PDA

View Full Version : RAF Woodvale..what service AFIS ???

magpienja
1st Dec 2014, 19:13
I wonder can anybody tell me what service RAF Woodvale provides ATC wise for civilian a/c.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st Dec 2014, 20:33
Bell them for a definitive answer...

Talkdownman
1st Dec 2014, 20:58
ATC wise
Well, it must be ATC, then…unless you mean 'ATS-wise'…
My useless out-of-date Jepps show 'Tower' and 'Approach', with 'Radio outside operating hours' (if that makes sense…).

AFIS is meant to be the minimum level of ATS for certain Public Transport ops, so it must really be a civil thing…(Yes, yes, I know, MoD Fleetlands and MoD Netheravon have had AFIS too…)

Talkdownman
1st Dec 2014, 21:54
I've always wondered what the AIP was for
Not least, information about civil licensed aerodromes, which Woodvale isn't. It's a Government aerodrome, detailed descriptions of which are not listed in the AIP. (The one exception to this exclusion is Northolt which is regularly used by civilian business aviation)

Squadgy
2nd Dec 2014, 14:06
Woodvale provide ATC - a non-radar Approach service 121.0 and a Tower 119.750

magpienja
2nd Dec 2014, 17:08
Thank you.

ShyTorque
2nd Dec 2014, 18:23
I've always wondered what the AIP was for.
Sorry I can't give you the answer........I just can't be bothered to go to the AIS website right now

If you could have been bothered, you might have understood why the OP asked the question here.

Talkdownman
2nd Dec 2014, 20:50
Are they not civilians under contract to MoD to provide ATS i.a.w. JSP318A (or whatever the number is these days)…? Serco? If they are civvies they are probably ex-mil anyway. They are welcome to providing APP-only in Class G. I always had the impression that for access to EGOW one had to be in the know, nudge-nudge.