PDA

View Full Version : A320 cockpit air supply

EpsilonVaz
29th Nov 2014, 02:28
Hello I was just wondering where the air supply on the flight deck comes from, because whenever someone takes a s*** I can smell it within about 5 seconds and it usually interrupts my dinner. I don't know if other types are like this as I've only flown the 320.

Skipping Classes
29th Nov 2014, 05:16
That's by design: if somebody smokes in the lavatory the captain is the first to know!

McNugget
29th Nov 2014, 06:21
I'd be slightly concerned if you didn't know where the flight deck air supply came from, on an aircraft you're type-rated on.

Superpilot
29th Nov 2014, 08:08
EV,

There are circulation fans that "circulate" air between the cabin, flight deck and lavs. This ought to be basic knowledge for someone like you. Did you post that whilst drunk (on poo fumes)?

speed_alive_rotate
29th Nov 2014, 10:28
HAHA! Thanks @Superpilot, you gave me a great laugh on a Saturday morning!!!

Coffin Corner
29th Nov 2014, 10:34
Did it occur to anyone that he could be SLF?

Amadis of Gaul
30th Nov 2014, 10:21
Then why is he asking about the flight deck?

Superpilot
30th Nov 2014, 11:01
He's been PRaPed, obviously....

(PPrUNe raped = someone posts on your behalf)

Bealzebub
30th Nov 2014, 13:02
The Flight deck air comes from a mixer unit which is supplied by two air conditioning packs (when available) and recirculated air from the cabin. It is temperature regulated (normally) by trim air supplied from hot air upstream of the air conditioning packs. It is fairly egalitarian in that the flight deck and the cabin receive their supplies from the same principle source. On an aircraft such as the Boeing 757 the flight deck conditioned air is normally a dedicated supply source tapped downstream from the left air conditioning pack, rather than recirculated air.

The Galleys and toilets are ventilated by cabin air drawn through an extraction fan that is vented in the vicinity of the outflow valve. That air is not recirculated assuming the fans are working, (and they normally run all of the time when electrical power is available.)

If you are sat in the vicinity of the toilets, then you might well be wafted with whatever floral aroma is prevalent when the cubicle door is opened, however there is no recirculation of that air from the extracted air back into the recirculation supply, other than what might be termed environmental escape.

Superpilot
30th Nov 2014, 17:15
Yep, that's what I meant :ok:

wafted

environmental escape.

There's a lot of that flying to the usual bucket and spade destinations, and generally speaking, the more Northern the point of departure, the worse is the experience :}