PDA

View Full Version : UK to UAE and return - licensing/training

T250
21st Dec 2014, 10:53
What is the process of a UK qualified and trained ATCO moving to UAE (Dubai, Abu Dhabi etc) to continue in ATC at an airport or centre there and then after some time (3-10 years) returning to work back in the UK again?

What are the rules around licensing and training etc? And is this the same for all countries around the world say for example UK ATCO moves to USA for several years and then returns back to UK and continues in ATC here again.

I understand that most if not all countries issue aviation licenses based for their country only and therefore there may be some sort of conversions involved, but how does that work if you return? So a CAA issued licence from the UK would get converted to a UAE one with the obvious OJTI at individual airport or centre?

Just curious, any answers appreciated! :)

Chilli Monster
21st Dec 2014, 12:28
For you - 4 years is the magical figure. After that time, on return to the UK, you'd have to do an APC in any of the ratings you'd wish to use. Time using them outside the country doesn't count.

Red Dragon
21st Dec 2014, 12:38
As Chilli rightly says, you have do APCs in the ratings you will be validating at the UK unit you are going to. I believe there is also a time limit within which you have to start the training at the unit.

I did it once having been in the UAE for 6 years (have since returned to the sandpit) and given you have to perform to college standard in the APC it's quite daunting, especially for a rating you haven't used in anger for some time e.g. Approach Procedural.

But it's doable so don't let it put you off. Just keep that 4 year milestone in mind if you do plan to return. Some come here and become happy to stay long term so it becomes less of an issue as time goes on.

USA isn't an option anyway unless you have citizenship.