PDA

View Full Version : Aerodrome classifications

framer
3rd Dec 2014, 01:30
Can anyone provide me with a link to aerodrome classifications in Australia?
Are class D aerodromes the big Internationals like YSSY and YMML?
Cheers

OverRun
3rd Dec 2014, 03:31
Might need to be a little more precise. Is this code as in aircraft type or class as in airspace or even category as in FAA approach?

framer
3rd Dec 2014, 04:02
Good point. I'll give some context.
I was reading the Jepps about taxi calls in Australia and there was a paragraph that said for "category D aerodromes with parallel runways operations in progress ........ "
Hopefully that makes it a bit clearer.
Thanks

OverRun
3rd Dec 2014, 09:32
It's an airspace thing - Class D airspace. This is similar to the FAA Class D. Class D is used for the Terminal Control Zones of medium sized airports, extending from the surface up to 2,500 feet (760 m) AGL. These are typically the GA airports in capital cities.

BOAC
3rd Dec 2014, 15:03
framer - it will take some searching but this question has come up and been answered already this year. I believe there was reference to a classification document, and it involves runway widths etc etc.

OverRun
4th Dec 2014, 06:05
Hi BOAC. The runway width thing is code as in aircraft type. ICAO code D means the bigger passenger jets, and is usually 45m for runway width.

It is a bit confusing between all the codes and categories. I don't think it is the one here, because Australia had a whole big thing changing from GAAP to Class D airspace for the parallel runway airports, but I've been caught before and am always open to correction.

framer
4th Dec 2014, 23:55
Thanks, your time is appreciated.

peekay4
5th Dec 2014, 01:59
I believe OverRun is correct. The Jepp note should probably say "Class D" instead of "Category D". The note refers to operations under the following standard:

10.3.2.4 At Class D aerodromes, ATC may authorise simultaneous, same direction operations on:
(a) parallel runways; or
(b) parallel landing areas; or
(c) a runway and a parallel landing area;
only if:
(d) Class D visual meteorological conditions exist, or visual separation between the relevant aircraft is applied; and
(e) 2-way radio communication is maintained with the aircraft involved; and
...etc...

Manual of Standards Part 172 - Air Traffic Services (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2014C00159/Html/Text#_Toc294275755)

Note: ICAO aerodrome reference classification is always a number followed by a letter, e.g., "4D". The letter ("D") actually refers to supported aircraft wingspan, so it doesn't define a category for the aerodrome itself.

dubbleyew eight
6th Dec 2014, 06:03
bzzzzt. correction.

Australia had a whole big thing changing from GAAP to Code D airspace

GAAP, general aviation airport procedures were changed to CLASS D airspace procedures.

the Code D in your explanation is a confusing typo.