PDA

View Full Version : family members in the flight deck

Philip Mew
7th Dec 2014, 15:31
This topic appears comes up often on my airline's pilot's forum.
Before 9-11, family members could ride in the jumpseat and was the Captain's call. Forbidden since 9-11.

What's the policy at your company regarding a family member riding in a flight deck jumpseat ?

eckhard
7th Dec 2014, 16:11
Major UK airline : not allowed

Bealzebub
7th Dec 2014, 16:15
Many governments have restricted the use of flight deck seats (in flight) to those with a specific operational need to be there. In such cases the use of those seats by non-authorised personnel is prohibited by law or by legally mandated instruction.

It therefore doesn't matter what the airlines "policy" is, since (in those cases) it is very unlikely the airline would flout the laws under which they are required to comply.

For those airlines not so constrained, I doubt they would want their employees advertising the fact on internet forums.

Dash8driver1312
7th Dec 2014, 20:00
Captain's discretion in line with company policy under the oversight of whichever national airspace being flown through.

RTN11
7th Dec 2014, 20:26
UK airline:

Clearly stated in ops manually that family members are forbidden to use the jumpseat in flight. Such a shame, would love to take my girlfriend or kid up for a ride, but no can do, will have to stick to the warrior for those trips.

OhNoCB
7th Dec 2014, 21:14
UK airline again; not specifically forbidden and technically *could* be allowed, given that ops manual says that noone can be in the flight deck except for operational reasons, but there is a provision that allows PHFO to approve visits outside this purpose with written consent. I expect that a request for the girlfriend would be ignored/denied however.