PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Hampshire Area

Perfect PFL
4th Jun 2002, 16:08
Does anyone have any recommendations for a club to fly at in the Hampshire area?

I live in Farnborough, so am looking for somewhere in the area to fly occasionally - preferably somewhere which isn't very expensive.

I have a PPL(A) and about 160hours, so just looking for somewhere to be able to hire an aircraft out to do some hours to keep my licence current.

Thanks.

Courtman
4th Jun 2002, 16:56
Blackbushe would be a great place to start. I've flown in there a few times and seems a friendly place to go. Several clubs there as well, although I couldn't name any off the top of my head (something Flyers springs to mind, I'm sure someone will fill the blanks in).

:) :p :D ;) :)

distaff_beancounter
4th Jun 2002, 18:19
You could try, Blackbushe School of Flying Tel: 01252-870999

I think that Courtman was probably thinking of General Airlines Ltd T/A European Flyers, but that company went into liquidation. sometime last year. :(

Irv
4th Jun 2002, 18:36
You can consider Popham - reasonable prices for the central south. Grass, but doesn't get as waterlogged as some in winter, but can get busy as PPRUNER's found the other weekend.

bertiethebadger
5th Jun 2002, 09:42
There is also a school @ Fairoaks. Alternatively, Thruxton isn't that far away & is considerably cheaper.

If you are considering group flying, there are plenty @ Blackbushe & you shouldn't have to read the smallad's in the flying mags for too long to find one.

PhilD
6th Jun 2002, 17:19
If you want a small friendly club with good availability and reasonable rates try LTFC at Fairoaks.

BRL
7th Jun 2002, 00:37
Popham is a great place. Excellent atmosphere around the clubhouse, really nice place. If you go there, you are advised to look at this first...... Popham (http://www.higherplane.flyer.co.uk/pophamrentals.htm) Have fun..... :)

Ace Rimmer
7th Jun 2002, 07:09
Endorse BRL's Popham comments friendly place, funky finals etc. but here's another thought:
OK so its not really Hampshire and from F'boro you'd have to drive past Popham to get there, but what about Old Sarum? I was down there the other day to visit Littlest Sister Rimmer and found it a very welcoming place (xtra thanks to the folks in the flying club that lent LS Rimmer a headset BTW)

Reheat On
8th Jun 2002, 04:45
Old Sarum also have Bulldogs :)

Because of Boscombe and the southerly corridor access [a bit like Fairoaks] most of your local flying will gravitate out the south. But ther eis comparitively little controlled airspace.

Genghis the Engineer
8th Jun 2002, 08:33
As a fairly regular user of both Popham and OS, I'd have no hesitation in recommending either.

I do know that there's a fairly inexpensive flying club on the Farnborough site, although you presumably have to have some association with Qinetiq to join.

G

Evo7
8th Jun 2002, 09:50
Genghis - I'm ex-DERA (as it was then) Farnborough. Even as an employee it was hard to join the flying club. As you might imagine, the 'inexpensive' aspect was quite an attraction :(

Circuit Basher
10th Jun 2002, 07:25
As a current employee of the Big 'Q', I can give anyone who feels that they may qualify contact details for the Bustard Flying Club at Boscombe. I am also involved with the Scottish Civil Service Flying Club at Perth.