PDA

View Full Version : Plane leaves runway Inverness

scr1
19th Jan 2015, 11:17
BBC News - Plane comes off runway at Inverness Airport (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-30877788)

not much info

Betablockeruk
19th Jan 2015, 11:23
Seems BE202/G-JEDM hit some black ice.

V12
19th Jan 2015, 13:15
Beta blocker: so where do you draw that idea from?
Based on any fact from the scene?

CharlieOneSix
19th Jan 2015, 14:26
From the Inverness Courier:

A spokesman for Flybe said: “We can confirm that, when taxiing at low speed at the end of the runway having landed safely at Inverness Airport this morning, the wheels of the Q400 aircraft skidded on the surface of the airfield causing it to slide onto the grass.

maxred
19th Jan 2015, 14:52
METAR: EGPE 190920Z 22004KT CAVOK M02/M06 Q1012:confused:......haarumph

mad_jock
19th Jan 2015, 15:12
Have they just repainted the piano keys?

Whats the state of the rubber deposits?

parkfell
20th Jan 2015, 07:45
Might this be a similar winter event to a Ryanair a few years ago ending up on the grass at PIK
whilst at "taxi speed" following an uneventful landing?

JW411
20th Jan 2015, 16:45
You haven't lived until you have hit an unexpected and unannounced patch of 0.05. (There is actually no such thing as Nil Braking Action - there is always some retardation - hence the 0.05).

The closest that I ever came to going aux vaches was one night at JFK. We were over the grass at the end of 31R but luckily the nosewheel was still (just) on the tarmac.

On another occasion, I landed at NUE one night in a snow storm off a CAT II approach just a few minutes after a 727 who had landed without a problem. The BA was given as 0.26 which was fine for us but it wasn't. We had about 100 feet to spare at the end of the runway. The moral to that story is that a BA is only good at the time the man takes the reading with his Mu meter. Two minutes later, it can be totally different.

I'm not sure how many airlfields nowadays give accurate readings for the taxiways. I landed happily at GOT one night with no problem but we started Scottish country dancing on the rather large ramp taxiing in. I think we were doing an eightsome reel when I finally manage to stop further proceedings.

frieghtdog2000
20th Jan 2015, 16:55
I remember taxiing in at FRA behind a LH B747 after landing in light freezing rain. Watched him sliding gently towards the side of the taxi-way and seeing all 4 thrust reversers deploy. This was shortly followed by the ATC controller asking him to expedite. The remaining conversation from the flight deck was in German which I do not speak - however I understood immediately what was being said!

Loggerheads
20th Jan 2015, 22:28
Given the screeching from the tyres as they tried to hold the taxiway I doubt this was due to ice.

Leg
22nd Jan 2015, 01:15
Given the screeching from the tyres as they tried to hold the taxiway I doubt this was due to ice.

Poppycock :=

Loggerheads
22nd Jan 2015, 07:06
Leg, I think you'll find that a vehicle sliding on ice has a different motion to one with friction between tyres and surface and tends not to have side forces sufficient to cause screeching. I'll stick with my opinion based on what I saw and heard.

mad_jock
22nd Jan 2015, 11:08
Cars don't have castering front tyres which can get jammed 90 deg to the direction of travel.

The CVR/fdr will tell all anyway. They have 3D accelerometers in them so they will be able to model what happened no problem.

So its really not worth anyone getting their knickers in a twist about.

Loggerheads
9th Apr 2015, 10:32
Poppycock

Seems my assessment wasn't poppycock after all, Leg.

report (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/publications/bulletins/april_2015/dhc_8_402_dash_8__g_jedm.cfm)

Nightstop
10th Apr 2015, 12:07
29kts in a 90 degree turn :=

Phileas Fogg
10th Apr 2015, 12:44
At Lyneham when the MU Meter might have been kaput we would test the braking action by hitting the Landrover brakes at speed ... Fortunately I had taken skidpan training as part of my driving course at St. Athan :)

FLCH
10th Apr 2015, 13:11
So its really not worth anyone getting their knickers in a twist about.

Aww c'mon thats half the fun of Pprune watching the fight between who's right and not !

Basil
10th Apr 2015, 13:17
we would test the braking action by hitting the Landrover brakes at speed ...

Recollect, also at Inverness one night, when Land Rover skidded into blade of snowplough, captain broke thumb, flight cancelled.

Skyjob
10th Apr 2015, 22:55
Flight Data Recorder indicated that there was minimal braking
action applied during the landing roll
Make of that statement what you will...