PDA

View Full Version : Circle to land - Missed Approach Point question

Superpilot
10th Dec 2014, 10:23
Never been in the situation or had the chance to discuss but a spot of revision got me thinking. Consider a circle to land manoeuvre preceded by a VOR approach with Missed Approach Point (MAP) a couple of miles before the threshold of the runway associated with said VOR approach. Is there any requirement to overfly the MAP whilst on the course that was originally intended for it or do you simply proceed to the original MAP on the most suitable heading until you get there then commence the (now very messy looking) Missed Approach Procedure?

Thanks

172_driver
10th Dec 2014, 15:26
I have to say I am not really able to visualize the situation you are describing. Is it a go-around from say downwind, base or final you are talking about? I believe the textbook description would be words to the effect off: climb towards the landing runway and follow the missed approach procedure for the original instrument approach

My take on it; From any point on the circling maneuver I have a plan in mind that will hold me over low terrain and establish on the missed approach track without flying in 8's above the runway. Some brief missed procedure that would induce vertigo before completing the turning. If I can get to the MDA I know I will be terrain safe for 4,2 nm around the field. On all engines the climb gradient won't be a problem anyway.

A practical approach rather than a complicated, theoretically correct, one.

Superpilot
10th Dec 2014, 20:31
I think it's a simple question I'm just not putting it across simply enough. OK, let's take LGIR as an example:

http://i59.tinypic.com/70b0w2.jpg

I've depicted what I'm trying to get at below:

Green shows the flight path whilst still on the VOR approach and up to the point where on the circle to land procedure lets say visual reference is lost. In red, there is a solid line indicating the "direct" path back to the MAP (albeit from the "wrong" direction). The dashed red line attempts to show what I'm getting at, aka is there a requirement to overfly the MAP whilst on the original (VOR approach) track? If not, then then how does one go about understanding the missed approach procedure which calls for a turn to the RIGHT into some pretty solid stone?

http://i57.tinypic.com/33wwox3.png

glendalegoon
10th Dec 2014, 20:38
I know exactly what you are talking about.

IF the MAP is some distance from the airport, the portion from the MAP to the airport is VISUAL and you lose the missed approach obstruction clearance.

SO, someday look at south lake tahoe apch some time and guess what...IF you miss after the MAP you are sort of on your own; so get to the MAP and then follow missed apch procedure

OR hope you get something right ;-)

OhNoCB
10th Dec 2014, 21:01
Maybe I am grossly misunderstanding the point but they way I understand what you are saying is that you are suggesting that you would still turn right on the missed approach. Apologies if I have misunderstand but since you are approaching from the opposite direction why not go for a left turn.

172_driver
10th Dec 2014, 21:25
Thanks, that's what I thought you meant.

If you loose visual where the green ends I would certainly go straight to the VOR and then left turn to establish on the 040 radial.

As you said, taking the missed approach procedure literally will take you into dangerous territority. Having the situational awareness, knowing where you are and where you intend to go is the key.

Level Attitude
10th Dec 2014, 23:18
a VOR approach with Missed Approach Point (MAP) a couple of miles before the threshold of the runwayIn the Plate shown the MAPt is on the Airfield. It is the Decision Point (governed by the DA/DH) which is several miles from the 27 Threshold.

The MAPt is the start of the Missed Approach Procedure so on a Missed Approach it would be sensible to start from, or as close as practical to, the MAPt. So there must be a workable plan to achieve this

If starting a Circle to Land I would set 040 as I turned Cross Wind and would intercept this radial (by turning right if already passed) if I later lost Visual references.

Turning Downwind I would set 090 and from then on I would be planning to Intercept, and Track the 270 Radial to the MAPt if a Missed Approach was required (Left turns from Downwind or Base).

Superpilot,
The Plate says 'Circle-to-Land' is not authorised South of the Runway. Due to the obstacles marked I would say that was very sensible.
This means your dashed red line Track is not allowed.

I would also point out that it doesn't take you to the MAPt (or any other point on the Missed Approach Procedure) but rather straight towards an 587' tower.

Superpilot
10th Dec 2014, 23:21
Thanks all

OhNoCB, not quite. Given the point 172_driver makes about situational awareness obviously one would never do that. However, I see this as self interpretation rather than following "the written word" (Increasingly discovering there's a lot of that in aviation). I think my original question still stands. Forgetting the missed approach procedure for a second, is there still an official requirement to fly to the missed approach point via the original VOR course? (immediate climb allowed)

Edit to say:
Good point LA, schoolboy mistake. In that case, assume a similar track to the north in order to get back to the MAP via the original course. So much for situational awareness!

Level Attitude
10th Dec 2014, 23:59
The Plate shown is for the VOR+DME Instrument Approach to Rwy 27 at LGIR.

Any time on that Approach (even once visual) then, unless otherwise instructed by ATC, the published Missed Approach Procedure should be flown - which is straight ahead to the VOR then a Right Turn to Track 085 in Order to intercept the 040 Radial.

A Visual Circle to Land is allowed of this Approach.

However once a Circle to Land is started you are no longer on the published Instrument Approach so the published Missed Approach Procedure does not apply and if Visual references are lost it is, indeed, up to you what you do.

Using a Moving Map GPS would be too easy and my suggestions, in my previous Post, are based on the possibility of an aircraft fitted only with a VOR and a DME being allowed to fly this Approach.

peekay4
11th Dec 2014, 05:47
Hmm, I don't think that's quite right.

- Visual approach. A visual approach is not considered an instrument approach procedure, and doesn't have a missed approach segment. If you can't make the landing, you perform a "go around" (not a "missed approach"), under direction of the ATC.

- Circling approach. Circling approach (circle-to-land) is part of an instrument procedure. Under FAA/ICAO/EASA regulations, you are required to fly the published missed approach procedure if visual reference is lost during the circling maneuver.

- The accepted technique (see FAR AIM 5-4-21) is to initiate a climbing turn towards the landing runway (to remain within the protected area) before joining / intercepting the missed approach path. Same guidance under PANS-OPS.

- It is not necessary to approach the MAP from the "original course".

- Generally you are expected to follow the missed approach instructions for the instrument procedure. E.g., in this case, the missed approach procedure for VOR RWY 27.

- HOWEVER, I believe EASA guidelines gives you the option -- if you lose visual reference after you've already circled and lined up to (e.g.) RWY 9 in the above example, then you are allowed to execute the missed approach procedure for RWY 9 if one is defined. (In this case at LGIR, RWY 9 doesn't have an instrument procedure, so this option does not apply).

- The FAA doesn't explicitly have similar guidelines, but 14 CFR 91.175(e) says the pilot shall execute "an appropriate missed approach procedure". You as the PIC get to decide what is the "appropriate procedure" under the circumstances. (And hopefully make the correct determination.)

- Some charts will have a missed approach procedure specifically for circling approaches. If so, then you're expected to follow the procedure as published.

Edit: here's the wording from AIM 5-4-21(c):

c. If visual reference is lost while circling-to-land from an instrument approach, the missed approach specified for that particular procedure must be followed (unless an alternate missed approach procedure is specified by ATC). To become established on the prescribed missed approach course, the pilot should make an initial climbing turn toward the landing runway and continue the turn until established on the missed approach course. Inasmuch as the circling maneuver may be accomplished in more than one direction, different patterns will be required to become established on the prescribed missed approach course, depending on the aircraft position at the time visual reference is lost. Adherence to the procedure will help assure that an aircraft will remain laterally within the circling and missed approach obstruction clearance areas.

Superpilot
11th Dec 2014, 06:47
Thank you LA and Peekay

I would appreciate some thoughts from someone closer to EASA regs if they are in the know.

mustafagander
11th Dec 2014, 08:14
Analysis - what is the straight forward VOR approach missed approach procedure plan? Answer - to intercept and track R040 of the IRA VOR.

Well then, at any point of the circling approach, turn towards R090 IRA and intercept R040 and you will be safe and will fulfill the intent of the procedure.

Even if it's not spelled out line by line, you wear 4 gold bars so use your airmanship and fly what the procedure designer intended and did, in fact, specify for the VOR straight in approach.