PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire PK664 'lost' from RAF Museum

Trumpet_trousers
30th Jan 2015, 07:48
Seems incredible that, as the article states, it was let go before receiving the P-40. Also, the photo caption is wrong - PK664 is shown outside the Guardroom at RAF Binbrook, and not at the RAF Museum!

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/share/uuid/c22a9b12-a7c8-11e4-b1ea-fa9eb3a0e06e

November4
30th Jan 2015, 07:55
For those without a subscription, the Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/11377178/RAF-Museum-handed-over-Spitfire-in-ill-conceived-deal-for-WWII-aircraft-it-may-never-receive.html) is also reporting the story

Davef68
30th Jan 2015, 08:21
I do wonder if the sudden departure of the Director RAFM last year is related.

Bigt
30th Jan 2015, 10:15
Also reported in the Mail......came on here to see the facts!!!

mmitch
30th Jan 2015, 10:27
I and many others through our MPs tried to get official interest in searching for the pilots body. It was just about the time that violence had broken out in the area. There was a rush to recover the aircraft but little effort was made to find the pilot. The Italian team who originally found the wreck also found remains with parachute silk. They buried them and recorded the position.
Our MPs were supplied with the information that the bones had been examined and were not the pilot's. The Italians say they were never asked to supply the location! Not much chance now still the P40 was recovered....
mmitch.

Martin the Martian
30th Jan 2015, 13:18
The Mail say that PK664 is airworthy. Mm, don't think so, not for many years. They also make Kennet Aviation sound like Honest John's Used Cars, which is a great disservice. Saying that this Spitfire has been lost to the nation is a bit over the top as well.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
30th Jan 2015, 13:27
It would seem that the Museum doesn't consider itself bound by Government Financial and Material Accounting rules.

Good to see that the Telegraph showed an evocative and, no doubt, emotional picture of a MK 2 when the story is about a not very historic MK 22.

Davef68
30th Jan 2015, 13:33
The Mail say that PK664 is airworthy. Mm, don't think so, not for many years.

Last time I saw it, it was pinned to the wall of the Science Museum like a giant Airfix kit.

Tankertrashnav
31st Jan 2015, 15:57
Saying that this Spitfire has been lost to the nation is a bit over the top as well.

Quite agree. The aircraft is still in existence and I assume being looked after. It's no more lost to the nation than any of the aircraft at Duxford, Newark, St Mawgan or a dozen or more other aviation museums are.

Still, sounds like some pretty inept dealing on the part of RAFM.