PDA

View Full Version : Emirates Alternative?

patthecat
5th Jan 2015, 14:34
Hey,

It seems like an awful lot of folks are unhappy with life at the Middle Eastern carriers like Emirates...

Take a look at the list of airlines currently hiring B777 Commanders and FOs below - some of whom offer decent commuting contracts.

British airways
Turkish
EVA Air
Korean Air
Vietnam Airlines
China Southern
Air China Cargo

I am sure there are more but these are only the ones I have spotted in the last few weeks. Good luck to all of you.

Kapitanleutnant
5th Jan 2015, 16:06
Don't forget Ethiopian Airlines as well.

20 on 10 off or… 25 on 12 off with a ticket home. That's 120 days vacation per year plus 12 ALT equivalents.

K

Chocks Away
5th Jan 2015, 18:59
*Saudia
*China Airlines
*Kenya Airways

Happy landings:ok:

The Dominican
5th Jan 2015, 22:50
A few guys from EK came to Air Japan, including one captain, that was a bit surprising to me I have to admit...!

Flying Mechanic
6th Jan 2015, 01:26
I am not surprised Dominican! I spent 3 years in Dubai, and I have a Japanese wife, would take Japanese life over the sandpit any time.

You rock
6th Jan 2015, 03:07
does anyone have the recruitment details for air china cargo or air china

254HEAVY
6th Jan 2015, 09:01
I don't think Kenya Airways is hiring at the moment.

Chocks Away
7th Jan 2015, 16:02
Yes, a strange one that one, Heavy. It runs hot and cold.
Must be "jogging on the spot" and ready right there, it seems.
There must be plenty of internal upgrades through their fleets, for the 773 and 787's still to come.
Locals must be jumping for joy :ok:
Happy Landings.

DonAlejandro
7th Jan 2015, 19:18
Ive been at EVA Air for 3.5 years. Commuting contract is a joke. It cant be considered a commutable contract at all. Only entitled to 8 days off in a row. You must commute on your time. Cannot start operating from any destination near your home country (unless you bribe the schedulers, which happens). Salary... HA! Gross $6400 USD pre-taxes. Taiwan taxes at around 18-20% tax rate. They give you housing, which is one of the only good benefits if you are single. But you can't live in the company building with a family. And if you live outside the building with your family, they offer only $800 USD per month as compensation.... Pilots are leaving left and right

fliion
7th Jan 2015, 19:48
Hainan HNA - have a banner on top of page - $348k net of taxes. Before I go trolling the Asia forum - anyone at EK/FD have scoop from buds on situ.

Thanks in advance

f.

TransitCheck
7th Jan 2015, 19:56
Fliion,

I have heard through the grapevine that there are 3-4 carriers only out of the many in china that are worth going to.

Hainan
China Southern
SF Cargo
China Airlines

That is in the order that was given to me. Also, I was told that you get fined for various things there such as not downloading your OFP on time or if you get struck by lightning. Still, I am interested to know more just as you are if anyone can shed more light.

fatbus
8th Jan 2015, 01:12
China Airlines in China?

fliion
8th Jan 2015, 06:44
Thanks Transit.

I think he meant Air China - they are hiring onto 777F at moment.

China Airlines is Taiwanese however that are also hiring CAPTs/FOs.

The last time HNA opened for hiring & $350 they shut it down after six weeks due enough applicants.

f.

ManaAdaSistem
8th Jan 2015, 06:57
The last time HNA opened for hiring & $350 they shut it down after six weeks due enough applicants.

Maybe so, but I have been swamped with emails from them for much longer than that. They even called me about a month ago.
I'm done with smoking on the flight deck, so not for me.

fatbus
8th Jan 2015, 07:08
The 348 k including all bonuses and allowances basis on 3 kids in schools in China. Not a commuting contract. Realistically 18-19 k a month ,commuting. More or less the same as CHina Southern.

Panther 88
8th Jan 2015, 12:05
Well one thing for sure at EK, it is in no way any sort of commuting contract. Eight days off in a row...that would be a dream for most EK pilots. Can't even get 8 days off in a row for leave sometimes.

Chinos
15th Jan 2015, 11:00
What airlines don't realise and/or not care about is that pilot life is all about 2 things and 2 things only:

1) Rostering (this includes destinations, day/night operations, days off and leave)

2) Money (this is about cost of living and whats left over for saving after all bills)

Other issues like ease of admin (ME carriers are big on this) or ticketing is nice, but not pivotal to happiness. Schools are important for folks with kids and school fees would play a role here. Housing is important too, but already covered in 2)

The days when airlines were run by pilots proved to be disastrous economically for the airlines. The days where airlines ARE run by accountants are disastrous for crew morale and attrition rates due the negligence of the 2 main items above.

When do we get to a healthy and mutually respecting, win-win crew management style? I think we are on the way there, but the process is slow and still in the starting blocks. Are we going to hear the opening bell on this one?

Hope to see this before I retire..

Good luck to all of us. :cool:

intake
15th Jan 2015, 20:22
You rock! How about spice jet or indiGo......haha :ok: