they have all the locals relying on that benefit. It will stay. Relax.

Meydan South sounds like how it should have been built in the first place without rushing and going on the ridiculous cheap with Meydan heights. I think Meydan South will be reasonable in 3 years, much like Silicon Cedar. Would I want to live next to 2000 other colleagues is a different question. :confused:

TangoUniform
2nd Feb 2015, 11:41
Salts,
Remember a few years back they stopped the allowance for those that wanted to opt out. You had to provide documentation in order to maintain your allowence if your were under a lease or mortgage. Never made an announcement to that and then rescinded it a year or so later without an announcement. So don't hold your breath thinking it won't change. It has in the past and very likely could in the future.

Kammel
2nd Feb 2015, 13:21
Have they started to build the "new" Meydan compound yet? Is it really going to be different than our current one?

Saltaire
2nd Feb 2015, 16:18
That was during the "crisis" maybe? If you have a lease agreement and or a mortgage to pay - you're entitled to the full allowance. I don't see that as an issue.

TangoUniform
2nd Feb 2015, 16:41
Issue? Let's see. New joiners maybe..no allowance. Lease expires..back in EK housing. Have a mortgage based on today's allowance. ..maybe reduced. Perhaps documentation on exactly what one's payments are; no extra coin for you. Just some thoughts reflecting how things have changed in the past. So possibly might be an issue or two.

BigGeordie
2nd Feb 2015, 16:54
The accommodation allowance isn't part of our contract so they can change it whenever they like. For a lot of people being forced into company housing would be a deal breaker- it certainly would have stopped me accepting the offer so it would have a detrimental effect on recruitment- probably retention as well.

Also, if 25,000 pilots and cabin crew could no longer get mortgages it would have a detrimental effect on the Dubai housing market.

For those two reasons I can't see it disappearing anytime soon.

tom330
5th Feb 2015, 11:36
One of my good training captains on the 330 is moving to the 380. All the locals are being given the T7's and little buses.

harry the cod
5th Feb 2015, 17:51
Not sure how that's related to housing but as you mentioned the different fleets.....

All remaining command courses with T7 transfers now cancelled. Less than half of the expected 70 now going to the A380 due to supply and demand on the triple. Around 30, or just under, have transferred which leaves 40 short. Should make for an interesting year as the pain is now going to be shared.

April may also bring some less than favourable news for the 'super' pilots in the shape of a less than desirable destination. :E

.....now, back to the thread!

Harry

Noleave
5th Feb 2015, 18:08
Harry the Cod, with regards to your statement that the courses have been cancelled. Is this rumour or fact. And if fact has this occurred after leave has been allocated. I ask, as from a rather selfish point of view I am wondering whether this may open up more leave on the 777.

harry the cod
5th Feb 2015, 18:58
It's 100% fact. As for your leave, that's something you'll have to take up with the relevant dept. Good luck with that! :hmm:

Harry

Emma Royds
5th Feb 2015, 22:49
All remaining command courses with T7 transfers now cancelled. Less than half of the expected 70 now going to the A380 due to supply and demand on the triple.

I wonder if the ex AF 77F airframes have anything to do with it. I heard the two currently in service plus the three on order are coming our way.

Cloud Bunny
6th Feb 2015, 02:38
Excuse the potential daft question, put it down to late night arrival and an early jet lagged wake up but are we talking about command courses for 777 Captains transferring to the A380 or 777 F/Os upgrading to Captain?

jack schidt
6th Feb 2015, 04:45
With some 777 skippers not coming to the A380, Super FO's get ready for a lowering of hours for command requirement on the A380, I would say sooner than you might want.......GET READING AND READY!!

Let's stop the thread creep with this line of chat......

j

Overtimer997
11th Feb 2015, 10:02
Can anybody tell us where Maydan part 2 is located exactly.
Any info on completion time etc would be appreciated.

Schnowzer
11th Feb 2015, 10:20
Just past Jupiter in the Asteroid belt! Here you go:oh:

Dubizzle Dubai | Villa/House for Sale: Meydan, Millennium Estates, Phase 2, 5bedroom+maid+driver+family Villa, Type A, on the Park (http://dubai.dubizzle.com/property-for-sale/residential/villahouse/2015/1/12/meydan-millennium-estates-phase-2-5bedroom-2/)

White Knight
11th Feb 2015, 10:24
Meydan Part 2 or Meydan South as it is named is in the southwest patch of ground where Emirates Rd (Sheikh Mohammed road now I guess) and the Al Ain Rd meet...

Semi detached villas, fairly decent spread of land between most of them.

Overtimer997
11th Feb 2015, 10:29
Many thanks,

Any idea when they will be ready for pilots?

fatbus
11th Feb 2015, 11:26
End of jun at the earlist. No new hires going there until Meydan Heights are filled. still about 250 there. There is also most of the DIC guys going to Meydan South first .

Meydan Millennium Estates is not Meydan South ( where EK pilots are going)

Schnowzer
11th Feb 2015, 11:58
FB, really? A quick google search provided exactly the information he sought bar completion time, which is moot at best anyway, so I thought a bit of irony wouldn't go amiss.

Meydan to build Emirates Airline pilots’ village | The National (http://www.thenational.ae/business/property/meydan-to-build-emirates-airline-pilots-village)

The location is at the bottom of this picture next to the freeway:

http://oi40.tinypic.com/zjj5hd.jpg

Points to note:
- Semi-detached = terraced row of back to back cells
- District 11 wasn't flattened in the Hunger Games
- District 9 doesn't have aliens
- No you won't be getting a 10M dirham vilas

fatbus
11th Feb 2015, 12:17
You actually think Google earth is updated.
Have you been out to Meydan South? I have. Managed to get in before the restricted access . End of June might be a stretch . But those in DIC have been given notice that if they choose Meydan South their leases will be extended until Meydan South is complete .

uba737
11th Feb 2015, 12:24
Are the houses in Meyden south any better than the current ones we hear so much about?

Mr Good Cat
11th Feb 2015, 15:34
Yes, the upstairs toilets have been certified after thorough testing with half a pound of mashed up Dundee cake.

chmila
2nd Mar 2015, 13:27
How many of Villas are there (Meydan no. 1)r. If still 250 to go.

How long does it take to fill it up?

FL3
3rd Mar 2015, 06:22
Hi michaela74,

Regarding your question. It's in the emirates group careers website.

Requirements for the Position of First Officer A380

- 2500 hours multi-crew, multi-engine jet with MTOW 50+ tonnes which must include 1500 hours and current on modern fly by wire Airbus aircraft
- Full ICAO ATPL
- Unrestricted Class 1 Medical

But just a headsup...they will place you where they need. No matter what you have been flying or you are rated at the moment. Many guys with several thousand hours on B737, were placed on the A330...

Feather44
14th Mar 2015, 06:54
Hi guys,

How do they calculate the accomodation allowance? Is it a fix amount or related to your rank, marital status, kidds etc...

How much would it be for a single f/o?

FL3
14th Mar 2015, 17:04
160K/year for F/O.

Mach_Krit
14th Mar 2015, 21:07
Actually 172k per year since last years review

Capt Groper
14th Apr 2016, 07:09
http://youtu.be/pf5ieRTMHxE

speedbirdhopeful1
14th Apr 2016, 08:02
I guess they'll have to re-make this video. Most of the locations are no more, and definitely no back yards big enough to 'kick some footie' any longer.

http://youtu.be/vCODcbJ6UnU

RoyalEnfield
14th Apr 2016, 15:08
Meydan Part 2 or Meydan South as it is named is in the southwest patch of ground where Emirates Rd (Sheikh Mohammed road now I guess) and the Al Ain Rd meet...

Semi detached villas, fairly decent spread of land between most of them.
WK, do they fix the big height difference between the living room and the backyard before you move in or is it up to you? Seems like it's a big fall waiting to happen as one steps out.

fatbus
14th Apr 2016, 15:52
All depends on what you do to the garden, many variations

RoyalEnfield
29th Jun 2016, 13:56
Can anyone in Meydan South recommend a landscaper? I just moved in and I'm sick of all that sand already. And while we are at it, any recommendations on where to shop for curtains? They are bloody expensive!

stable_checked
30th Jun 2016, 07:18
Can you take the allowance and rent you own property, possibly share with another single pilot and save more money?

bia botal
30th Jun 2016, 09:45
RoyalEnfield, check your PM

Am NOT Sure
30th Jun 2016, 22:15
Stable

Go to the Ek buy and sell Facebook page and look for one of the 100 cabin crew add for room/bed free

After all why share an apartment when u can share a room in an apartment and save even more ?

Slash787
3rd Jul 2016, 23:50
Yeah well I never thought of sharing an apartment or a room with another crew, but it depends.

I heard back in the day there were lots of parties and crazy **** going on with the cabin crew. I just want to be in peace.

I know once you move out from the company's accommodation then you can never move back in, but what if I get my own apartment or share it with someone and then later on can I tell them that I want their accommodation?

Is that possible or they want an answer when you join regarding the accommodation?

delorean79
5th Jul 2016, 11:10
The less you deal with the Department of NO, the better.

BigGeordie
5th Jul 2016, 11:47
If you don't take the company housing when you join you can never take it. My advice is to start off in company accommodation while you get to know the city and decide where you want to live. Then move out.

DCS99
9th Jul 2016, 02:52
If you don't take the company housing when you join you can never take it. My advice is to start off in company accommodation while you get to know the city and decide where you want to live. Then move out.

This worked for us. We now deal with an Egyptian landlord with a penchant for Swiss chocolates that has saved us several 000 in rent as we increase his massive girth at rent renewal time. Bid for ZRH or GVA and go to a Denner Supermarket.

It's not a perfect relationship but preferable to dealing with the "professionals" in HQ.
I have reliable stories that the HQ gang don't even know what properties are empty.

Buying is also possible with the Allowance. We weren't brave/clever/stupid enough to do that.

givemewings
12th Jul 2016, 15:27
the Department of NO

hahaha one of you leaving, PLEASE paper over their departmental sign with a homemade one saying this!! Gold :}

harry the cod
21st Jul 2016, 07:10
You don't need a mortgage. If you decide not to take the accommodation, what you do with the money is up to you, Live on a boat, 6 bedroom mansion on the palm, studio in Satwa. That's the beauty of it.

Captain's allowance is circa 190K+, F/O's 175 thereabouts.

Harry

dhc8d
21st Jul 2016, 13:43
Hi
What a new f/o married with two kids can expect as accomodation provided by EK(size and neighbourhood)
Thanks.

ruserious
21st Jul 2016, 19:14
What a new f/o married with two kids can expect as accommodation provided by EK(size and neighbourhood)
Thanks.

If you are married with kids, almost certainly you will be put in Meydan Heights or if you are luckier Meydan South. 3 or 4 Bedroom villas, good size, but built to a price

dhc8d
21st Jul 2016, 22:51
ruserious
Thanks for the answer what about arabian ranches? Isbit a good location?

JAYTO
22nd Jul 2016, 01:47
Arabian Ranches is not company accomodation. However you could take the allowance and rent/buy your own place there.

The Crew
22nd Jul 2016, 02:03
My impression is that the rental market rates are relatively high based on the price of buying that property , as a percentage return?

Seems so much building again in Dubai , cant think prices can do anything but decline in the next few years ?

Mape15
13th Nov 2016, 23:11
What we can expected? Where? Thanks

Mr Good Cat
14th Nov 2016, 10:59
What we can expected? Where? Thanks

Any apartment block that has a contract with EK.

You can give them your preferences but THEY will choose. Once allocated you would need to request a transfer and wait for your building of choice to become available...

Mape15
14th Nov 2016, 16:10
Any apartment block that has a contract with EK.

You can give them your preferences but THEY will choose. Once allocated you would need to request a transfer and wait for your building of choice to become available...

Thank you for your answe! Do you now some names of the blocks?

NISbus
22nd Nov 2016, 22:52
Using the allowance to buy an apartment was the real gold!
Anybody knows if it's guaranteed instead of the free housing itself please

Plane and simple
23rd Nov 2016, 00:15
Using the allowance to buy an apartment was the real gold!
Anybody knows if it's guaranteed instead of the free housing itself please

Oh dear. Another one with delusions that Dubai will make them rich.

fatbus
23rd Nov 2016, 05:05
I've just heard new hires moving into the 84s, WTF

natops
23rd Nov 2016, 08:30
84's? What/where is that?

donpizmeov
23rd Nov 2016, 08:32
84 Villas near interchange 2.

Mr Good Cat
23rd Nov 2016, 17:54
That will be a short stay before they are ripped up to make way for some expensive villas by the new waterway.

Still the same plan for everybody isn't it? Pilot's Village at Meydan. Better to get in there sooner than later and choose your plot. If you'll pardon the fatigue-themed pun....

felixthecat
28th Dec 2016, 15:01
At the moment you can have the allowance.
That could well change at the drop of a hat. The value of the allowance could also change just as easily.
Property is also expensive in Dubai. I would not count on the allowance long term

givemewings
29th Dec 2016, 07:02
Allowance has already been ceased for the CC last week. Only moving within coacc now.

They're also kicking out a bunch from one of the SZR buildings, apparently there is 'oversupply' of coacc yet there are CC still living for a month/2/3 in hotels?

Not sure what to make of it other than business as usual down in Acc dept I suppose

Trader
29th Dec 2016, 10:13
Also telling pilots now that they must wait a minimum of 6 months to move out of co. accommodation.

OzoneAddict
30th Dec 2016, 06:24
Also telling pilots now that they must wait a minimum of 6 months to move out of co. accommodation.
This is true. 6 months hold for operation reasons.

donpizmeov
30th Dec 2016, 08:32
Fellas the 6 months wait depends on where you are moving out of. It has been like this for ages. New joiners still taking the allowance on arrival. Some in company accommodation are getting it well before the 6 months.

fatbus
30th Dec 2016, 16:02
EK pilots love a good wind up!