PDA

View Full Version : Management Pilot Office Hours

slowto280
25th Jan 2015, 07:41
Where does it state how office time (management pilot hours spent in the office) is counted towards 7 day, 28 day, yearly duty time?

Also, is it written somewhere discussing what percentage of office / flight time / duty is required for management pilots? (this may vary country to country...) I have found 70 (office) / 30 (flight), but not in any official document.

I have searched to no avail. :ugh:

Denti
25th Jan 2015, 11:33
There is not all that much regulation about that stuff to be honest. You need a rest time before your flight duty. Office hours would not be considered a rest time so you can't have office hours in that rest time. However, there is the exception that office hours directly followed by a flight duty are of course possible, but the office hours are then considered flight duty time, which of course limits the extend of the following flight duty.

Outside of flight duty time and rest times there is no regulation about office hours except the usual local working time directives which as the minimum in EU countries have to follow the EU working time directive.

There might be regulations about that in local rules and/or CLAs. In my company office days will be planned with a blanket eight hours duty time (not flight duty though), no matter how long one has to work. I believe our CBT days are considered 12 hours duty though, to force a 14 hour rest time before we have the first simulator duty on the day after.

FlyingStone
25th Jan 2015, 11:42
Usually, office hours are considered duty (but not flight duty), so counts towards the weekly/monthly duty limits. Rest preceeding FDP should be as long as previous duty or 12 hours, whichever is more. So if you are in office for 4 hours, you still need to have 12 hours rest after finishing office duties before you can fly again.

Office work/flying hours ratio is usually defined in OM and very specific to each company and management position.

slowto280
25th Jan 2015, 12:24
Stone, so office time is counted one for one (1 hour office = 1 hour duty) then? Do you know if that is written anywhere - other than in some companies Operating Manual?

Denti - as you said, very little out there it seems.

Thanks much!

BizJetJock
25th Jan 2015, 16:08
ORO.OPS.FTL.105 Definitions:
‘Duty’ means any task that a crew member is required to perform by the operator, including flight duty, administrative work, training, positioning, and standby.
‘Duty period’ means a period which starts when a crew member is required by an operator to report for or to commence a duty and ends when that person is free from all duties.

These are the new regs, but all the old ones said the same somewhere. No idea why anyone would think that office time counted as any more or less than 1 to 1. Time on duty is time.

slowto280
26th Jan 2015, 06:14
Biz, thanks.

Pretty clear - Administrative Work - even think I looked at that doc while 'searching'. :confused: