PDA

View Full Version : Insurance - comments?

undertheweather
3rd Jun 2002, 13:15
I would appreciate any views, and recommendations, for insurance companies that cover privately owned single-engined aircraft. I wouldn't want to go with a particular company on price, only to find that they are less keen to know me if a claim arises. Aircraft use would be a mixture of touring and aerobatics. Also, are there any pitfalls out there that I should be aware of?

cblinton@blueyonder.
3rd Jun 2002, 13:58
We use Traffords who are currently dealing with a large claim after landing on Worthing beach. I will let you know how good they are when the A/C is ready to fly home.
Regards.

Keef
3rd Jun 2002, 15:17
There aren't that many Lloyds' Syndicates that cover light aircraft, so whichever broker you use, it's likely you'll end up with WAIG.

I'd recommend calling round for a few quotes, and ask which syndicate they're using. Some will tell you there's no point in asking for quotes, but that's wrong. Our last renewal got quotes ranging between £1,400 and £3,100.

We ended up with M P Bolshaw, and are happy.

flickoff
3rd Jun 2002, 15:42
Bolshaws do ours too. Just finalising a claim with the loss adjusters who seem to be have been more than fair. As the earlier poster said, if you shop around all roads seem to lead back to the same underwriters. The pricer diferential will be the brokers commission which I think is about 20 odd percent,

Only other thing I would say, make sure the aerobatics is covered. Our polciy has a specifc endorsement to include competetion aeros and air displays.

FlyingForFun
5th Jun 2002, 09:47
Can't comment on aircraft insurance, because I've never had to buy any myself.

But I have used Traffords for travel insurance, and the service was excellent. Called them up for a quote, got a number over the phone with written confirmation arriving the next day. Went through the small-print, discovered it didn't cover me for aerobatics. Another phone-call - they couldn't quote on the phone this time since what I was asking for was non-standard, but quote and revised documentation arrived in the post the next day. All very quick and efficient.

Fortunately didn't have to make a claim, so can't comment on that side of things.

FFF
--------------

stiknruda
5th Jun 2002, 11:17
Insurance.

I alternate between MP Bolshaw and HR Jennings - I normally insure one aircraft with each company but tell them that I am having the other quote, too.

Bolshaw's coverage for the aerobatic aeroplane is pretty good and worked out £400 cheaper than Jennings. The quotes for my vintage aeroplane are within a few quid of each other so I tend to swap them around every couple of years.

Traffords did settle a claim against travel insurance with all fixed wing flying risks, after a mate of mine had an horrendous accident in RSA. Initially they stated that they would only pay 70% of costs because the accident happened during an aeros trg sortie and aerobatics was not covered. Ultimately they agreed to pay 100%.

Hope that this helps.

Stik

yogibear
7th Jun 2002, 06:41
Hey guys,,

Just a quick question..do you think any of the above would do insurance on a helo ?

Cheers

Mark.

sennadog
1st Aug 2002, 14:26
Can anyone point me in the direction of an Insurance Broker or Company who can offer Travel Cover for "dangerous pursuits" such as flying and sailing? My existing cover extends to Sailing (bareboat charter for instance on holiday) and although they will cover me for parachuting/hang gliding/gliding they say that GA is out of their remit.

I don't understand why but there you go.:confused: Alternatvely, would I be better off joining AOPA or PFA for some cover?

Cheers All.

Ludwig
1st Aug 2002, 16:02
I used tim Walker at Ashwood Law near Leicester. He arranged an extention to the off the shelf travel insurance to include Aeros training in the USA. Pilot himself so he'll know what your talking about. Added about 35% to the basic price for an annual policy.

01530 817775