PDA

View Full Version : A 320 a watchkiller?

Hahn
20th Dec 2014, 17:32
Since i started flying the 320 series 14 years ago I experienced a series of damages to mechanical wristwatches. They seem to wear a lot faster and sometimes show damages linked to shocks or drops according to my watchmaker. I do assume that the position of the watch on the armrest with the axis of the moving parts parallel to the horizon is playing a part since every single shock from runway lights to landings is send straight into the watch at the most damaging angle.
So far the bus has "eaten" a Glashuette (in all fairness not a pilots watch) an Omega and a Breitling; the only watch id did not kill was a Fortis.
Did any of you guys made a similar experience or can you recommend a watch that withstands an airbus? I love my old Navitimer for the calculator function but hate to have it fixed every three years.
A cheap quartz watch or learning to land the beast softly are no options, thanks.

bingofuel
20th Dec 2014, 18:02
Wear your watch on your other wrist!

Hahn
21st Dec 2014, 17:58
It is no wind up, it is always the connection between the rotor and the spring thst goes so no winding at all.

Hahn
22nd Dec 2014, 02:40
Most of the watches worked like clockwork as long as I flew conventional aircraft and started misbeheaving on the bus. I just wondered if other guys made the same experience.

lederhosen
22nd Dec 2014, 04:14
Misbeheaving?.....with a Miss Demeanour or after a good night out, or is this perhaps an Airbus specific activity? Maybe the experts could advise.

G&T ice n slice
22nd Dec 2014, 08:21
I have found on occasion when driving long-ish distances in a variety of cars

(a) spare glasses - if left in the tray between front seats the main screws gradually unscrew themselves.
(b) cameras in a bag, in the passenger footwell, various small screws unscrew themselves.

Taught me always to carry a jeweller's type screwdriver set around with me.

It is quitye possible that there is some vibrational frequency that is damaging the watches somehow...

foxmoth
22nd Dec 2014, 19:22
To me a watch is a tool not a status symbol so I steer clear of the pricy stuff and keep to a cheap Casio, it tells the time just as well as something costing hundreds and - even flying an Airbus - I have had the same one for the last five years!

Hahn
24th Dec 2014, 13:27
Thanks for all the usefull comments gents, got the answer from Breitling in the meantime. A very happy christmas to all of you.

Sygyzy
24th Dec 2014, 15:01
Well - what did Breitling say? You can't just leave it hanging.:rolleyes:

foxmoth
24th Dec 2014, 21:27
They said "go and buy a Casio":}